Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Halachically, is there a problem, making grilled cheese with

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:13 am
Halachically, is there a problem, making grilled cheese with Matzah, or do the more stringent NOT do it?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:15 am
Well we consider it to be gebrokts even milk is listed as something that cannot make gebrokts because that's our mesora and it leeks. I don't know anyone who does grilled cheese in my circles. We also don't eat cheese on pesach.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:16 am
If you do eat gebrokts, op, it's fine.

paperflowers

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:17 am
Is this a question about gebrokts? That’s not an issue of stringency, it’s a minhag you either have or don’t have. There are also different opinions on what is considered gebrokts, but it’s not so much about Halacha as what your parents did. (Note: this is coming from someone who eats gebrokts, so I don’t know all the ins and outs.)

clowny

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:21 am
Why would cheese and matzah be gebrokts?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:25 am
Im asking because someone who is very strict in every way, and does NOT eat Gebrokts makes grilled cheese with Matza.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im asking because someone who is very strict in every way, and does NOT eat Gebrokts makes grilled cheese with Matza.

I know pple who don't do gebrokts who are super strict to the extent they won't have a pitcher of water on the table while eating matzah, while some do eat matzah with butter or cheese, just won't cook with matzah meal or put matzah in their soup. It's kind of a spectrum. So I don't think that's weird.

miami85

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:54 am
Gebrokts is a minhag that you have or you don't. Modern poskim have said that there is no scientific or practical reason for it based on how commercial matzah is made. So there is no real basis for the minhag so it's all about the mesorah.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 11:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Halachically, is there a problem, making grilled cheese with Matzah, or do the more stringent NOT do it?

If you hold that only water makes matzah gebrokts, and not dairy or veggie/fruit juices, then there's no issue. Some very strict chassidim who eat matzah out of a bag to avoid water, hold that cheese or tomato on matzah is no issue.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 11:08 am
Cheese is dry how is that gebrokts?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 11:12 am
We do it and we don't consider it gebrokts, but I know people who wouldn't.

We also smear cream cheese and butter on matza, and some don't.

Even among those who don't eat gebrokts, people have different minhagim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen