Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can no longer buy liver at kosher stores?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 10:15 pm
I was told by our local kosher grocery store that they are 'not allowed' to carry raw chicken liver anymore (I.e., they can only sell the pre-broiled vacuum-packed stuff). Store owner said they were told by the OU or some other agency (he wasn't sure which) that they weren't allowed to sell it because nobody can guarantee that we homemakers know how to properly kasher the livers on our own.
Twisted Evil Punch
A local caterer had to get a signed letter from the vaad to get permission to order the raw liver from a wholesaler.
Is this going on in other cities in the USA?

Stars

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 10:19 pm
This makes sense. Liver is complicated. If I remember correctly,it must be cooked in two different ways in order to be considered kosher.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 10:36 pm
Lakewood stores haven’t sold raw liver in years. I’m sure there are ways to get it if you really want. But you can’t just walk into a grocery and take it off the shelf.

The rule is because people weren’t kashering properly and so were eating treif.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 10:38 pm
I don't think I've seen raw liver in stores in the past 15 or more years.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I don't think I've seen raw liver in stores in the past 15 or more years.

Vivid memories as a child (30 + years ago) of my mom kashering them and then devouring them

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 11:32 pm
Where do you live?
Our local butchers in Brooklyn haven’t sold it in forever. You can only get charred bits.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:14 am
I have seen it in my oot market. But there is a sign explaining how to do it. And I think that the butcher even will give you a copy of the instructions.

BBQ liver is a big treat and now I have a craving.

As a child I remember they used to give you all the extras when you bought a whole chicken. The gizzards, liver, heart. Now everything is sold separately.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 8:33 am
I live oot. Our very reputable butcher carries raw liver, not sure what hashgacha.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 1:30 pm
The companies that shecht cannot sell liver to just any store. If a store wants to sell liver, they must apply to the ou and and prove/show/convince them that their mashgiach knows how to kasher liver properly. Only then can the shechita company sell liver to a store. And I guess that means they must kasher any liver they buy and not sell it raw.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen