Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Gefilte fish in oven

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 1:10 am
Hi can Anyone give as exact instructions as possible? I usually cook om stove but limited space. How much water? And most importantly, how long do you bake for? I understand ovens vary but it would be helpful to know what worked for you. I have GE oven. Thanks in advance!!

Frumme

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 1:13 am
No water, bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hrs

I like to spread a sauce on top. Tomato, matbucha, mayo/sugar/carrots. Or you can do oil and spices (paprika, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, etc)

Take frozen log out of freezer, run the log in its parchment for a minute to loosen the log slightly so you can unwrap it without the paper sticking or the loaf defrosting too much. Place in lined pan and bake

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 3:26 am
I just take it out of the plastic wrapper and wrap it in aluminum foil ( no need to take off the parchment paper). Bake at 350F for 2-3 hours and done.

bsy

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 3:44 am
I do 1/4 cup sugar, heaping tsp salt, and sprinkle pepper, dissolved in about a cup of water. I cut an onion, put wrapped fish on top seam side down. Pour the water/sugar mix on top. Cover and bake at 350 for 90 minutes. If you like your fish more mushy you can do more water.

cuffs

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 7:58 am
I add a little water to the bottom of the pan. Cover and bake for 1 and 1/2 hours to 2 hours

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:18 am
I do it the way I do it on the stove top.

1 onion
1 carrot
Approx 3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp salt
Black pepper
Lay everything in a 9x13 pan and add enough water to cover the roll 1/4 of the way. Cover and bake on 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:45 am
Thanks all for your helpful responses!! Just wondering for those that write 1.5 to 2 hours, what's the difference? It's not like a cake that I can check if ready, no?

bsy

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:52 am
I always do exactly 1.5 hours on 350. Never had an issue.

happy chick

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all for your helpful responses!! Just wondering for those that write 1.5 to 2 hours, what's the difference? It's not like a cake that I can check if ready, no?

I found that closer to 2 hours, the paper comes off easier. When I do it for less, it sticks to the fish.
I think when ppl say 1 1/2-2 hrs, they mean it doesn't have to be timed like a cake or cookies.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:58 am
Defrost it a little so the paper comes off
Put it in aluminum pan with carrot and onion
Sugar and pepper on top
Fill pan half way with water
Bake 350 1 1/2 hours

I do it like this every week not just pesach

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:05 am
Imo, gefilte fish doesnt need an "exact" methodology.
When I was newly married, I used to take it off the flame after 1.5 hours.
These days I bake it for 2- 3 hours. Or more.
The difference is basically that the fish gets firmer and more well done, the longer you bake it. (It could burn if there is no water though, so be careful). You could cut nicer slices. If you bake it under 1.5 hours it will be more mushy and fall apart when you cut it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:40 am
Hi there! I'm back. Thanks for all the tips! I've been baking in oven since pesach and saves me 1 pot to wash!! Just wondering, I'm finding the carrot doesn't get soft/ cooked enough to eat. Also, the sugar is not sweetening the fish like it did on stove. I've been just putting water and spices, not really mixing together. Should I be mixing the water and sugar snd spices well before baking? Does that make difference? Anyone relate? Any tips? Thanks tons in advance!!

Bubby6

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:54 am
I slice the carrot and try to make sure it's covered by some water. Even then, the carrot doesn't get as soft as when it is boiled in a pot.
As for the taste, I don't know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics