Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Where do I start??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:33 pm
Experienced mamas, can you help out? This is my first, a girl. She’s almost 2.5 and I’d like to train her over pesach.
No idea how to begin.
Don’t think she has any awareness of when she needs to go, for sure not when urinating.
How do I even start?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:34 pm
If she ain’t ready, she ain’t ready

avrahamama

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 4:42 pm
What signs do you observe that show you she's ready?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 7:35 pm
Can she indicate when she needs changing-is she aware when she makes? If she doesn't understand then she probably isn't ready. 2.5 is still quite young, it might be worth waiting until she is interested.
I found when they were ready to go to the toilet-they were motivated and excited, then it went easily. Do you have a specific reason why you want to try now?

If you want to try, you should decide whether you want a potty or only a toilet. Personally I don't like potties-unhygenic (and I don't like the pain of cleaning them), but I know plenty of people who say potties are the only way.
If you are using a toilet-you should look at getting a seat/step so she can reach and feel more comfortable.
A slow method would be to put her on each time she gets changed to get her used to the idea of what it feels like, and wait for her to step it up.
The best and hardest is to strip her waist down so she can feel the sensation best (and saves you washing constantly). You take her to the toilet approx every 10 minutes and encourage her to make. Reward her if she does. Expect accidents. If she gets the hang of it after a couple of days, she's ready. If she just keeps making accidents and doesn't seem to understand what to do, it's probably worth waiting a while longer. Once she has gotten the hang of things, you don't need to take her as often, and she should hopefully say when she needs.
Don't force it and give her a fear of going. It should be exciting-have a box of books/toys to play with her whilst she's on the toilet.
Hatzlacha

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 7:39 pm
2.5 is more than ready for most children. There is no reason why parents should wait so long given normal circumstances.
I would suggest buying a book or following a method. It makes it much easier and you know what to do in every scanerio.
I used the book "Toilet training in less than a day". I don't know if it is still in print though...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training