Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Stimulus arriving this wk, who will need yom tov Tzedaka
Previous  1  2  3  4

Chan1e

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 3:52 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Our stimulus is going straight to pay off debt that are pressing for a long time and we have no way of paying off otherwise.
We are still renting an apartment and struggling to pay groceries and tuition.
Being that my DH is working (vs. Kollel) we don't get store discounts or kimcha dpischa. Though we did sign up for Tomchei Shabbos because there's no way we can afford to buy cases and food.

We're still trying to pay off the credit card debt - so glad they have no-interest that grace period!

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 6:10 am
Our stimulus will go to pay off bills. Not going to be anything left for yom tov but it will be helpful

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 7:20 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
So do people who have government benefits shop in Jewish clothing stores and what strollers do they push?

I work 2 jobs, plan my menu around what is on sale, shop at Marshall’s when I shop which is very rare-still wearing sweaters to work from high school, for my children I shop at the Children’s Place Outlet,-they do not match as hand me downs are the best, and my stroller was a Graco.

I live in Lakewood, yeshivish community. I know quite a few ppl that get (lots of) government programs and they do not shop at Jewish stores and do not have fancy strollers or cars or anything like that. They do not go on vacation. They get lots of handme down. They live very simply and shop sales.
Although I do believe that families on programs have it much easier than middle income, it's a myth that you live a fancy lifestyle on those programs. And if you do know ppl like that,they are a minority not the norm.
To the posters who wrote that don't have a car because they're not working, you obviously don't live in Lakewood.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 7:44 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I don’t have time to read & respond to all posts.
I just want to reply to this one.
Your neighbor’s benefits are not proof that poor people are financially ahead than others.
If you’re arguing that people who commit fraud & steal are better off than people who work, I can’t dispute that.
Of course you can be on welfare, cheat on tax returns, default on your rent/mortgage, and live like the rich until you get convicted.
I’m arguing about those asserting that people who are so poor as to be legitimately eligible for substantial programs - and you have to be very poor to qualify for food stamps - can cover their expenses and live the equivalent/similar lifestyle to those not.
Again, you cannot pay tuition, simchas, and basic living expenses other than food on a few hundred dollars a month of food stamps.
(Section 8 is a helpful program but virtually non-existent these days).

ETA - I’m not saying your neighbor is committing fraud but all the people I personally know who live off hefty programs like vouchers and housing assistance do, or they earn some income off the books.

I will not say ppl are committing fraud. I know ppl doing this and they don’t.
You can earn on the books. They file taxes and declare earnings. It’s just not so much.
I’m not saying they have expensive things or live big. Many have a graco or hand me down carriage and clunker car.

Ppl 100% get section 8/HUD.
Maybe not programs to buy houses anymore. (My SIL got that a few years ago. They helped her buy a nice house and pay her monthly mortgage).
Plenty of my family married past 10 years got on. My neighbor married 15 years told me last year was approved. Were I live they open the list every few years. Ppl register and if they have Mazel will get.
There is also affordable housing were you can buy a house at reduced price and locked in taxes. 2 of my close family members have that. It’s also amazing and I am happy for them.
Also a few years ago after hurricane sandy ppl were given $25 thousand to buy a house - forgivable loan. I know a few ppl who bought under that program as well.

Why is 7k/food stamps per year too high number. A family of 8 can receive over 1000/month.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 8:27 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
So do people who have government benefits shop in Jewish clothing stores and what strollers do they push?

I work 2 jobs, plan my menu around what is on sale, shop at Marshall’s when I shop which is very rare-still wearing sweaters to work from high school, for my children I shop at the Children’s Place Outlet,-they do not match as hand me downs are the best, and my stroller was a Graco.
My stroller was a gift. Nothing to do with income.
And children’s place isn’t an option if you’re kids are school age.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics