Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My son wants to be wild
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 4:43 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
This! Tell him to jump and see how many jumps he can do without stopping, how many push ups or sit ups, make it like a friendly competition where he competes with himself!

Zehava wrote:
Do an exercise routine with him. Push-ups, jumping jacks running etc. put on music and have everyone dance.

We've been doing this since he came home from cheder and he likes it. Obviously since it's new. But the interesting thing is how the other kids played along too so he didn't feel so isolated.

I have a small trampoline and I may order a punching ball or bag or a large bean bag.

Thanks.

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 6:12 pm
Sign him up for lessons in any energetic athletic endeavor (well, maybe not hang gliding or sky diving). Martial arts like karate and kung fu are especially good because they teach control.

And change your vocabulary. He's not pining to "be wild"--he needs vigorous physical activity.

cbsp

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 8:39 pm
We bought this book

The Art of Roughhousing: Good Old-Fashioned Horseplay and Why Every Kid Needs It

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1594744874

As recommended by DS's OT

I see it may not be very available now in new paperback but it may be worth it to explore other formats.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 7:21 am
Here in israel there are tons of chugim that could be great for this kind of kid usually starting from 5. I don't know if you have in your area but I have seen kids like this do great in soccer chug, martial arts(which also teaches self control) break - dance chug, horse therapy (subsidized by the kupa).

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 7:42 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Let's reframe the whole situation. He is sensory seeking especially for his whole body and needs lots of heavy physical input.
Trampoline
Cocoon swing
Big cushions or pillows to throw around
Pressing a cushion on top of him

Google "heavy work sensory input" and "proprioceptive sensory activities"

OP, I just wanted to repost the above to make sure you really saw it. Your son is not wild or craving violent activities. He is craving sensory input and you can help him with this.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 7:57 am
watergirl wrote:
OP, I just wanted to repost the above to make sure you really saw it. Your son is not wild or craving violent activities. He is craving sensory input and you can help him with this.

Yes, I saw it. I find this language insistence to be really odd. Yes, my son is a higher energy child than my others. Yes, he likes to be wild and violent. It isn't because something is wrong with him and I don't feel that way. It could be because he is craving sensory input. I can help all of my children with anything and I asked this question to help this child with this need. I just don't understand the need for reframing anything. Also online where they describe other behaviors relating to what amother posted, he doesn't really match that at all, but I appreciated her suggestions.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 9:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, I saw it. I find this language insistence to be really odd. Yes, my son is a higher energy child than my others. Yes, he likes to be wild and violent. It isn't because something is wrong with him and I don't feel that way. It could be because he is craving sensory input. I can help all of my children with anything and I asked this question to help this child with this need. I just don't understand the need for reframing anything. Also online where they describe other behaviors relating to what amother posted, he doesn't really match that at all, but I appreciated her suggestions.

Craving sensory input doesn’t mean there is something wrong with him. It’s very normal, some people just crave more than others.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 9:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Understanding where the need comes from helps you address and find a solution for it. Hence using the right language. Also, I didn't think those were quite the right matches but I figured a Google search in the right general direction would start you down the rabbit hole. I don't know your son after all.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 9:42 am
The reframe is that he’s not violent or wild but a healthy child who needs physical activity.

sequoia

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 9:52 am
Fresh air and sunshine are crucial for health, though.
Where I live, parents take babies and toddlers out every day, in any weather.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:00 am
dancingqueen wrote:
The reframe is that he’s not violent or wild but a healthy child who needs physical activity.

This this this!!!

I think we are confused by the fact that you insist on saying he wants to be wild and violent instead of staying he has lots of energy kah and needs more sensory input.
I think you are overwhelmed and you're fed up. I understand.
I have a kid who behaves similarly, and my mother would definitely have me reframe. (Roll eyes, come on, Ema...) But you know what? She's right!
And so are the ladies here.

Also, I am curious as to why your husband is anti OT. Maybe if you tell us, we can help give you advice on how to get him on board.

And also curious as to why you don't take a kid like this outdoors.
My son's behavior improved as soon as we were out of the 20s and 30s and he was able to bike around the block and run around with neighbors. It really helps him get his tremendous pent-up energy out. (He's an angel for 7 hrs a day in school.)

How can we help you, OP?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:52 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
This this this!!!

I think we are confused by the fact that you insist on saying he wants to be wild and violent instead of staying he has lots of energy kah and needs more sensory input.
I think you are overwhelmed and you're fed up. I understand.
I have a kid who behaves similarly, and my mother would definitely have me reframe. (Roll eyes, come on, Ema...) But you know what? She's right!
And so are the ladies here.

Also, I am curious as to why your husband is anti OT. Maybe if you tell us, we can help give you advice on how to get him on board.

And also curious as to why you don't take a kid like this outdoors.
My son's behavior improved as soon as we were out of the 20s and 30s and he was able to bike around the block and run around with neighbors. It really helps him get his tremendous pent-up energy out. (He's an angel for 7 hrs a day in school.)

How can we help you, OP?

You've helped already with the suggestions. Thank you. And again, I haven't insisted on anything negative, in fact below are quotes from what I said: he's high energy, likes to do violence or wild things and I know it is normal, nothing is wrong with him, etc. Maybe violence is the wrong word but I'm not using it to mean like attacking a person.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, my son is a higher energy child than my others. Yes, he likes to be wild and violent. It isn't because something is wrong with him and I don't feel that way. It could be because he is craving sensory input. .

amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to give him opportunities to use his need for violence and wildness in a healthy way. I know boys fight but he's sandwiched between two brothers who don't do that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics