Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Atlanta: What school/community is right for us in Atlanta?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 11:43 am
We are RWMO, Zionist. We have two very young children. My husband doesn’t wear a black hat/black and white clothes. Black knit kippah and button down blue/white/etc. shirts if that means anything to you. I cover all my hair/shirts past elbows, etc. but don’t wear stockings (unless it’s winter! Smile ). We don’t have TV but do have smartphones and watch some things on Netflix, etc. We both have college and/or graduate degrees. We’re politically/I would say socially conservative, in case that makes a difference. Would love your suggestions. Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 2:57 pm
Bump

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are RWMO, Zionist. We have two very young children. My husband doesn’t wear a black hat/black and white clothes. Black knit kippah and button down blue/white/etc. shirts if that means anything to you. I cover all my hair/shirts past elbows, etc. but don’t wear stockings (unless it’s winter! Smile ). We don’t have TV but do have smartphones and watch some things on Netflix, etc. We both have college and/or graduate degrees. We’re politically/I would say socially conservative, in case that makes a difference. Would love your suggestions. Thank you!

There's really only one main frum community in Atlanta-Toco Hills. There are two largeish shuls there. The first is Beth Jacob which sounds more your speed. It was originally a very ner yisroel kollel type of shul but it has slowly become a little more left yeshivish/RWMO as the community has become more working professionals type, but you will still find all types there.
The other shul is the Young Israel. It's extremely liberal, both religiously and politically. You can google it and the rabbi to see the type of content they put out. It's good for the right type of person, but doesn't seem like you would fit there.
There are two other communities-Dunwoody which has a nice sized shul called Congregation Ariel but is extremely "out-of-town" (not in a bad way, but you have to want that). Sandy Springs has a chabad shul that has a lot of chabad and a decent number of left-leaning MO (pants-wearing, not covering their hair etc).
Basically, from what you describe the only place where you'd likely be happy/fit in is Beth Jacob in Toco Hills.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:54 am
There is also the new toco shul / Netzach yisroel

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 11:32 am
I second the vote for Beth Jacob. It's very diverse so there are many types there, and there is a large crowd there that sounds just like you from what you describe.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 11:34 am
Thank you all so much!!

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 11:39 am
I'm curious, what does an extremely oot shul mean?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 6:38 pm
The YI disaffiliated from the NCYI a year or two ago over politics and is now called Ohr Hatorah. New Toco is not quite as left as the former YI, but I agree, I think Beth Jacob is closest to you.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 9:34 pm
useful thread. which of these shuls is best for lots of young families, lots of kids running around at kiddush, etc. don't think we'd fit in with a shul that's predominantly boomer empty nesters.

is BJ a "money shul" given that it's old and established?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating