Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Hate my job
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:01 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Another burnt out speech therapist here. Yes I know I spent a lot of money and time and work on my degree, but this is my last year. Done. I really relate to a lot of what you slps are writing here and I just can't do it any longer. Don't ask me what my family will eat next year but I am hopeful I will find something. Definitely no going back to college for me!

You go girl! You are my role model Smile

honey36

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:12 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I dont understand how its possible to leave work at work. I can't write quarterly and annual progress reports during sessions! I cant speak with parents on the phone during sessions! Sometimes I am able to get in a quick session note at the end of a session, but there usually isnt time for that. I am extremely organized and I have systems for everything but there is still an endless amount of paperwork to do at home

Also, what do you mean by having a realistic caseload? I generally have 25+ students. Yes it would be way more manageable if I had half the amount of students, but then I would be making half the amount of money

Maybe it would be worth it for you to be making less money, but have a more managable job by cutting down your caseload? It sounds like you don't necessarily hate the job itself, it's just too much for you to handle. I'm a very part time slp, so small caseload, barely take any work home etc. and I like it. BH my husband is also working so we can afford it.

If I was you I'd sit down and really work out what would be more money efficient, time efficient etc.- cutting down your caseload and sticking with the job, or switching to a different job. Also really make sure you know what your getting yourself into before you switch. The grass always seems greener on the other side..

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 11:28 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
That does sound up my alley. I remember in grade 11 in high school I took an excel computer class and really enjoyed it. But in general I basically have no computer skills so I would really be starting from scratch.

I wish I had the courage to give up my degree but its so hard after I put so much time, money and effort to obtain it. I read an interesting article once that people without degrees are more likely to switch jobs if they are unhappy, while people with degrees are more likely to stay in their field even if they are unhappy

Maybe also look into computer programming. Tons of free courses you can take to see if you are interested, and there are fairly inexpensive bootcamps you can do that take under a year to complete and guarantee a job at the end. My daughter did one with bloc.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:19 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Another burnt out speech therapist here. Yes I know I spent a lot of money and time and work on my degree, but this is my last year. Done. I really relate to a lot of what you slps are writing here and I just can't do it any longer. Don't ask me what my family will eat next year but I am hopeful I will find something. Definitely no going back to college for me!

I'm with you! Life is too short to stay in a miserable job.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:48 pm
honey36 wrote:
Maybe it would be worth it for you to be making less money, but have a more managable job by cutting down your caseload? It sounds like you don't necessarily hate the job itself, it's just too much for you to handle. I'm a very part time slp, so small caseload, barely take any work home etc. and I like it. BH my husband is also working so we can afford it.

If I was you I'd sit down and really work out what would be more money efficient, time efficient etc.- cutting down your caseload and sticking with the job, or switching to a different job. Also really make sure you know what your getting yourself into before you switch. The grass always seems greener on the other side..

This is what I would highly recommend as well. Build your schedule with built in lunch and paperwork time. I understand you don’t get paid for that time but the paperwork needs to get done and you will feel less burnt out.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics