Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What is Purim ABOUT?

Motek

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 5:14 pm
I came across these two comments. Any comments on these comments?

Quote:
Someone has gotten the idea that Purim is all about fun. No, and ten more times NO! Simcha is enjoyment, not playfulness. Return to all the wonderful seforim we have, mussar, halacha, chassidus, etc. None of them advocate fun. The frivolity that we sometimes witness is not simchas Purim, and it is blasphemous to equate them

Quote:
I don't think that most people understand what Purim is all about, it has all gotten lost in Purim plays, purim shpiels, purim fun, purim costumes and purim extremes like dressing up inappropriately, drinking, even drugs. Even small children want to give "all their friends" shlach monos because they want to get back, or become popular, and many preteens in Israel go wild with fireworks unless the schools force them not to.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 5:17 pm
I don't agree completely but do agree somewhat. Are they saying we should no longer dress up and give mishloach manos? Confused

Of course its true that some people have lost the spirit of purim in dressing up in al kinds of inappropriate costumes and behaving inappropriately, but it sounds to me like those comments are suggesting we abolish all the celebrating of purim Confused

PIP

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 6:42 pm
I don't think that's what theyre saying Esti. I think they mean we need to set boundaries for our kids. Purim is getting out of hand...kids are running around the streets drunk, smoking, and screaming like lunatics.

You can enjoy Purim of course, its a holiday and a fun one at that. But for every fun event, you still need boundaries. and who is that up to if not the parents?

I agree with it. You can have fun. but to an extent of not acting crazy. Remember aside from the fact that we are supposed to always act like a mentch, the non jews are watching us too. Its up to us to make a kiddush Hashem.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 2:31 am
I wonder what this person would describe how to be besimcha at a wedding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics