Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
So hungry!
Previous  1  2

Chan1e

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 3:22 am
Slice up potatoes super duper thin with the side of the box grater and make them with eggs - that's what my Grandmother used to do. Also, she made jelly with tomatoes and spread it on the eggs. Equal weight sugar to the tomatoes, cook them down and when it is 106C (I don't know F) it will become jelly.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 8:53 am
The hardest thing for me, is not eating kitniyot.

All of my spices and condiments are off limits, so everything is BORING. I have food in the house, B'H, but I never know what I'm in the mood for, and I'm not feeling very inspired to cook.

(To make matters worse, even my cat hates his new Pesach cat food. He just stares at it, and then YOWLS at me in indignation. He will. not. shut. up! 😾 )

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 9:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

(To make matters worse, even my cat hates his new Pesach cat food. He just stares at it, and then YOWLS at me in indignation. He will. not. shut. up! 😾 )

Drizzle it witht the water from a tin of tuna, and add a bit of tuna on top. Mine will eat anything that way - even antibiotics! For some reason they've decided they like the Pesach food this year though, and are busy gobbling it down before someone else finishes and tries to get an extra bite.

Then you can eat the rest of the tuna - whether you feel like it or not!

Frumme

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 9:26 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I'm pregnant and starving!! I can't stomach chicken or meat, and there's no processed foods or dairy so bananas it is

You're pregnant. Call your rav. Even if you don't eat processed foods on pesach, most rabbonim will say dairy is fine on pesach if you can't hold down meat.

Are you Chabad? Reach out to Rabbi Lesches in Monsey.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 9:44 am
So far today I had some chocolate and an orange for breakfast, 3 sunny eggs and some fried potatoes and salad, matza and butter and a banana pancake for lunch. Not hungry at all.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 12:14 am
I can’t really digest matza, dairy is usually a no-go, and sugar is problematic for me, but I’ve found these work sometimes (tho I miss beans and hummus A LOT!)

I eat as many veg as I can with everything - easier for those who eat peels!- lettuce, cabbage, cucumbers, peppers, cabbage, cooked or raw or slaw or dressed or plain. Veg veg veg.

Raw fruit. Juicy and fresh. (Personally I need to eat with proteins for sugar overload but most people don’t. I like a handful of almonds or other nuts for that.)

Baked sweet potatoes (any time)

Eggs and potato hash browns OR avocado OR cold cheese if I can handle dairy that day

Tuna with Mayo and lemon juice with hard boiled eggs (even some potato chips if I can handle it)

Guac (avocado + lemon, spices, tomatoes and hearts of palm) plus a salad plus hard boiled eggs

Egg omelette with fried tomatoes and spinach and spices.

Leftover salmon and salad. Leftover gefilte fish with Chrain and salad.

Salad plus feta cheese (I can handle a little) and maybe potato sticks with tons of veg.

SO MANY EGGS. What can I do? Can’t eat matzo, can’t eat dairy.... it’ll probably even out cholesterol wise in the end :-)

Soups are wonderful but SO MUVH WORK.

And chocolate! In small doses because of sugar so I don’t get sick. A square or two here... and there...

LOTS AND LOTS OF WATEE for those of us who have have challenges with digesting matzo lol

For example today...

3 eggs? Plus a tablespoon or two of hash browns (all that was left over lol)
Leftover dressed carrot slaw
Cheese stick
Pineapple and clementine
Two cucumbers and half a carton of tomatoes
Banana

Can Tuna plus Mayo lemon spices
Two cucumbers
Clementines and pineapple
Some chocolate bit by bit
Two hard boiled eggs

Supper was leftover proteins plus as many veg as I could cushion it, some leftover greasy kugel (I paid for it later!) and another clementine.

If this sounds like a lot maybe it is - I’m BH in first trimester and nauseous all the time so my intuitive eating is a little out of whack because my satiety cues are somewhat messed up. But I’m trying. And my body sure does let me know if I’ve messed up...

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 12:38 am
Frumme wrote:
You're pregnant. Call your rav. Even if you don't eat processed foods on pesach, most rabbonim will say dairy is fine on pesach if you can't hold down meat.

Are you Chabad? Reach out to Rabbi Lesches in Monsey.

I'm by my parents, the issue is less that there's no dairy or processed foods and more that the food that is available isn't working for me. I've made Pesach before and I was always well fed with yummy food that was always available and didn't bend on any Chumra. Especially being pregnant I'm not comfortable dropping things now. I'll live, it's just frustrating knowing how many options there could be if I could control the kitchen Hiding

Frumme

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:47 am
I'm by my parents, the issue is less that there's no dairy or processed foods and more that the food that is available isn't working for me. I've made Pesach before and I was always well fed with yummy food that was always available and didn't bend on any Chumra. Especially being pregnant I'm not comfortable dropping things now. I'll live, it's just frustrating knowing how many options there could be if I could control the kitchen Hiding

Do your parents not know about your pregnancy? They would not allow cheeses, yogurt, cottage cheese in their fridge for you to have? Sad

tree of life

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:51 am
I'm pregnant and starving!! I can't stomach chicken or meat, and there's no processed foods or dairy so bananas it is

We don't do process food
We are eating plenty what about salmon eggs mash potatoes
Mince meat like shepherd pie is not so heavy on your stomach

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:04 am
no. we eat GOOOO food bli sof here b´´H. maybe too much.

why is everybody hungry?

we make tons of salads and dipps, mornnigs are chalavi and the rest of the day we fill up on brisket, steak, papaya, mango, bananas, avocados....

you dont like these foods? our kdis enjoy it and dh finds pessach food much yummier (maybe because less processed).

maybe we keep less chumros and filling up on gebrokts is easy.
nosh is very limited here: we have nuts and nuts and nuts and fruit and marshmallows.

kids eat mazzahball soup gtwice a day, cos they LOVE it. I make sure to include rootvegies etc.

maybe its not the most balanced diet but nobody is hungry here I promis!

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:11 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

why is everybody hungry?

we make tons of salads and dipps, mornnigs are chalavi and the rest of the day we fill up on brisket, steak, papaya, mango, bananas, avocados....

you dont like these foods? our kdis enjoy it and dh finds pessach food much yummier (maybe because less processed).

nosh is very limited here: we have nuts and nuts and nuts and fruit and marshmallows.

kids eat mazzahball soup gtwice a day, cos they LOVE it. I make sure to include rootvegies etc.

My kids are all allergic to nuts.
Two kids allergic to eggs.
DH allergic to dairy.
We don't eat any gebrochts not even shmeared- butter or cheese.
We're not hungry, but it's quite a challenge.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 12:31 pm
I eat matzah pizza all day and do not get full. Why in the world am I still hungry after all this matzah?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:11 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
I eat matzah pizza all day and do not get full. Why in the world am I still hungry after all this matzah?

Drink a lot and eat a vegetable or fruit with the matzah you will be satisfied

professor

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 8:23 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Yes! All the time! I'm eating chocolate but that's just making me nauseous.

How does chocolate make anyone nauseous?

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 9:41 pm
professor wrote:
How does chocolate make anyone nauseous?

I must be a strange, strange bird. It makes me nauseous occasionally, especially milk chocolate.

Frumme

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:28 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

why is everybody hungry?

Meals are much harder if you use limited or no processed foods & no gebrokts. It takes more planning, meal prep, time, and creativity. Once you make the food it's very easy, but the food goes quickly.

For example, gefilte fish. Grind the fish, mix together, shape into logs, freeze, boil or bake. If you bake you probably need a sauce. And the sauce takes time e.g. tomato sauce (chop and saute, cook down, cool off). Then the actual baking time. And after all that work, the gefilte fish is delicious but it gets eaten really fast since it's what you're filling up on.

Basically a lot of the normal short cuts people might use aren't there (e.g. spice blends, premade mayo, etc). And fruits & veg are great but honestly not filling unless you eat a lot of it (look up fruitarians-- a meal is like 4 cups of blueberries and 20 dates)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics