Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Anyone idea's for technology awareness project in 6th grade

HILY

Post Sat, Jan 02 2021, 4:03 pm
I'm trying to create a project for my students about technology awareness. I'm not looking for a curriculum just a project, learning in a fun way about the disadvantages of technology and why it should be avoided or limited (e.g. filtered,...).

Most of the girls have their own devices or at least access to internet so it is very important to work on explaining them what's it all about. I want them to really understand it so it should be easier for them to accept it.

Any idea's? Or does someone know about such or a similar project?

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Jan 02 2021, 6:11 pm
Maybe pick a more narrow topic under the tech umbrella, like cyber bullying, internet addiction, truth vs reality on social media? Or assign different topics to different groups to teach our create a brochure about. This site has a lot of great lesson ideas: https://www.commonsense.org/ed.....afety

It sounds like you will need to tweak/modify to fit your community standards.

morahmommy2

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 10:21 pm
Would love to know what you ended up doing for this?

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 10:39 pm
I don't think the parents would appreciate pressure from a teacher about this topic.
Most parents want to be the ones to make these kind of decisions.

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 3:05 am
When I think of technology I think of electric and gas stoves. When I read articles that just say technology is bad we should stop using it I'm like sorry I like my kitchen to much to go back to the days of wood burning stoves, no running water ect.

If I had to do a project on technology awareness for my 6 grader she would be bring in a report on how technology is grate, after all who wants to wash clothes by hand? Do you want to live in a world that has no freezers? I do not.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 3:19 am
Instead of focusing on "tech is bad", maybe do a unit on critical thinking and decision making skills. By the time these girls are adults, there will be all kinds of new technologies out there for them to deal with. You're better off helping them develop their internal resources - the filter between their ears. Then they can adapt the skills as needed.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 3:42 am
My kids school is having a no chat contest. My kids and I sign a sheet every night saying they didn't use their devices to group chat. At the end of 2 weeks, they are getting some kind of reward

salt

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 3:51 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I don't think the parents would appreciate pressure from a teacher about this topic.
Most parents want to be the ones to make these kind of decisions.

I disagree. I think often kids don't like listening to their parents, but if it comes from school, and is discussed in class, it has a better effect.

Rappel

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 3:58 am
I would love to see a unit done on internet/chat safety, and critical thinking about information fed to you online. What they do to trick you into engaging and believing. How you can spot problems and make your own decisions.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 4:17 am
Start with the wheel, then move on to the printing press, the cotton gin, and then the gasoline engine.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:06 am
Teaching about being safe online-how you don't really know who's at the other end, about not giving out personal information, how fake things really are. You could ask TAG for support. I know where I live they do offer workshops about internet safety (but I'm OOT).

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 7:16 am
My dd’s BY high school does technology awareness projects where they talk about people getting addicted to their phones. They have contests like shutting off your phone after 10 or spending no more than 2 hours a day on your phone. It’s assumed that everyone has filters and isn’t on the internet without supervision so they don’t talk much about the dangers of unfiltered internet. They help the girls have awareness of the dangers of lashon hara spreading so easily with group chats, dangers of oversharing, breaches of tznius, loss of sensitivity and ability to listen to others, fake expectations about beauty and dating caused by instagram and simcha sites, and especially addiction to phones and how it can keep you from growth in ruchnius because every time you’re feeling down you turn to your phone to distract you.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:16 am
Penimi has a curriculum, but I'm not sure if only for high school level or also middle school.

cbsp

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:19 am
I realize that OP posted this a few months ago but I did want to share the following.

This message gets sent monthly by the moderators of a "freecyle" group :

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE:

Recyclers/Freecyclers are a cross section of the general population.

That means the vast majority are friendly, honest and law-abiding. But even in our friendly suburb there are a few people who may be nasty, dishonest, or even criminals, and they can join freecycle just like anyone else.

Therefore please BE AWARE OF THE POTENTIAL RISKS.

When you post, DO NOT include sensitive personal information such as your children's names and ages, your financial situation, your health condition, or anything else that you wouldn't post on a large billboard downtown.

When you give or pick up items, consider using one or more of these Good Practices:

* Arrange to meet in a public place.

* Leave the item on the porch without mentioning
whether or not you will be home -- keep your door locked.

* If you must keep the item inside due to weather or any other reason, do not invite a stranger into your home -- tell them to wait on the porch and bring the item out to them.

* If the item is not right there, lock the door while
you go to get it.

* If the item is large and the recipient must come in
to get it, be sure you are not alone at the time of the appointment.

In any case, WE ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY RISK.

Hi everyone,

To you my screen name may be momof2 or wifeofjohnsmith or whatever purely platonic name I chose to use for myself so you could identify with me. I am not a wife, mother, not even a woman.........I am a predator. I sit on my computer all day, belonging to community groups and reading every email posted. I am looking for that one email that is always out there.......you know the one. The one that gives a person's name and their address or the one that gives their phone number. Maybe I will be lucky today and find one that even mentions their children's names and ages ( I especially love those with the signatures that include that).

Now that I read your postings, and have your name and address or phone number, do you really know who you just gave it to?? Am I a murderer, rapist, child pedophile or all of the above. Maybe. And you just listed your name, phone number and/or address for me to see.

I will now take the information you just graciously offered up to me and everyone else and do a quick easy search on my computer and I will have a map to your house.

Tonight when I get bored.......maybe I will go for a ride and look you up.

SCARY ISN'T IT FOLKS?????????

Although the answer is yes, the attempt here is to remind everyone that although we all belong to the same group, we are all strangers. Members don't know everyone....Moderators don't know everyone. Only you can protect yourself, your family and your property. We know that this Admin is rather lengthy, it is well worth the read. Please take the time to read over it and think about it.

What you are reading does not mean that this has occurred or will occur. It is merely something that the mods have discussed and wanted to share with you.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 9:43 am
Does Magen Yeladim have any material on this?

And no time to reread this, but this might be helpful:
https://cross-currents.com/201.....eens/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics