Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Att nurses: Do you like your job?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 1:29 am
Thinking about going back to school to get my BSN but the 'hate my job' thread gets me nervous. So nurses, would you do it again? Is the pay/benefits worth it? Do you like your job?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 1:33 am
Love my job. And about ten years after being an RN j became an np.

Just One

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 1:50 am
I recently started a similar thread and got really enthusiastic feedback from people. Since nursing has so many different work environments available it's possible for people to find the one that fits best. Wish I could link the thread but I can't find it.

I just started school and I'm really looking forward!

Elfrida

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 2:10 am
Yea, nursing is a very wide field. Once you're qualified you can normally move towards a position you like - though you may not get your dream job straight away.

Would I go through that schooling again? Not sure about that, but I'm glad I did it the first time.
Pay and benefits? Probably different in Israel to America, so not really relevent. Here my salary is reasonable but nursing isn't so highly paid. Still, you are virtually guaranteed a job, and it's easy to get extra hours if you want them, and I haven't has to miss a day work right through Corona.
I'm happy with my current job, though I hope to take another course and move on to another position within the next two or three years.

Just One

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 2:16 am
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....17966

I found the thread

rakcna

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 2:18 am
Depends what your expectations and needs are. I don't necessarily regret becoming a nurse, but I don't know that I would do it if I could go back in time. Many, many toxic work environments, limited earning potential compared to efforts, and the schedule for many opportunities can be a struggle.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 2:31 am
If I can go back in time, I don't know if I would do it again. being a nurse is not a walk in the park, most opportunities have difficult hours for a Yiddishe Mamma, most jobs won't hear of taking off Erev Yom Tov or Chol Hamoed etc... it's not the easy way to money like many believe... I'm currently in a job where I have over an hour commute each way, I don't like what I do to say the least and I'm sticking it out because any other opportunity I find has a schedule I cannot commit to...

rakcna

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 2:56 am
I would also like to add that current research shows that the compassion fatigue and burnout, staffing issues, and more are contributing to very low retention. There is also an increase in the number of nurses who are trying to leave the traditional nursing roles after only a couple of years which is concerning. Most importantly, there is evolving research on mental health concerns and suicidality rates among nurses.

For more on nursing burnout:
https://sciendo.com/article/10.....QYuXg
https://jamanetwork.com/journa.....75923
https://journals.lww.com/jonaj.....icles

Moral Distress:
https://engage.healthynursehea.....41757

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:20 am
Elfrida wrote:
Yea, nursing is a very wide field. Once you're qualified you can normally move towards a position you like - though you may not get your dream job straight away.

Would I go through that schooling again? Not sure about that, but I'm glad I did it the first time.
Pay and benefits? Probably different in Israel to America, so not really relevent. Here my salary is reasonable but nursing isn't so highly paid. ******Still, you are virtually guaranteed a job*******, and it's easy to get extra hours if you want them, and I haven't has to miss a day work right through Corona.
I'm happy with my current job, though I hope to take another course and move on to another position within the next two or three years.

FYI, in northern Israel (Hadera on up) it is extremely hard to get a nursing job. You need protexsia even to get Pnimit (Internal).

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:21 am
I guess I'd say I like it but don't love it. If I were 18, I'd try something else, but I don't know what.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:31 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
FYI, in northern Israel (Hadera on up) it is extremely hard to get a nursing job. You need protexsia even to get Pnimit (Internal).

Yes, during this past year they employed a lot of nurses from the north to make phone calls to Corona patients, because there weren't enough locally.

I think it's sometimes a matter of luck. I know one nurse who finished nursing school and walked straight into a job in miyun in Ziv. His only 'proteczia' was experience in Hatzala.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 4:40 am
Elfrida wrote:
Yes, during this past year they employed a lot of nurses from the north to make phone calls to Corona patients, because there weren't enough locally.

I think it's sometimes a matter of luck. I know one nurse who finished nursing school and walked straight into a job in miyun in Ziv. His only 'proteczia' was experience in Hatzala.

Male nurses are much more desirable than female nurses is departments that have many heavy, immobile (or mobility impaired) adults. I've heard it's hard for a male nurse to get Children's or Pagia because hanalat hasiud wants them so badly in Psychiatry, Pnimiot, Chirugia, Orthopedist, Miun, etc.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 6:50 am
I'm not a nurse, but I'm gonna add my 2 cents anyways.
If you're gonna be a nurse, you gotta be nice. I just spent the night w my 1 it old in the er (pretty serious stuff), and all the nurses were so so so nice. It makes an unpleasant experience so much better.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 7:13 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I'm not a nurse, but I'm gonna add my 2 cents anyways.
If you're gonna be a nurse, you gotta be nice. I just spent the night w my 1 it old in the er (pretty serious stuff), and all the nurses were so so so nice. It makes an unpleasant experience so much better.

I know one nurse who only works part time, because she says its too hard to be nice to people five days a week!

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 1:19 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I know one nurse who only works part time, because she says its too hard to be nice to people five days a week!

Yes, the expectation that you'll always be nice and kind and friendly to everyone makes the job very difficult. I can go through a day where I'm super nice to 19/20 people and think I had a great day but of course the 1 person that I wasn't as nice as I could be will complain. You have to be "on" all the time. You cannot have an off day or even an off minute. That's one of the hardest aspects of the job.

I do a lot of professional training in how to take care of yourself to take better care of others, and how not to take other people's moods and criticisms personally.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics