Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How would you handle this?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 4:59 pm
Two kids, sharing a room for Pesach break because the older one is home from school. The younger one is a very light sleeper, and having a hard time sharing the room (not sharing isn't an option- no spare sleeping spaces.) The older one is a very heavy sleeper, who needs a lot of intervention to wake up at a specific time- either a protracted alarm system over fifteen minutes or so, or prolonged parental repeated wakings.

The older one has necessary plans tomorrow morning that require waking up early, and the younger one does not. The younger one is still catching up on seder sleep, and doesn't want to wake up at 7am- waking that early will likely make the younger one irritable much of the day, including during an activity that afternoon that is very anticipated. The younger one is unable to fall back asleep after waking and having noise for a few minutes straight. And the younger one cannot sleep when wearing earplugs and can still hear through them, and the older one cannot tolerate white noise.

What to do?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 5:01 pm
Maybe the child that needs to wake early can sleep in the dining/living room for this one night.

hodeez

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 5:02 pm
Have one of them sleep on the couch or switch with another kid

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 5:08 pm
I'm challenging the "no available sleeping spaces" presumption, because otherwise I don't think the problem is easily solved.

-can the older one sleep at a friend?
-can the older one sleep wherever he is supposed to be tomorrow?
-can the older one sleep in the living room for one night?
-can the younger one sleep in your room with you for one night?

Short of this, I suggest you tell the older one that you will come in a quietly wake him once, and once only (so that the younger person is not woken by a loud alarm) and that on this one occasion he will need to get our of bed immediately have his clothes ready in the bathroom to get ready to go from there, and give him the responsibility to get up and out.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 5:09 pm
The one that needs to wake up early using noisy methods should sleep on the couch. Also not right of the deep sleeper to use loud wake up methods but not allow noise machines.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 7:03 pm
Thanks. The older one is not being lazy, and cannot will-power to wake up. It just happens. This kid already preps clothes, and is very responsible about own wakeup- it involves an extensive alarm. When the alarm isn't used, wanted things have been missed because of this. And this thing isn't even a wanted thing- it's a needed thing that this kid has to be really alert and awake for.

And this kid will not be alert and awake after a night on the couch. There will be little sleep had, including a very late night because others will be up late in the main area and because this kid is very tall and the couch is too short for them. No sleepovers by friends due to covid. And we have solved this problem every time it has happened before with the younger one sleeping in my room. This kid has had it. Dh gets up at 5:30am. He is much quieter than my older kid, but still often wakes me briefly. I go back to sleep, but this kid often can't.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 7:07 pm
Can older child sleep in your room and you'll sleep in older child's bed just for the night?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 7:11 pm
I don't know if this will help for tomorrow, but my teenager who sleeps right through her alarm because she's too deeply asleep to hear it now uses a vibrating alarm clock that she sticks in her pillowcase which shakes her awake enough to hear her alarm clock.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 7:24 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I don't know if this will help for tomorrow, but my teenager who sleeps right through her alarm because she's too deeply asleep to hear it now uses a vibrating alarm clock that she sticks in her pillowcase which shakes her awake enough to hear her alarm clock.

🙂. Tried that (good idea, works for a different kid of mine.) The kid either doesn't notice it or wakes up just enough to shut it off but not enough to remember doing so. This kid really doesn't want to be like this. We have had success with a progressive alarm clock that pulls you out of deep sleep gradually. It's actually not loud- it's fairly quiet. It starts you will soft sounds about half an hour before you need to wake up, and gradually increases them until at your desired time, you've been eased out of sleep.

But the younger kid wakes up with the first soft sounds and stays awake the whole half hour.

fortunate123

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 7:27 pm
Can older child sleep with AirPods or earphones and wake to an alarm on his phone?

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:25 pm
fortunate123 wrote:
Can older child sleep with AirPods or earphones and wake to an alarm on his phone?

I was just coming to suggest that!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:32 pm
fortunate123 wrote:

Interesting. Do you know of a progressive alarm app for a phone or tablet? Also, do you have guidance on how to keep earbuds in all night while sleeping (kid is a mover while sleeping)? We don't normally allow phones in the room overnight, but I guess we could make an exception here if I can solve those two problems.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 9:02 pm
For the future you could buy sleep phones (flat headphones with a band designed to wear while you sleep). Google should find them for you.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 10:12 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Can older child sleep in your room and you'll sleep in older child's bed just for the night?

This sounds elegant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics