Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Place to donate women's clothing in Flatbush/BP?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 10:22 am
I have some clothing that I'm looking to get rid of. Most of it is in excellent condition; I just don't have any use for it. Where can I donate it? Pref. Flatbush, BP okay.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 7:18 pm
Bump?

doctorima

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 8:04 pm
I think Bobbie's Place only takes new stuff, but you could try them to see, and if they don't want it they will hopefully know a local place that would take it.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 10:03 pm
There are Chessed Center trucks on several avenues on Ocean parkway on the Flatbush side (I saw on L and I think N but the phone recording listed others). Overflowing but there's a chute on the driver's side that I was able to put my bags through. Dunno what kind of army they have to sort through all that. I think the ideal is to network with friends and community members and use the drop boxes if you can't find a direct shidduch.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 10:12 pm
You can call Pick Purple to schedule a pickup:

http://www.pickpurple.org/

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 10:13 pm
there will be a clothing donation collection after pesach in BY high school. They send the clothing to EY. I saw an ad about it in the torah times but I forgot the exact details. Hope to see it in the next one.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 10:23 pm
doctorima wrote:
I think Bobbie's Place only takes new stuff, but you could try them to see, and if they don't want it they will hopefully know a local place that would take it.

No, they take used clothing in very good condition. With them you know it goes directly to families.
Some places sell by the pound.

Mothers

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 11:33 pm
pause wrote:
You can call Pick Purple to schedule a pickup:

http://www.pickpurple.org/

Just be aware that Pick Purple sells it by the pound.

boysrock

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:08 am
Pick purple came to pick up from me the other day. I was very disappointed to hear that it is not a Jewish organization, most their stuff goes to random places and they sell it all per bag, none of the clothing really gets used

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:10 am
Young Israel of Brighton. They pick it up.

boysrock

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 12:15 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Young Israel of Brighton. They pick it up.

Do you know if the stuff get used by people or sold by the pound?

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 9:52 pm
boysrock wrote:
Do you know if the stuff get used by people or sold by the pound?

I can't vouch for what they do. I know they pick up, they don't have a minimum of 5 bags (which another place did), and they give you a receipt which you can use for tax purposes. So it's been convenient for me. You can ask them directly what happens to the clothing.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:24 pm
Chesed Center has a drop off box at the gas station on 38 and 14 but I think they sell by the pound.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:36 pm
Mothers wrote:
Just be aware that Pick Purple sells it by the pound.

I didn't know this. I'm so sad that people are donating good quality clothes, and they're not being used. I guess Pick Purple should only be used to donate stained, torn, or otherwise unwearable clothes.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:40 pm
boysrock wrote:
Pick purple came to pick up from me the other day. I was very disappointed to hear that it is not a Jewish organization, most their stuff goes to random places and they sell it all per bag, none of the clothing really gets used

Pick Purple is a Jewish organization and the proceeds benefit Batya Girls.
Purple Heart is a similar non-Jewish organization benefitting the military, or something like that.

boysrock

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:43 pm
pause wrote:
Pick Purple is a Jewish organization and the proceeds benefit Batya Girls.
Purple Heart is a similar non-Jewish organization benefitting the military, or something like that.

I’m so happy you clarified, the gentleman who came to my home stated otherwise. I’m happy to hear that!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:48 pm
boysrock wrote:
I’m so happy you clarified, the gentleman who came to my home stated otherwise. I’m happy to hear that!

It's true that the stuff goes to random places and they sell it all per bag. The pennies per pound proceeds do go to Batya.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:54 pm
pause wrote:
I didn't know this. I'm so sad that people are donating good quality clothes, and they're not being used. I guess Pick Purple should only be used to donate stained, torn, or otherwise unwearable clothes.

Pick Purple specifically says that the clothing must be in good condition and wearable. (They used to collect clothes in any condition, but they no longer do.)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 10:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's true that the stuff goes to random places and they sell it all per bag. The pennies per pound proceeds do go to Batya.
If they sell it by the pound, why does it need to be in good condition?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 25 2021, 11:40 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
If they sell it by the pound, why does it need to be in good condition?

You can ask them. Smile probably because they get more pennies for good condition and don't have time to sort.

Read under what happens to the clothing:
http://www.pickpurple.org/faq#
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries