Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Question for teachers out there

ffbmom

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 3:20 pm
I know we all teach all types of children, but how does your school accomodate the gifted and the learning disabled student in one classroom?

Abigail

Post Wed, Jan 23 2008, 4:16 pm
our school unfortunately does not have any special arrangements for the gifted students as of yet, however, we do have special arrangements for the learning disabled. if a child has been diagnosed with a condition, I.e., autism or downs or the like and have a statement, then yes the pupil will have a one to one with a teacher either in the class with them or out, depending on the case.
I do hope our school gets something sorted for the gifted as bh there are many children who are bah very bright, and being stretched enough.
But then again sometimes you wonder whats the point??

bigdeal

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 6:34 pm
My school has incredible programs ( five towns)

Cahal- Wasserman Learning Center- for various deficiancies and disabilities-one on one as well as self- contained classrooms

Tracked Math and Chumash Classes- three levels in each class that devide for 45 minutes in the morn and again in the pm each grp has a seperate teacher in a seperate room

Accelerated Literacy program- for gifted readers and writers

Gruss After School Program- Math and science -you dont have that "smart" but these are for the "over- achievers " and hard workers

the greatest thing is that the girls who leave the room to receive services are NOt ashamed because this school really teaches the students that its ok to be different ( same goes for guidance counselor, etc.)

And it can be done in a large school setting because this school is quite large

Toot

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 3:30 pm
My school has "Kids Space" where kids who have processing or attention issues, or need a smaller student/teacher ratio, go during certain class times and work on their reading, math, etc. There is also enrichment programing, I'm not sure about the details on that one.

The problem is that these resources are only available to the younger grades. Once a student hits junior high (6,7,8 ) they are in the class with everyone else. It's a real challenge to teach the higher grades and try to differentiate enough so that everyone can follow, is learning, and is being challenged. The school tracks math, science and Ivrit, and I think also gemara for the boys, but all other limudei kodesh, including gemara for the girls, is not tracked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics