Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach items you save for next year
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:04 pm
Anything vacuum sealed/canned. Spices, in a ziplock. Potato starch. Teas. Matza meal and nuts sealed in freezer. Some sauces and jams double sealed in ziplock in extra fridge.

Lady A

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:06 pm
We strictly save only spices and matzo as far as food items go.
Even matzo meal gets used year round.
This year we splurged on a water urn and I feel like I am a member of the Rothschild family!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 31 2021, 10:08 pm
Till this year we saved lots. Note we found shmurah Matzah from 2017 that's disgusting smelling and cannot be used. I wanted to cry.... Never again. I recently heard a a short podcast explaining that hording stuff (in general) shows a lack of bitachon that HKBH will provide for you in the future. From now on my motto is USE IT SO YOU DON'T LOSE IT.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:06 am
Reality wrote:
Some are. Like I bought sugar for 3.99 instead of 1.49. Still doesn't seem worth it to save. You are taking a chance that it will go bad and then everything goes in the garbage. If you just use it at least I know it didn't go to waste.

Regular sugar doesn't go bad. I wrap in cling film.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:14 am
Closed boxes of matzah. My mother saves a lot, mil doesn’t save at all and this was my and HD’s compromise.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:17 am
For those saving sugar: isn’t (most) sugar kosher for pesach year round? Why save? Unless you’re using the heimish brands that is? Are you saving domino sugar?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:18 am
I check exp dates and save certain things but never spices. They lose their flavour even in a freezer.

Frumme

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:18 am
Reality wrote:
Some are. Like I bought sugar for 3.99 instead of 1.49. Still doesn't seem worth it to save. You are taking a chance that it will go bad and then everything goes in the garbage. If you just use it at least I know it didn't go to waste.

! $4 for a bag of sugar?!

And here's me thinking everyone just gets the Walmart or Domino's sugar which is KLP year round LOL

(Btw I agree with you, my mom used to save matzah but I never understood it. Now the only things that get "saved" are things that inadvertently haven't been used in a year 😂 looking at you, canned sardines....)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:07 am
Whatever you do, make a list of what you have/need easily accessible so you can augment as soon as the products hit the stores, before you start cooking. (I'm looking at you, vanilla extract, this year.)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:22 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Whatever you do, make a list of what you have/need easily accessible so you can augment as soon as the products hit the stores, before you start cooking. (I'm looking at you, vanilla extract, this year.)

Thanks for reminding me.
This Pesach you didn't get vanilla extract? Sold out?

funkyfrummom

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:32 am
adwe tums
adwe toothpaste
tea bags
ground pepper

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:51 am
I’m fascinated that people have freezer space to save things? How many/how big are your freezers?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:52 am
Spices
Tea bags

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:56 am
Eemaof3 wrote:
I always save my spices but this year I noticed that many had expired 3-4 YEARS ago! Yup - dumping this year!

I save them, but note to replace every 2 to 3 years or so. This year was a "replace" year.

I save unopened honey. Sometimes sealed potato starch, although I use that year round. Artificial sweetener. Tea. Everything else is pressed into year-round use.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:59 am
Only spices and unopened packages (didn’t bake and I have sealed vanilla extract and baking powder) tuna and sardines. My DH went to the store and I don’t know what he was thinking-I have 24 cans of tuna and used 2. During the year I use regular OU, not hamish brands, and I am finding these gross. I will probably keep 4-6 and donate the rest. I will keep my unopened apple cider vinegar.
Anything which can get bugs or spill/explode/spoil, or won’t be eaten next year either will be either made chametz or donated.

paperflowers

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:59 am
Reality wrote:
Why do people save every day food items? I just use them. The only reason I have saved almond flour is because I never use it during the year.

Because I don’t finish it throughout the year, end up getting a new one the next pesach and not finishing that either. I don’t bake a ton so certain ingredients last me a long time. I haven’t saved in the past, but I have too many jars of cinnamon and bottles of vanilla extract so I think I will save them this year. Things like sugar I wouldn’t save because I’ll go through more than a bag in a year.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 12:06 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Till this year we saved lots. Note we found shmurah Matzah from 2017 that's disgusting smelling and cannot be used. I wanted to cry.... Never again. I recently heard a a short podcast explaining that hording stuff (in general) shows a lack of bitachon that HKBH will provide for you in the future. From now on my motto is USE IT SO YOU DON'T LOSE IT.

Having recently recovered from a severe case of pantry moths, I am not storing ANYTHING for next year. I use it right away, freeze it, or don't buy it in the first place.

As for the hoarding issue, I agree 100%. I am a recovering hoarder, and when I first started learning about emunah and bitachon, it finally clicked in my brain. I was severely insecure about needing all my "stuff", because I had been homeless in the past. (Like one change of underwear, and sleeping on park benches type of homeless.)

Once I started working on my relationship with Hashem, and learning to trust, I was able to let go of so much of the baggage that I'd accumulated, both emotionally and in material goods. It's still a work in progress, but I'm doing so much better. I'm very happy with how far I've come in just a couple of years.

I'm able to stop myself from impulse buying (usually Wink ), and ask myself if I NEED it, and if I can afford it. I'm not always successful, but I try very hard not to beat myself up about it. I just go through my things and see what I can cull to donate or sell.

moonstone

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 12:26 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:
Not worth it to me to save a $3 container of spices taking up ‘real estate’. Sugar? No way. Use it during the year. Not worth the risk of bugs/ants. Spices lose their potency and when you are spending for meat and chicken $$$$ why go cheap on spices and ruin it all?

Yeah, I don't understand the mentality of keeping food from year to year. Totally not worth the savings of a few dollars to store that stuff, even if it doesn't go bad (which it might). I have no desire to use year-old food. Just use it throughout the year and buy new for Pesach.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 12:47 pm
I store sealed cans of cocoa and cottonseed oil.
Make sure to write down what you are saving.
Also, I save the havdala candle and besamim because I somehow always forg3wt to buy a new one.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Only spices and unopened packages (didn’t bake and I have sealed vanilla extract and baking powder) tuna and sardines. My DH went to the store and I don’t know what he was thinking-I have 24 cans of tuna and used 2. During the year I use regular OU, not hamish brands, and I am finding these gross. I will probably keep 4-6 and donate the rest. I will keep my unopened apple cider vinegar.
Anything which can get bugs or spill/explode/spoil, or won’t be eaten next year either will be either made chametz or donated.

No way of making tuna salad or something else which can conceal the taste?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics