Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please tell me we're not crazy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:37 pm
Who here moved in to an uncompleted home?
I need help, basically we've been about to move after renovations for a very long time, things were delayed due to covid and other things that come up.
We finally just picked a date next week even though the kitchen is not completed, and a few other small touch ups.
We could not delay the move any longer.
We are not home for pesach so the kitchen doesn't matter. And hopefully it will be completed right before or right after pesach.

Ppl are telling us we should have just waited, but like I said we can't wait till after.

So make me feel like we're not the only ppl who move into a house before the renovations are done....

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:39 pm
My parents did the same. It was okay. It won’t be easy with the dirt, but you won’t be running back and forth.

rmbg

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:40 pm
It’s all about your attitude. I lived without a kitchen for many months. For me it was worth it.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:41 pm
Your definitely not the only one!
We moved into our house before the kitchen was done. We had no choice, our rental was up and we had to move into the house. We put folding tables around the perimeter of the kitchen, We put in a slop sink, a fridge, and toaster ovens, and I used my crockpot a lot. We managed fine for quite a few weeks until my kitchen was installed!!!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:53 pm
Many people do it. We moved in without a complete kitchen and tiles we're put in yet. The floors if part of the house was wood and we couldn't walk without shoes. Just be prepared for a lot of dust.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 12:54 pm
You are far from the only one! Construction always takes longer than people think.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 1:55 pm
This happens often. Can you set up a temporary kitchen somewhere else in the house?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 2:04 pm
We did. It really wasn't a huge deal. We had to do take out for a short time

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 2:13 pm
What do people do when they redo their house? Move out for however long it takes??

OP, you will be fine! Just move and it get it over with!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 2:16 pm
I did it. Not ideal but were managing just fine .

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 2:39 pm
Thank you so much everyone! You really helped me!

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 12:51 am
We did it as did many of our neighbors. Renovations always take longer and most people cannot afford to rent another place for so long!
It was killing us financially.

elaela

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 1:05 am
we did it.
as long as there is a fridge, a crockpogt, electric grill, kettle etc...NO PROBLEM.
you wil be living on cornflakes/milk, sandwiches, takeout and crockpot/grilmeals

totally doable Smile
enjoy your new house!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 3:08 am
Thank you Heart
I was feeling so down and stupid for rushing it and you guys really made me feel better!
I also think that even if not everything is running we will be able to figure it out iyh. And hopefully it will be easier to be in one place instead of running back and forth between the 2 houses.
I'm totally aware of the dust as relatives recently moved, but I think that is inevitable regardless of when you move.

Thanks again!

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 4:19 am
Just be very. Careful. With workers around your house, especially around your children

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 4:26 am
OP, our kitchen flooded. They tore out the floor, the sink, some cabinets. They had to unplug my stove/ oven to power the drying machines. It was like that for a week. Didn't have a sink or dishwasher in the kitchen for about 6 weeks. At times, no counters. It look 3 months to get a functional kitchen. You are by far the only one.

It should be quick and smooth. I'm excited for you!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 5:11 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
OP, our kitchen flooded. They tore out the floor, the sink, some cabinets. They had to unplug my stove/ oven to power the drying machines. It was like that for a week. Didn't have a sink or dishwasher in the kitchen for about 6 weeks. At times, no counters. It look 3 months to get a functional kitchen. You are by far the only one.

It should be quick and smooth. I'm excited for you!

What a nightmare.
Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it.

alef12

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 5:17 am
You're not the first, nor will you be the last.
18 years ago we moved into our first home. The only source of running water was the bathtub (and toilet lol) The bathroom sink was hooked up a few days later and the kitchen followed after a couple of weeks. It was an adventure!
We were DIYing a lot of it (though not the plumbing) and we were so proud of that house :-)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating