Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My son wants to be wild
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 6:45 am
My 4 turning 5 ds loves to be wild, but no one else around here appreciates it. He often cries to me that he wants to jump and punch but he has no one to do it with. I want to give him opportunities to use his need for violence and wildness in a healthy way. I know boys fight but he's sandwiched between two brothers who don't do that. For now I am having him build big towers with blocks or magna tiles and kick them down but it's not enough. Any other ideas?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 6:47 am
A punching ball, a trampoline a bounce house would be great for him

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 6:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 4 turning 5 ds loves to be wild, but no one else around here appreciates it. He often cries to me that he wants to jump and punch but he has no one to do it with. I want to give him opportunities to use his need for violence and wildness in a healthy way. I know boys fight but he's sandwiched between two brothers who don't do that. For now I am having him build big towers with blocks or magna tiles and kick them down but it's not enough. Any other ideas?

Let's reframe the whole situation. He is sensory seeking especially for his whole body and needs lots of heavy physical input.
Trampoline
Cocoon swing
Big cushions or pillows to throw around
Pressing a cushion on top of him

Google "heavy work sensory input" and "proprioceptive sensory activities"

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 6:55 am
See if there is some kind of self defense class available for his age group. And try to give him more chances to run around outside and work his energy off. He might also appreciate increased tactile stimulation.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 6:57 am
Build a crash pad for him. Stuff a blanket cover with foam pieces and allow him to jump from high places onto it. This is what OT prescribed for my son.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 7:07 am
For rainy days, find someone who is giving away an old (clean) crib mattress.

Move back the furniture and put it on the floor. When he's done with it, it fits behind the sofa or up against a wall and takes up very little room.

DD absolutely loved this, when she was an extremely energetic 4yo.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 7:30 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Let's reframe the whole situation. He is sensory seeking especially for his whole body and needs lots of heavy physical input.
Trampoline
Cocoon swing
Big cushions or pillows to throw around
Pressing a cushion on top of him

Google "heavy work sensory input" and "proprioceptive sensory activities"

All of these, plus I would also add to the list the following

-an oversized beanbag that he can jump onto (make sure it’s well stuffed)
-a teacher ball using a larger ball that he can punch

I have a few kids who are sensory seeking, some more than others, some more at one age than at other ages. Another thing that we found helpful was weighted blankets. They have so much energy, and they are craving input so much, that they were having a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep. Now with the weighted blankets, they fall asleep nicely and sleep well.

Rappel

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 7:32 am
Climb a tree? Give him challenges like relay races to do?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 7:36 am
I forgot to mention outdoor activities are very limited for us. Thanks for all of the ideas.

Zehava

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 7:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do an exercise routine with him. Push-ups, jumping jacks running etc. put on music and have everyone dance.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 8:13 am
Zehava wrote:
Do an exercise routine with him. Push-ups, jumping jacks running etc. put on music and have everyone dance.

This! Tell him to jump and see how many jumps he can do without stopping, how many push ups or sit ups, make it like a friendly competition where he competes with himself!

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:19 am
Yo can take him to OT. Alternatively, I signed up my sensory child in a trampoline park. We go 1-2 times a week.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:24 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Yo can take him to OT. Alternatively, I signed up my sensory child in a trampoline park. We go 1-2 times a week.

I beat me to it. Take me 4.5 y.o to OT she jumps from counters and headboards and anything else she can climb on

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:28 am
Get him into a gymnastics for boys kind of class. Like fantastic in bp or lakewood.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:33 am
Get him OT. My five year old is like this and have a lot of sensory issues.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:37 am
My daughter is exactly like this. Just bought her a punching bag and she loves it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
My daughter is exactly like this. Just bought her a punching bag and she loves it.

Can you provide a link to what you purchased?
Has it made her more violent? I feel like people say if you allow children to punch things that they will become more violent or if you let someone made yell it doesn't get rid of the anger, but just encourage it. Have you seen that?

I can't do OT because DH does not allow it and it is not legal for only one parent to consent.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 10:53 am
FIGOLO Kids Punching Bag-Free Standing Boxing Bag for Adults and Kids,Inflatable Punching Bag,Give Children The Opportunity to Relax and Release Excess Energy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J.....psc=1

This is what I got. I don’t find it makes her violent, it lets her get her steam out when she needs to.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 10:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you provide a link to what you purchased?
Has it made her more violent? I feel like people say if you allow children to punch things that they will become more violent or if you let someone made yell it doesn't get rid of the anger, but just encourage it. Have you seen that?

I can't do OT because DH does not allow it and it is not legal for only one parent to consent

Hi, im not an OT, im a SLP. But our fields often overlap. Why does your husband not allow it? There is no shame in going to any type of therapy. How old is your dh?

dena613

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 11:09 am
Outdoor activities you can't do because of the weather? (Can't imagine covid related...)
If I were you, as long as it's not raining or snowing or freezing or boiling... Anywhere from 45-85 degrees would work. Go for a walk around the block. Buy him a bike and have him bike up and down the block. This really helps my very wired kids.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics