Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help! Two year old won't stay in bed

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:00 pm
Please send help. My two and a half year old won't go to sleep anymore. He has decided that climbing out of the crib and coming out of the room is much more exciting.

He has been exhausted the past few days, but when it's bedtime, he still won't sleep. It's very hard having him run around so late at night, and he is also not doing so well without sleep. There is absolutely no reasoning with him, though.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind switching him to a bed, but I don't think it would help. He also shares a room with big brother, whom he sometimes bothers.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:10 pm
My ds started climbing out at 15 months. I got him those zip up blankets where only the hands and head stick out (ok someone help me with a better description please) and we all loved it. It doesn’t allow the child to spread his legs enough to be able to climb out but he can walk around in his crib without a problem. We didn’t use it as a punishment we made it part of bedtime routine you put on pjs you put on that cozy (or cotton) zip up blanket. On those exhausting night when I had no patience putting it on him he would not let me get away with it. He needed to wear his blanket. It saved the day!

I can post a link if your not sure what I’m referring to

HALO Sleepsack 100% Cotton Wearable Blanket, Cream, X-Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....KVR5X

TILLYOU All Season Micro-Fleece Baby Sleep Bag and Sack with Inverted Zipper, Unisex Clothes for Toddlers Age 12-18 Months, Sleeveless Warm Soft Plush Wearable Blanket TOG 1, Large L, Gray Elephant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G.....psc=1

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:13 pm
And just today my husband suggested we move our 1.5 year from her crib to a bed....haha. No.

Sorry, OP no suggestions just thankful that my little one hasn't figured out the climbing out thing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:17 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
My ds started climbing out at 15 months. I got him those zip up blankets where only the hands and head stick out (ok someone help me with a better description please) and we all loved it. It doesn’t allow the child to spread his legs enough to be able to climb out but he can walk around in his crib without a problem. We didn’t use it as a punishment we made it part of bedtime routine you put on pjs you put on that cozy (or cotton) zip up blanket. On those exhausting night when I had no patience putting it on him he would not let me get away with it. He needed to wear his blanket. It saved the day!

I can post a link if your not sure what I’m referring to

HALO Sleepsack 100% Cotton Wearable Blanket, Cream, X-Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....KVR5X

TILLYOU All Season Micro-Fleece Baby Sleep Bag and Sack with Inverted Zipper, Unisex Clothes for Toddlers Age 12-18 Months, Sleeveless Warm Soft Plush Wearable Blanket TOG 1, Large L, Gray Elephant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G.....psc=1

I don't know if he'll go for that. He is quite big and relishing his newfound independence. Unfortunately, he has not quite developed common sense. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

ETA now that I think more about it, he will definitely just unzip it and take it off. Unless I put the zipper in the back?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please send help. My two and a half year old won't go to sleep anymore. He has decided that climbing out of the crib and coming out of the room is much more exciting.

He has been exhausted the past few days, but when it's bedtime, he still won't sleep. It's very hard having him run around so late at night, and he is also not doing so well without sleep. There is absolutely no reasoning with him, though.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind switching him to a bed, but I don't think it would help. He also shares a room with big brother, whom he sometimes bothers.

No advice just have been going through this for a few months already now he's 3. He responds to scare tactics well lol. I did move him to a bed but didn't really make much of a difference.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:30 pm
turn the crib around so the high side is on the outside. lower the crib mattress to the floor if there is no space between the top of mattress and bottom of crib. see attached article. so far its working for mine. https://thepostpartumparty.com.....crib/

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:33 pm
There are those zippered cages. Sounds crazy, but for his safety and health it might be what you need.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know if he'll go for that. He is quite big and relishing his newfound independence. Unfortunately, he has not quite developed common sense. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

ETA now that I think more about it, he will definitely just unzip it and take it off. Unless I put the zipper in the back?

You can do the zipper in the back or add a grommet and put a tie through the zipper and grommet so he’s stuck in there. Some of the bigger sacks have a side zipper so the grommet trick works better. I think a buttonhole would do the same thing as a grommet if you have a sewing machine.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:38 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
turn the crib around so the high side is on the outside. lower the crib mattress to the floor if there is no space between the top of mattress and bottom of crib. see attached article. so far its working for mine. https://thepostpartumparty.com.....crib/

The crib has been turned around since he started doing this a number of months ago, but now it stopped working. I tried lowering the mattress with a different child and it didn't help unfortunately.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:41 pm
challahchallah wrote:
You can do the zipper in the back or add a grommet and put a tie through the zipper and grommet so he’s stuck in there. Some of the bigger sacks have a side zipper so the grommet trick works better. I think a buttonhole would do the same thing as a grommet if you have a sewing machine.

DH doesn't like this idea. He says it's too mean.

I know that many 2.5 year olds sleep in beds and he seems like he should be big enough. But if he's going to be running around until midnight every night, it's not sustainable for any of us.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:44 pm
Sounds super familiar! My 2.5 is also suddenly not sleeping at bedtime. BH she hasn't realized she can probably climb out LOL

But the eventual plan is to make sure the room is baby proof 100% and put a tall baby gate at the door. And remove anything like chairs or moveable bins she could use as a step stool. That way even if she climbs out, she can't leave her room.

We'll see....

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:45 pm
Mine too
He has known how to climb out for a year but did it rarely. The past 2 nights he is out every 10 minutes.

I tried all my tricks. None worked.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:49 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Sounds super familiar! My 2.5 is also suddenly not sleeping at bedtime. BH she hasn't realized she can probably climb out LOL

But the eventual plan is to make sure the room is baby proof 100% and put a tall baby gate at the door. And remove anything like chairs or moveable bins she could use as a step stool. That way even if she climbs out, she can't leave her room.

We'll see....

This is what I did with my last climber. I baby proofed the room and put on a doorknob cover he couldn't open. He often ran around and fell asleep on the floor, but at least he didn't come out.

My current toddler shares a room with an older sibling, which makes things much more complicated.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:50 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Mine too
He has known how to climb out for a year but did it rarely. The past 2 nights he is out every 10 minutes.

I tried all my tricks. None worked.

Well at least I can vent to all the other toddler mommies!

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:51 pm
I'll share what worked for our strong willed toddler. We bought him a clock that we could set - we set the go to bed time and the wake up time. It turns red at bedtime and then yellow 20 minutes before wake up and green at wake up time. For us, it took the fight out of the situation. It was all about following the clock. He is bright and was able to understand red = stop (stay in your bed) and yellow means almost wake up time and he runs out of his room when it turns green.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:00 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I'll share what worked for our strong willed toddler. We bought him a clock that we could set - we set the go to bed time and the wake up time. It turns red at bedtime and then yellow 20 minutes before wake up and green at wake up time. For us, it took the fight out of the situation. It was all about following the clock. He is bright and was able to understand red = stop (stay in your bed) and yellow means almost wake up time and he runs out of his room when it turns green.

I’ve used that in the morning.
But at bedtime it doesn’t work.
He climbs out as fast as I put him in.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:15 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

I actually have one of those in the room for the older child. But this toddler is too young to understand. Or care.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well at least I can vent to all the other toddler mommies!

Totally vent. I have a 4 yr old in the room. So I can’t give in or she’d also be running around also
I tried a toddler bed in desperation and he stayed in for 1 minute.
The ‘problem’ is that he is so cute that when he comes down the steps all my big kids give him a Baruch habah and he loves it.

Here’s hoping tomorrow night bedtime is easier.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 12:25 am
I don’t know how your crib is but I have seen ppl put the mattress on the floor inside the crib.
You take out the spring.
you have to make sure the mattress is high enough so there is no gap between the top of the mattress and the bottom of the crib railing.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 10:57 am
We have a baby gate on the door. My 5yo can open it himself, or climb over as needed, but my 2yo can't get out. That's the safest and easiest option we found.
dd toddles around their room and usually falls asleep at some point. She used to fall asleep on the floor, but she's started going into her cot to sleep now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics