Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Driving lessons- what to really expect per lesson
1  2  Next

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 7:56 pm
Someone please clue me in.

My husband is currently taking driving lessons and paying the guy 100$ a lesson
Those lessons are 1 hour 30 min long
So far he’s had 8 lessons so far but all they’re doing is driving around.

My husband still does not know how to park. All he knows is how to start the car and press the gas and turn the wheel.
I don’t drive myself but I think he should’ve been learning more stuff by each lesson if not then learn something new one day then practice that new thing the next day and go on to the next lesson.

Starting to think this guy is just taking my husbands hard earned $.
What do people learn at each driving lesson?
Is this normal? Should we switch to someone else?

My husband found this guys number in a phone book.

number

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:02 pm
Definitely not normal. Why can’t he get a referral from someone local? Or maybe someone here has a suggestion for you. He shouldn’t go with this person again though.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:05 pm
That’s expensive. You should be able to get a package of 10 lessons for less than $800. That would include all lessons to prepare for the road test.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:06 pm
He needs to learn K turns and U turns and parallel parking , in addition to regular driving .

Lovemy5

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:15 pm
Try Beep Beep driving school on 15/39 in BP. My DC took lessons there. I don’t remember how much but not nearly as much as you’re paying. They also help arrange the test if you need (this was pre-Covid).

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:44 pm
Thanks everyone.

He tried to get into beep beep school but they were booked.
Will look for suggestions to find someone else to teach him

shoshanim999

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:55 pm
I actually don't see anything wrong with any of it. My kids take driving lessons at around $75 for 45 minutes. If your husband is getting 90 minutes for $100 that's actually a good deal.

You say all they've been doing is "driving around". Well that's exactly how someone learns to drive! Yes there's parking and u-turns but it's perfectly normal that a new driver should first master basic driving before learning these other skills.

PP31419

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:00 pm
the first few lessons are just driving and getting comfortable with the roads, traffic laws etc but somewhere by third or fourth lesson they did the K turns and parallel parking. Why doesn’t your husband ask the driver when he expects to cover it?

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:07 pm
It’s his first time ever dealing with a driving teacher so I guess he does not know what else he needs to learn

He has an appointment for a road test the next month

cnc

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:16 pm
The price is reasonable. Lessons are usually 45 minutes so 90 minutes is a double lesson.

number

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:27 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
I actually don't see anything wrong with any of it. My kids take driving lessons at around $75 for 45 minutes. If your husband is getting 90 minutes for $100 that's actually a good deal.

You say all they've been doing is "driving around". Well that's exactly how someone learns to drive! Yes there's parking and u-turns but it's perfectly normal that a new driver should first master basic driving before learning these other skills.

I think the price is fine. The issue is that her husband doesn’t seem to be making progress.
HaShem n farfel when you say he doesn’t know how to park, do you mean parallel park? Or pull into a parking spot in a parking lot, or into a driveway?
Can he turn on the windshield wipers? The headlights?
Does he know how to turn left onto a busy road?
Maybe I misunderstood. I assumed that when you said he doesn’t know how to park, you meant a parking lot or driveway. But I guess if you’re in Brooklyn then maybe parking means parallel parking.

happy12

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:00 pm
Price is right but at this point he should be further along. My 18 took the test after 6 lessons with no additional practice and had never driven before. On child took it after 8 lessons.(all went thru Beep Beep)
He should ask the driver at what point will he know everything for the test.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 4:55 am
Really, all I know is that my husband is telling me and his friend that they’re just driving around the neighborhood. IyH tomorrow I’ll ask for more details on what he knows now and will update.

But so far all I know is that he knows how to start the car, press the gas (and how much to press it), turn the wheel to turn. I don’t know if he knows how to turn on the windshields and headlights and all that little stuff.

I never learnt how to drive, my mother tried teaching me at 16 and basically got very turned off after I crashed and knocked down a light pole in a park that very first time. Don’t have any interest either. Maybe one day, if chas veshalom there’s an emergency.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 4:58 am
So the price I guess it’s normal for driving school. I don’t know what they are but since y’all say it’s normal, then okay.

But I think he should be doing more than just driving around at this point. It’s been 8 lessons and he’s still doing the same stuff.
My husband told his friend the driving teacher didn’t need to step on the brake as often as the first few times....
He needs to learn the big stuff too, like how to park anywhere whether a hill or a parking lot or beside the curb and make a u turn, merge into a lane, all that stuff and the little things like turning on headlights how to turn on the left and right signals etc

happyone

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 7:24 am
Driving teachers usually follow the cues of their students. Maybe he is not ready for the next lesson and he continues to practice with basic driving safely and turns ? lessons vary from 4 to 12 lessons on average and the pricing seems right. Some naturally pick it up after just a lesson or two and some practice. Some need many lessons to gain confidence .

Teomima

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 7:41 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
So the price I guess it’s normal for driving school. I don’t know what they are but since y’all say it’s normal, then okay.

But I think he should be doing more than just driving around at this point. It’s been 8 lessons and he’s still doing the same stuff.
My husband told his friend the driving teacher didn’t need to step on the brake as often as the first few times....
He needs to learn the big stuff too, like how to park anywhere whether a hill or a parking lot or beside the curb and make a u turn, merge into a lane, all that stuff and the little things like turning on headlights how to turn on the left and right signals etc

Even if he's just driving around then he's still learning some of these things, too.

Here in Israel you have to take a ridiculous number of lessons and often at the very first lesson they already show you basically everything about the car. The point is to practice practice practice driving itself. It's not like a math test where you learn the material and can take the exam. You have to be comfortable and at ease on the road and that would ideally happen with an instructor, when someone is there to hit the break if you run into trouble, rather than after you get your license and potentially put other people at risk.

But it's also not at all unreasonable for him to ask the instructor when he plans on teaching him everything else. I also recommend he ask the instructor to teach him basics about what's under the hood, even how to get gas if he doesn't know.

trixx

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 7:47 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Then maybe he's not ready for more if his teacher has to keep pressing on the brake so far.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 7:50 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

I never learnt how to drive, my mother tried teaching me at 16 and basically got very turned off after I crashed and knocked down a light pole in a park that very first time. Don’t have any interest either. Maybe one day, if chas veshalom there’s an emergency.

I've never been particularly interested in driving either. I'm fine with public transport. But its better to have a licence a d know how to drive before the emergency comes up.

Cookin4days

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:12 am
Maybe the driving instructor doesn’t feel like your husband is ready to start making U turns and parallel, he could just want your husband to get comfortable on the road. Also if they’re just driving around as you say he’s most definitely working on his turns and switching lanes which is very important

My first driving instructor was the absolute worst and traumatized me from driving I didn’t get my license till many years later and needed to learn everything all over again when I was mentally ready again

watergirl

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:17 am
Maybe its different when you are a teenager and take drivers ed, but my daughter's class was $650 and covered everything from classroom instruction to 9 hours of driving time and they went through everything they would need for the permit test and the driving test. They learned everything from a-z, and then it was up to me and my husband to take her for her 51 remaining hours our state requires (you need 60 hours of road time where we live before you can take the driving skills test at the DMV).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars