Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Security vent.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 8:52 am
So, this lady is a rebbetzin of an important community, a big 80 000 inhabitants city in the Parisian suburbs, recently started having minian every day, mikve... the whole thing.
Recently, I was discussing with her and a few other women, about kids. She told us, laughing, that although she already has 4 kids, the security fences for the stairs are "sitting in her garage, because they're too lazy to install them". So I told her she is lucky not to have had any kids falling in the stairs. And she answered, "of course they fall. I have found one of them down the stairs plenty of time! but it's not so bad, and they need to learn that actions have consequences". Apparently accidents happened when she was upstairs in her room, sleeping, and kids "occupying themselves alone".

I told her I was planning to get some, and she told me "whatever works for you, it's not a bad idea". But she seemed to think wall socket plugs were bordering on "stressed out first time mom syndrom", because accidents rarely happen.

WDYT? what do you do?
security fence, yes no?
plugs?

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 8:55 am
This lady is crazy and I hope her children stay safe.

There are accidents and kids fall. HOWEVER, we have to do our hishtadlus to keep them safe. Get the gates and see what else you need by watching your child.

Classicookie

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 11:54 am
I gate off my kitchen if I had stairs I would gate that off too I cover all my outlets its so dangerous not to I also have locks on my Doorknobs you really have to be careful why let something happen when it can be prevented

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 11:57 am
nice it's up, because I don't have a search option anymore Sad

anyway, I wanted to see I've seen too many kids alone in cars recently, ladies you must stop!

StrongIma

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 11:58 am
Mimisinger wrote:
This lady is crazy and I hope her children stay safe.

There are accidents and kids fall. HOWEVER, we have to do our hishtadlus to keep them safe. Get the gates and see what else you need by watching your child.

I agree. "ein somchim al hanes" and Hashem helps those who help themselves by doing the hishtadlus that the situation calls for.

nature

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 9:34 pm
about putting up gates, I actually intentionally do not put them up!
I do it purposely, though not with the same blaise attitude as the mom seemed to have.
I have 4 kids 4 and under 4 BA"H and when I see that they are starting to learn to go up the stairs, I help them and then for about the next 2 weeks I am vigilent around that area. pretty soon they are turning around at the top and sliding down on their tummies. (ussually around 11 months)
I rather do that, then leave it to one of the older ones accidentaly leaving the gate open and then the baby who is dying to get behind that gate but has no idae how to do it, goes and will very likely fall.

though I do understand moms who do put up gates if it is more difficult timewise to do this training process etc. than to just say, "well, they'll learn!" without a plan.

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 10:16 pm
We have a gate at the bottom and a gate at the top. The gate at the bottom is more so he doesn't go up the stairs when I can't see that he's done that (if I'm working in the kitchen then I want him on the main floor where I can keep an eye on him). The one at the top is open if we are with the kids, and closed if we're not (like overnight, so he can't get up and just go downstairs by himself).

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 2:14 am
uh.. there are basic safety rules that I believe must be followed in the house (ie the gates, covering electric sockets, nothing dangerous accessible etc) so I think shes taking this too lightly.. I don't think this is a 'first time mom' kind of thing (which to me is not letting the child play without hovering and getting freaked out about everything) this is basic safety guidelines she isn't following. c'mon falling down stairs?!? actions have consenquences? They certainly do if nobody is protecting a child at an age he can't protect himself!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics