Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Going drunk into Shabbos?

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 10:01 pm
I want some hardcore facts about this. Yes? no? who says? where? any information you can tell me.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 9:52 pm
My dh was drunk one Friday purim night and I had to go to the mikvah that night, as well..................

talk about craziness!

but I got pregnant that month!

red sea

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 9:56 pm
Last time purim was on friday I definitely remember hearing halachos given over that you are to make sure whatever you drink should have time to wear off before shabbos. and also remember a bunch of drunks around after candlelighting. Maybe there are different minhagim. But my personal minhag doesnt even interperet ad d'lo yadah as drunk.

Toot

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 10:00 pm
It's best to have your seuda before chatzot so as to go into Shabbos hungry (just like any week). Since this year daylight savings time begins before Purim, that gives lots of time for the alcohol to wear off (I think Shabbos starts in NY around 6:50).

There is a big problem davening while drunk, I'll check the sources before I say asur for sure. I can't think of an isur to be drunk on Shabbos per say, but since Shabbos starts with davening it becomes a problem

red sea

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 10:02 pm
MorahS wrote:

There is a big problem davening while drunk, I'll check the sources before I say asur for sure.

thats what I remember - you are not allowed to daven drunk.

Toot

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 10:18 pm
ספר מהרי"ל (מנהגים) הלכות פורים ד"ה [טו] אמר
אמר מהר"י סג"ל שמנהג אושטרייך שבפורים מתפללים מנחה גדולה ואוכלין סעודת פורים אחר חצות היום והולכין ואוכלין כל הלילה, דאם סועדין מקודם היה להן שעת מנחה שעת שכרות ותפלת שכור תועבה.

Basically, during a regular weekday Purim, one should daven Mincha gedola before the seuda, then have the seuda, and presumably daven Maariv once sober. The reason is that "the prayers of a drunk person are an abomination."

One source suggested for this:

מנורת המאור פרק ב - תפילה קריאת שמע עמוד 121

ומנין שתפלת שכור תועבה. שנא' יין ושכר אל תשת אתה ובניך אתך בבואכם אל אוהל מועד ולא תמותו. פירוש, מצוה זו נצטוה בה אהרן ובניו שלא יהיו שכורים ולא שתויי יין בשעת העבודה והקרבת הקרבנות, והתפלות הם במקום הקרבנות. לפיכך המתפלל אסור לו להיות שכור בשעת תפלה,

Since Kohanim are prohibited from bringing korbanot while drunk, and our tefillot are in place of korbanot, we too can not offer tefillot while drunk.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 5:41 am
you're not allowed to have relations either

B'h they don't do that in my community, I've never seen them drunk.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 11:25 am
Ruchel wrote:
you're not allowed to have relations either

B'h they don't do that in my community
, I've never seen them drunk.

That's how I read it! LOL

Ruchel

Post Sat, Mar 01 2008, 1:43 pm
LOOOOOOOOL rivki
Maybe davka it’s true, not so many kids recently… lol

Imawoman

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 8:00 pm
B"H my husband isn't a big drinker. I'm sure that he will have a shot or two of liquer, but no more.

Each year I can't help but feel disgust towards the men who are so incredibly drunk that they mamesh can't tell the difference between haman, mordechai and possibly their own wife! There is no mitzvah to ruin your liver and make a fool out of yourself. Wine is supposed to bring out words of Torah, not...[fill in the blank].

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:
My dh was drunk one Friday purim night and I had to go to the mikvah that night, as well..................

talk about craziness!

but I got pregnant that month!

Didn't he know you had to go that night? I don't mean to be horrible, and I'm asking purely out of curiosity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics