Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Politely decline an invitation

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 3:24 pm
How do you politely decline some people who invite you and accept others... 🤔
Trying to keep things peaceful and not obvious that we don't trust their kashrus... but are planning on eating at another family.. so we can not say we're sick or something

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 3:29 pm
It’s very tricky. Can you invite them to eat by you instead? If it’s a one off invite you can say I would prefer to stay home for most of the meals and I’m already eating out for some. But then what happens when they offer you a rain check.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 3:32 pm
Say you had a prior invitation. From what you write it seems that you had plans to go out anyway, and you don't have to cancel one invitation to accept another.

If they invite you again for a different meal, just say that you are already going out for some meals, and you like to be able to have some at home. Easier for the children not to go out all the time.

sari00

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 3:33 pm
It's so hard we don't want to hurt their feelings- becoming frummer... but we're so much stricter especially pesach time...
Yes ideally inviting at our house just I'm not up to having guests right now... we just found out we're staying home for pesach...

sari00

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 3:34 pm
Yes we do have a young child- that's probably a good reason ppl would be understanding

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 3:36 pm
newima wrote:
It's so hard we don't want to hurt their feelings- becoming frummer... but we're so much stricter especially pesach time...
Yes ideally inviting at our house just I'm not up to having guests right now... we just found out we're staying home for pesach...
Ok I thought you meant on a regular basis. You can definitely say that you have the invitations you needed and you would prefer to stay home for the remainder of the Pesach meals. My sister tells me that all the time. And she does eat at my home.

sari00

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 3:39 pm
Thanks I guess it sounded meaner in my head...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette