Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How can I help her?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 7:01 pm
My five year old is having trouble at school because she finds maagal time very difficult. She doesn't like davening time because it gives her a headache when all the kids are singing loud for so long. I notice that she doesn't like when her siblings sing loudly either. She has no problem with many other noises or songs from the radio or television. How can I help her get past this because her morahs are upset.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 7:06 pm
If she’s otherwise a pretty cooperative kid and it’s just the singing that bothers her, I’d be annoyed at the teachers for being upset. She’s only five. They should let her sit quietly a little farther away or whatever will help her not feel uncomfortable with the noise level. She can participate from there or just do a quiet activity at the table across the room without disturbing. Or earplugs?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 17 2021, 7:20 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
If she’s otherwise a pretty cooperative kid and it’s just the singing that bothers her, I’d be annoyed at the teachers for being upset. She’s only five. They should let her sit quietly a little farther away or whatever will help her not feel uncomfortable with the noise level. She can participate from there or just do a quiet activity at the table across the room without disturbing. Or earplugs?

She is a good kid overall, but she finds the davening really difficult and they make her sit there anyway which I get on some level because she should technically follow the rules, but I do think that the singing bothers her in a sensory way. Thanks for the support, I wish they felt that way.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 7:52 am
Anyone else?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 8:38 am
Sounds like she is hypersensitive to sounds. Could be an OT could help her. In the meantime would she agree to wear noise reducing headphones during those times ?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 8:43 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Sounds like she is hypersensitive to sounds. Could be an OT could help her. In the meantime would she agree to wear noise reducing headphones during those times ?

Thanks we are starting OT after Pesach. I like the headphones idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers