Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Does a girl need to be named at Torah reading?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 2:47 am
If you had a baby girl and you gave her a good Hebrew name (let's say Sarah), but did not officially name her at Beit Knesset at Torah reading, would there be a need for the girl to have a naming ceremony, or would Sarah already be her Hebrew name?

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 4:56 am
I think if she is called by that name for a period of time it counts, (check with your LOR) but what is stopping you naming her in shul? It doesn't need to be a ceremony, its just a short part of the torah reading afaik. And you don't even need to be there, or DH.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 5:48 am
Raisin wrote:
I think if she is called by that name for a period of time it counts, (check with your LOR) but what is stopping you naming her in shul? It doesn't need to be a ceremony, its just a short part of the torah reading afaik. And you don't even need to be there, or DH.

I'm wondering if this was what happened to the OP herself. If it was, I don't think you need to make it up at this stage. But speak to your Rav. If he feels it is necessary, he will also be able to arrange for it in a discreet manner.

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 6:10 am
My moms name is Hanny, she never got a Jewish name in shul... nevertheless on my ketubah I read: אסתר בת כנה

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:10 am
During corona last year baby girls were named at home shuls were closed and no minyan outside then.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:12 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
My moms name is Hanny, she never got a Jewish name in shul... nevertheless on my ketubah I read: אסתר בת כנה

Chana with a Ches (not Chaf)

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:58 am
You need to ask your Rav. I know of more than one woman who had to get named at the Torah later in life even though they were known by their hebrew name for their whole lives.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:04 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
During corona last year baby girls were named at home shuls were closed and no minyan outside then.

Yes, this came up last year. No problem. But it is a nice thing and accepted thing to do. Speak to your rav.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:11 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
You need to ask your Rav. I know of more than one woman who had to get named at the Torah later in life even though they were known by their hebrew name for their whole lives.

This.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:23 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:

And maybe she spelled it that way.
If she was stating that she wanted to name a baby now, what is your preferred spelling, then your statement is relevant. Like this it is just play mean and inappropriate.

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 3:08 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
yeah sorry bt here

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 3:17 pm
Part of dh's family are Yemenite and when they had a daughter, they did a naming event with a lot of family members present on someone's roof garden. It came with a meal and divrei Torah but no Torah reading.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names