Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Daylight savings time

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 10:06 pm
Is there anyone who actually likes it/ benefits from it? I hate losing an hour and throwing off my internal clock, especially right before Pesach.

leah233

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 10:10 pm
I hate it but it would be difficult for frum men, particularly teenagers, without it.

Without DST zman krias shema in the summer would be 8:00.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 10:13 pm
I hate it. It messes with my health.
I'm perfectly fine with it getting dark at 7:30pm instead of 8:30pm.

agreer

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 10:42 pm
leah233 wrote:
I hate it but it would be difficult for frum men, particularly teenagers, without it.

Without DST zman krias shema in the summer would be 8:00.

So what? They'd work around it. Instead of working 9-5, they'd work 9:30-5:30 or 10-6 (does anyone actually work exactly 9-5 anymore?!).

I hate the time change. Pick one and stick to it.

I hate it even more now that I have kids. It's pure rishus. Torturing families for no discernable practical reason in today's age with lights, blackout shades, etc.

essie14

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 11:34 pm
I hate hate hate it.
There is no reason shabbat should start at 4:30 in the winter. I wish they would abolish it!
The entire week after the switch is so hard, both times. Messes up people's internal clocks. More car accidents.
I always joke that's what I would abolish if I ever became PM Smile

pause

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:19 am
No, I hate it. Why do we need a time and then a pretend time?

I hate that the kids stay outdoors so late in the summer because it's still light outside. I hate the changing of the time - our sleep schedule gets thrown off for about a week each time. DH has a hard time davening shachris early for a couple of weeks after DST (and again a few weeks before it changes back) because it's still dark when he wakes up. The whole thing is so dumb.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:33 am
I hate it! I hate the long days and short nights! I hate the long Fridays and long shabbos days! If only they’d listen to me and not move the clock!!!

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 4:08 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I hate it! I hate the long days and short nights! I hate the long Fridays and long shabbos days! If only they’d listen to me and not move the clock!!!

You would still have long days and short nights. That's called "summer." The only difference is that without daylight time, sunrise in New York in mid-June (when there are maximum daylight hours) would be 4:24 instead of 5:24 and sunset would be at 7:31 instead of 8:31. Either way, you still have 15 hours of daylight.

Be glad you don't live in Scotland or Scandinavia, when Shabbat gets out on Tuesday in the summer. In Edinburgh, the latest havdalah is 11:48 pm. Yes, there are Orthodox Jews in Edinburgh. In Helsinki, the sun doesn't set till 10:50 pm in mid-June, which means havdalah is literally on Sunday (past midnight).

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 5:56 pm
zaq wrote:
You would still have long days and short nights. That's called "summer." The only difference is that without daylight time, sunrise in New York in mid-June (when there are maximum daylight hours) would be 4:24 instead of 5:24 and sunset would be at 7:31 instead of 8:31. Either way, you still have 15 hours of daylight.

Be glad you don't live in Scotland or Scandinavia, when Shabbat gets out on Tuesday in the summer. In Edinburgh, the latest havdalah is 11:48 pm. Yes, there are Orthodox Jews in Edinburgh. In Helsinki, the sun doesn't set till 10:50 pm in mid-June, which means havdalah is literally on Sunday (past midnight).

Yes. I know all that! That is probably why jews don’t live in Norway😀.

What I mean is that the kids come inside from playing once it gets dark outside so I get another hour INSIDE the house instead of supervising outside when it’s 99 degrees out. Havdala is also an hour earlier which makes life easier for me.

Zehava

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:25 pm
Love it! I so look forward to getting another hour of sun in the afternoon, it gives me hope, like the heralding of spring and summer after a dreary winter. Don’t love when we gotta go back to darkness though. So depressing.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:31 pm
Hate hate hate day light saving time. I think I have the opposite of SAD(seasonal affect disorder). I hate the long days where it only gets dark at 8:30. I love when it gets dark by 5 pm. The long summer days does something to my body. I just dont like when the sun goes down sooo late.

cbsp

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 6:59 pm
essie14 wrote:
I hate hate hate it.
There is no reason shabbat should start at 4:30 in the winter. I wish they would abolish it!
The entire week after the switch is so hard, both times. Messes up people's internal clocks. More car accidents.
I always joke that's what I would abolish if I ever became PM Smile

Isn't the "winter" time the actual time for your set time zone?

DallasIma

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 7:00 pm
Here in Dallas, Havdalah can get close to 10 p.m. in the summer. I am NOT a night person!! Also, Dallas is sort of in the wrong time zone to begin with. It very rarely gets light before 6-6:30 a.m. any season of the year.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 1:16 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Yes. I know all that! That is probably why jews don’t live in Norway😀.

Yes, they do. Not many, and mainly in Oslo. They have two synagogues, denomination unknown.

https://www.worldjewishcongres.....es/NO

moonstone

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 1:23 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Hate hate hate day light saving time. I think I have the opposite of SAD(seasonal affect disorder). I hate the long days where it only gets dark at 8:30. I love when it gets dark by 5 pm. The long summer days does something to my body. I just dont like when the sun goes down sooo late.

Same here! We're the opposite of most people. 😁

mizle10

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 1:27 pm
I like the actual daylight hours, the longer days make me happy:) but the actual change is torture for me. I am SO not a morning person, that extra hour is a killer for me!!

Pink Flamingo

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 1:32 pm
I hate hate hate it. Mainly because of shabbos. I love winter shabbos. The long friday nights to relax and read are so cozy. And I love having a long saturday night to accomplish tons of housework

I hate the upcoming long fridays and even longer shabbos days
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics