Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Alimentum vs nutramigen thoughts and advice

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:23 pm
Hi so my baby girl is 7 weeks old.
I made a thread the other day about noticing she has a very wet, gurgly vocal quality. she would also bubble at the mouth alot and some nights wake herself up from excess saliva and seem to choke on it. she would never throw up tho. I mean, if she drank too much milk she would throw up the milk.

she was on enfamil gentleease but the gastro told us to switch her formula. she gave us two cans to try out- alimentum nutramigen. the nutramigen my baby hated, on gentleease she could finish 4 oz in 15 mins, she could barely do an oz on the nutramigen. in all fairness, we only tried it for a few feedings over one day.

last night I switched to alimentum and she seems to take it much better but still much slower than the gentlease she was on. it really is such a thick formula it coats the bottles!!

do these formulas really make a diff?how many days do I have t give it for my baby to see if she can handle it? she has spit up a few times on the alimentum I dont really see a diff between it and the gentleease

thanks!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:24 pm
I also find the alimentum very smelly and extremely sticky! normal?

elsily

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:31 pm
The proteins are broken down so it’s easier to digest. They are known to be smelly! Good for dairy and soy intolerance though. Sounds like baby has reflux. Did you talk to the dr about trial of reflux meds?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:32 pm
Alimentum and nutramigen are usually for allergies, like if the baby is allergic to dairy and soy. I tried it with my baby. I’m not sure how it would be helping with gastro issues, but maybe your pediatrician can explain it to you? Maybe it’s because it’s easier to digest?
They are very thick and smelly formulas. My (allergic) baby absolutely hated both, he cried and cried, spit it out, and turned his head away. And the smell made me nauseous while prepping the bottles.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:34 pm
You really gotta give the formula more time
To see how it’s working. Aim for 5 days

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:35 pm
My baby was on allimentum. It is very thick and smells bad. It leaves like a film in the bottle. It was literally a life saver for my baby! She was 5 months old and weighed 3lbs over her birth weight. Everything we tried came right up. Gentle ease, soy, Enfamil AR, reflux meds. She screamed and threw up non stop. The first bottle of allimentum I gave her stayed down. I was in shock.
She’s now 15 months and drinks whole milk in her bottle without problems bh.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:38 pm
Basically what these formulas are:
Protein goes into yours stomach basically as a whole ball. The enzymes in your stomach break it down so that it can be digested. These formulas have an enzyme added into them so that it breaks down on it own.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 1:09 pm
Ask your gi about thickened neocate. That was the only one that made a difference for us. After LOTSSS Of trial and error. Including allimnetum.Plus its kosher, so it's a lot less of a hassle to deal w in the home.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 1:22 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Ask your gi about thickened neocate. That was the only one that made a difference for us. After LOTSSS Of trial and error. Including allimnetum.Plus its kosher, so it's a lot less of a hassle to deal w in the home.

I’ve posted this before, neocate should be used when necessary, not as an easy remedy to a fussy baby. It’s not ideal.

bnm

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:13 pm
Allimentum and Nutramigen are very similar just different brands. I did hear that Alimentum rtf has a bit less dairy in it than the others and no corn so for some kids it makes a huge difference.

They both don't taste good and smell. Some kids don't care.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics