Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Cleaning lady lunch
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 8:32 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I've also never heard of giving a cleaning lady lunch unless they work a full day. Mine comes for 3-4 hours, when she comes I always offer her a hot or cold drink, she always declines. Occasionally I've had a cleaning lady who will say yes. And I have no idea what she does the rest of her day, I find it odd that people arrange the day for their cleaning ladies down to their lunchtime. Most workers plan their own schedules.
I'd find it very difficult to give lunch, most times I'm not home, and when I am I have hard enough time preparing my own food, usually I just grab some crackers and a fruit or yoghurt, to start to have to make a meal for someone else would defeat the whole purpose of having help. If I have someone on shabbos or yt lunch time then I prepare a plate for them because we are all eating anyway.

It’s a different situation because OP and her friends booked this cleaning lady for an entire day, so lunch is included. But all the families should pool together for her lunch.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 8:41 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
It’s a different situation because OP and her friends booked this cleaning lady for an entire day, so lunch is included. But all the families should pool together for her lunch.

To clarify the way this started is someone sent out a text in my development something like
“Trying a new cleaning lady. Available Tuesday 8-3, Wednesday and Thursday 1230-3.” I said I will take 1230-3.

I don’t even have the lady’s phone number

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 9:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To clarify the way this started is someone sent out a text in my development something like
“Trying a new cleaning lady. Available Tuesday 8-3, Wednesday and Thursday 1230-3.” I said I will take 1230-3.

This is why I don't like these complicated group arrangements. Too many potential issues with sharing hours, stepping on people's toes, dealing with people who take advantage (I.e. keeping the cleaning laft an extra 20 minutes on the next person's dime, etc). Not worth the headache.

watergirl

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 10:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

All you have to do is ask the cleaning lady for her phone number. Whats the issue here? And tell her she can take a lunch break but it is unpaid. My lunch break is a mandated 30 minutes but its unpaid. Most of us are not paid for lunch.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 10:08 am
Here is an example of what just happened yesterday- I had a lady from 8-1
So she came, I gave her coffee and 4 peices of toast, butter
She spent maybe 10 min on eating.
So after 1, when paid her, handed her lunch to go.
That way she gets the meals but not too much time is taken off of working time.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 10:27 am
I don’t understand giving meals to cleaning help that are there for 4 hours or less. I used to clean houses in EY and it never crossed my mind to expect that, and no one ever offered. The last thing I wanted was to spend more time at work, eating. I wanted to get out of there as soon as I was done. Didn’t want to be friends with my employers. Didn’t want to be their unpaid marriage counselor. Didn’t want to be their babysitter. Didn’t want their shidduchim advice. Didn’t want to sit around eating their food. It’s just a job, don’t be afraid to act like the employer. I personally didn’t appreciate the families that wanted to become my buddy AT ALL.

I don’t have cleaning help but lots of ladies here do and the cleaners usually drive to work and eat lunch in their cars between houses. Nicer for them to have a little time to themselves to make phone calls and listen to their music.

professor

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 10:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Today I had a new cleaning lady from 1230-3 (ended up coming five mins late and leaving 5 mins early ), so she was here for 2 hours 20 mins).
As soon as she got there the lady who had connected us texted me and said “just a reminder to give her lunch! Thanks!”
She ended up sitting down for about 20 mins and eating schnitzel.
It seemed a little crazy to me that it was a “paid lunch break” and was almost 20% of the total time she was by me (and she was very slow so those 20 mins would’ve been valuable ...)
I thought providing lunch is more understood to be a sit down lunch if they are by you all day or let’s say 10-3 sort of thing, of course they need a break. But given she was only there 2.33 hours it seemed funny to me. Is this the norm?
I had in mind to offer her a snack while she was there (yogurt? Granola bar? Fruit ? That sort of thing), and of course give her water and send her home with a snack too.

I’m hearing now that she did three houses, and mine was in the middle l, so I guess if not for me she would get no break all day. And while that sounds like no good, I would definitely prefer she come to my house at 1230 and sit and relax and eat lunch and whatever, and then go on the clock at 1.

Just want to see what the norm is

I’m in Lakewood fwiw and she charged $15/hr

This makes no sense. If someone works by you for 2 hours you don't owe them any lunch. Let her go for lunch in her own time...

If I ever have a cleaning lady I would pack her a lunch as she leaves. (Unless some people have cleaning help for a lot of hours)

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 11:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I realize this is off topic but I don't think I would want a cleaning lady under those circumstances anyway.

That is a LOT of stuff to clean because presumably all three of the homes are having the hardest stuff done. When a cleaning lady comes for a whole day, typically there is some stuff that isn't as physically taxing that is also done during the day.

Even my cleaning lady who only works about 3 or so hours does stuff like folding clothing or dusting or other stuff that isn't as hard as scrubbing floors or scouring toilets.

She also puts things away for me in a very organized fashion. I use inexpensive wash cloths to dry my face and so I usually keep several folded on my bathroom counter. I had bought some lucite type organizers that have little dividers - theoretically you store eyeshadow palettes upright. I had one left over and it had just been on my bathroom counter waiting for me to do something with it since I am not very organized. LOL When she had left, I saw she had taken washcloths - rolled them and inserted them into the organizer. It looked so spa-like and I never would have thought of it. Obviously it took her a bit of time to roll them but that was fine with me in terms of her using her time in that manner. But my point is that it wasn't hard physical labor but it certainly contributed to enhancing my bathroom.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ok, so I've never heard of that sort of situation. In my experience when people say their cleaner has free time, they just pass on her number and the next person makes their own arrangements. Then its upto the cleaning lady to schedule time for herself to eat.
Where I live I often see cleaning ladies sitting on a bench snacking.
I mean if my cleaner would want to help herself to fruit or whatever, then by all means. Whenever I have s1 new I show them where I keep my drinks, plastic cups, and she will very quickly figure out where I keep eth else.
I work in an office with just my boss, it's a 4 hour day. She showed me where the tea and coffee is, she keeps some drinks there, but I bring my own food to snack if I'm hungry. Not lunch, just sth I can nibble while working. I would never expect lunch, and would feel very uncomfortable if I were made to sit and eat

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 12 2021, 12:14 pm
Amarante wrote:
I realize this is off topic but I don't think I would want a cleaning lady under those circumstances anyway.

That is a LOT of stuff to clean because presumably all three of the homes are having the hardest stuff done. When a cleaning lady comes for a whole day, typically there is some stuff that isn't as physically taxing that is also done during the day.

Even my cleaning lady who only works about 3 or so hours does stuff like folding clothing or dusting or other stuff that isn't as hard as scrubbing floors or scouring toilets.

She also puts things away for me in a very organized fashion. I use inexpensive wash cloths to dry my face and so I usually keep several folded on my bathroom counter. I had bought some lucite type organizers that have little dividers - theoretically you store eyeshadow palettes upright. I had one left over and it had just been on my bathroom counter waiting for me to do something with it since I am not very organized. LOL When she had left, I saw she had taken washcloths - rolled them and inserted them into the organizer. It looked so spa-like and I never would have thought of it. Obviously it took her a bit of time to roll them but that was fine with me in terms of her using her time in that manner. But my point is that it wasn't hard physical labor but it certainly contributed to enhancing my bathroom.

That’s really an excellent point
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette