Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Discussion on the Daf - Shekalim
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:53 am
Aylat wrote:
daf 9a
"מדברים היו עמו משעה שהוא נכנס עד שעה שהוא יוצא"

I get that it's important to act above suspicion. So why send in someone by themselves? Why not send in 2 witnesses with him, or do it publicly somehow?

Also in the משנה
"שמא יעני ויאמרו מעון הלשכה העני, או שמא יעשיר ויאמרו מתרומת הלשכה העשיר"
You can't win! If people want to gossip, they'll find a pretext.

I don’t think someone was sent in lightly. It had to be for a specific “mikdash related” task. Talking to him was one of the ways to keep an eye on him without actually going in.

Regarding your second point - People will always talk, but from way back (ברכות דף ג׳) it’s important for us not to make it easy for them.

Aylat

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:55 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I don’t think someone was sent in lightly. It had to be for a specific “mikdash related” task. Talking to him was one of the ways to keep an eye on him without actually going in.

Regarding your second point - People will always talk, but from way back (ברכות דף ג׳) it’s important for us not to make it easy for them.

חשד and מפולת!

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:57 am
Aylat wrote:
The bolded is my attitude too.

Are you kidding! 10 daf is loads! I haven't managed to do Zichru since ברכות, but instead I listen to Rabbi Wise's shiur as a basis, and when I have time, to Rabbi Rosner's shiur afterwards.

10 Daf sounds like more than it is. It’s 10 daf of Zichru simanim. Still takes me at least half an hour - which on top the Daf + the day’s Zichru (another 20 minutes) can be hard to find . . .

R’Rosner is my go to shiur. No matter how many others I’ve tried - I always keep going back to his.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:58 am
Aylat wrote:
חשד and מפולת!

Exactly Wink

Aylat

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 11:58 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I think that particular korbanos, which are brought by individuals have connection with those individuals (hence חטאות מתות), but korbanos tzibbur have an effect on everyone. I think in the same manner - having the mizbayach in use sets a tone, sends a message, and has an effect on the entire tzibbur . . .

I hear.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 12:24 pm
https://www.thelehrhaus.com/sc.....lmud/

Here’s a great article of you were wondering about this masechet.

Aylat

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
https://www.thelehrhaus.com/scholarship/what-is-yerushalmi-shekalim-doing-in-the-babylonian-talmud/

Here’s a great article of you were wondering about this masechet.

Thanks!

I had heard about the two different versions of ירושלמי מסכת שקלים:
"If we investigate the manuscripts used by Bomberg’s team, there seem to have been two traditions of tractate Shekalim: A typical Yerushalmi tractate, and a different tractate of 'Shekalim Yerushalmi-as-part-of-the-Bavli.' "
and I find it really confusing.

I'm in the middle of listening to the intro to שקלים from פורטל דף היומי https://files.daf-yomi.com/fil.....a.mp4 (in Hebrew) and I think some speakers are going to explain more about this.intro to שקלים

feigeleh

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 2:52 pm
Thanks Aylat, really interesting

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 3:41 am
Aylat wrote:
I'm a bit confused about how they did the תרומה, can anyone explain it to me?
First תרומה: the כהן took from a box, then covered what was left with a leather covering. Anything new was added on top, what was underneath was שיירים. So I thought they took from the heap on top of the leather for the second תרומה. But there's three boxes and they take from a different one each תרומה?

Yes! Thank you! I don't understand if the shekalim under the leather coverings were the extra money that they used to pay for all the extras from?

I can't picture the three pots in my mind and how they used it.

Aylat

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 12:42 pm
Daf 14

הוגרס בן לוי שהיה מנעים את קולו בזמר וכשהיה
נועץ גודלו בתוך פיו היה מוציא כמה מיני זמר
The first recorded instance of beat boxing?

Aylat

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 3:53 pm
Daf 15

On the one hand we are concerned about thieving - we write the date on the חותמות, the money boxes are in the shape of שופרות. On the other hand there is לשכת החשאין where people leave צדקה money and anyone who wants can come secretly and take.
?

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 2:14 am
Aylat wrote:
Daf 15

On the one hand we are concerned about thieving - we write the date on the חותמות, the money boxes are in the shape of שופרות. On the other hand there is לשכת החשאין where people leave צדקה money and anyone who wants can come secretly and take.
?

It didn't seem all that secret when people discussed Rabbi Zecharyah who took and they felt he shouldn't have taken, and only found out when he died that he was actually disseminating tzedakah.

farm

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 11:51 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
It didn't seem all that secret when people discussed Rabbi Zecharyah who took and they felt he shouldn't have taken, and only found out when he died that he was actually disseminating tzedakah.

They weren’t talking about him taking from this location. It was a tangential story about giving tzedakah in a way that minimizes the ani’s embarrassment.

Aylat

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:46 pm
Chodesh tov! I really liked saying Hallel this morning and thinking about the Gemara in Pesachim - the detail that repeating the פסוקים comes all the way from the Gemara really struck me. One day I would love beH to have the opportunity to learn that section about Tehillim in more depth.

Aylat

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 11:49 pm
And just a quick comment - this year I learned some of the מפרשים on the כלי המשכן in פרשיות תרומה-פקודי and I really enjoyed all the discussion about the ארון, פרוכת etc in this מסכת.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 12:39 am
batmelech1 wrote:
I’m confused. Are frum women studying Gemara?
As far as I know it’s asur for women..

Do a search .

We had this discussion many times

Please take it off this thread...

This thread is only for chizuk

Aylat

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 1:31 am
Hi naturalmom5! Good to 'see' you Smile Thank you for all your divrei Torah when noone else was managing to keep up with posting.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 3:54 am
WHY IS THERE POOLS OF SALIVA EVERYWHERE?! And puddles of blood from wild donkeys?

Along with the piles of excrement from Brachos, I really appreciate living in the modern age.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 4:52 am
imorethanamother wrote:
WHY IS THERE POOLS OF SALIVA EVERYWHERE?! And puddles of blood from wild donkeys?

Along with the piles of excrement from Brachos, I really appreciate living in the modern age.

Even a hundred years ago, spittoons were common. I'm not sure why we spit less nowadays.

Anyway, חזק, looking forward to moving onward!

Aylat

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:11 pm
הדרן עלך מסכת שקלים והדרך עלן!
Very interesting peep into a topic I'd never thought of before - the financial running of the בית המקדש.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....60754 - here we go for מסכת יומא!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics