Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Early signs of autism
Previous  1  2

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 1:20 am
When my sun was 4 months old we went to a taping of a local tv show to be in the audience. Lots of ppl brought babies but my kid screamed like he was in hell. We spent the show in the green room.

Otherwise, there wasn’t really anything obvious until he was around a year or 14 months.

He’s turning 25 in two weeks and tonight he helped me with my school project, and sincerely helped me. I have a 96.5 % average this semester and thought I was going to fail but he really helped me. SO, you never know...

He also graduated high school with honours and has Completed a community college certificate in AutoCAD. He’s thinking about a bachelor of architecture online too. He is a gentleman and a kind soul who has great life skills but not such excellent executive skills. I’m so proud of him and hope someday all his dreams come true!

Edited to say his sister was one of the infant siblings in the infant sibling study. Infant sibling of a child on the spectrum. (She isn’t but is introverted and has some sensory issues all while being gorgeous and a social justice warrior PLUS a budding computer programmer specializing in artificial intelligence who’ll graduate from her universities (2) with two BA’s one in math and the other in business. We had her followed by EI to be sure from the earliest times.

Early intervention is everything. Call them now. Worry about if you’re wrong later.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 2:38 am
My ASD child was the crankiest infant but the most calm and cuddly toddler. He played with toys appropriately, interacted with peers in his 18 months playgroup and in his early headstart (2-3) playgroup, made eye contact, and had no significant speech delays until almost age 3. At that point a gap started forming. He didn't progress as much socially and in other areas as was expected for his age and began displaying rigid, repetitive behaviors, difficulty with communicating on an age appropriate level and he struggles with executive functions.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 7:37 am
There were two things I noticed before age one for my DS who has high functioning autism.
He didn't snuggle when I rested him on my shoulder.
He fixated on celing fans to the point that they distracted him from nursing.
After age one, he started rocking on all fours in his crib.
We requested an early intervention evaluation when the pediatrician said his speech and motor delays were significant.
We took him to a developmental pediatrician around age 14 months. She said he didn't meet criteria for an autism diagnosis yet but possibly would in the future. She diagnosed him at age 3 and he entered a preschool for kids with HF autism.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 9:48 am
My 16 month old baby has some of these symptoms. Is it important to go for testing this soon? If yes, what kind of testing?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:17 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
The flapping is one the signs. Its called stimming.
My son had different stimming habits over the years, like nervous habits.

Stimming is normal in an 8-month-old, autism or not. It's the full picture that makes the difference, but you can't formally diagnose at such a young age.

justforfun87

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:42 am
First sign for my nephew was his refusal to eat solids/texture for a very long time.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)