Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Silver tip roast
Previous  1  2

bnm

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:23 pm
it will turn into shoe leather.

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 11:38 am
bnm wrote:
Thank you. Served it for supper tonight and everyone had doubles.

I know this is old but which of the above recipes did you use that worked out so well?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 3:08 pm
I used these instructions for a silver tip erev RH. You need to time your cooking so that the oven is free (no last minute cooking) and preheated an hour before YT. And the oven has to be free for 2.5 hours once YT starts as well (this is not the recipe to use if you use your oven to heat your food on YT- only if you keep it off for YT).

I marinated the silver tip for 24 hours in a ziploc with olive oil, lots of fresh garlic and double the amount of salt you usually think you need. Sprinkled with a bit of Mccormick Montréal steak seasoning on top. And roasted it at 500/525 for 7 minutes per pound. Kept oven closed and turned off oven at the zman. Told everyone not to touch the oven door or peek. Took it out 2.5 hours later. It was divine. Perfect medium.
We really enjoyed the leftovers in roast beef sandwiches after YT with sautéed onions in warm baguettes.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....84660

Rubies

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 3:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I used these instructions for a silver tip erev RH. You need to time your cooking so that the oven is free (no last minute cooking) and preheated an hour before YT. And the oven has to be free for 2.5 hours once YT starts as well (this is not the recipe to use if you use your oven to heat your food on YT- only if you keep it off for YT).

I marinated the silver tip for 24 hours in a ziploc with olive oil, lots of fresh garlic and double the amount of salt you usually think you need. Sprinkled with a bit of Mccormick Montréal steak seasoning on top. And roasted it at 500/525 for 7 minutes per pound. Kept oven closed and turned off oven at the zman. Told everyone not to touch the oven door or peek. Took it out 2.5 hours later. It was divine. Perfect medium.
We really enjoyed the leftovers in roast beef sandwiches after YT with sautéed onions in warm baguettes.

I don't know what this method is called but it's supposed to be delicious used on a prime rib.

bnm

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 8:32 pm
seeker wrote:
I know this is old but which of the above recipes did you use that worked out so well?

my meat had been marked wrong- we were told we are getting a silver tip roast but it was a minute roast.

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 8:40 pm
Well here's the next level question. I actually defrosted the meat on (I think) Thursday thinking roast is the kind of thing I can make in advance. Before I knew that this is a SpEcIaL roast that you shouldn't. Think it's ok to just let it keep on keeping on until an hour before yom tov tomorrow or should I go ahead and cook it before it spoils? I THINK it was Thursday I defrosted it because I am pretty sure I wasn't thinking that far ahead before Yom Kippur.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 8:42 pm
At this point just marinate it now so you can make it tomorrow.

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 8:44 pm
I'm not sure I can handle all that delicate timing, I was going to do the one posted above that has you just simmer it on the stove for 2 hours. But maybe I can try... and then you slice it while it's still warm and serve like that?

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 10:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:

What can I use instead of the montreal steak seasoning?

Also this roasting at 500/525 - is this covered or uncovered? I try to keep my oven parve...

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 11:58 pm
seeker wrote:
What can I use instead of the montreal steak seasoning?

Also this roasting at 500/525 - is this covered or uncovered? I try to keep my oven parve...

Uncovered.
Just sprinkle some black pepper on top and maybe a sprinkle of herbs. The seasoning was just to give it added nice look and taste. The marinade did most of the flavoring.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 12:04 am
Uncovered means no more roasting veggies to go with milchig meals... sigh. Oh well I guess I'll do it anyway because I want to serve delicious meat. I really need to detach my identity from these things but everyone likes me for it.

bobeli

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 1:59 am
I have a different way to make it.
Sauce: 1 cup duck sauce, 1 tablespoon onion soup mix, 2 garlic cubes, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Optional 1/4 cup apricot jam or honey
Cover the bottom of a dutch oven or enamel pot with onions, put a 3.5 lb silver tip roast on top, pour 1/2 cup red wine, then pour sauce over it, cover the pot and cook on medium flame for half an hour, then on low for 3 hours. Tourn flame off and let cool. Slice and freeze with the juice. (Don’t skip this step, it makes the meat tender)
Reheat as is or slice yukon potatoes and place on bottom of a 9x13, place defrosted meat on top and add the juice, optional you can make more sauce and pour over before heating. Cook on plata set to 275 for 2 hours or until potatoes are soft.
It comes out soft and delicious

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 09 2022, 2:03 am
Interesting! So many options now lol. Fortunately I have another 3 silver tip roasts coming up LOL (1 more in the freezer from where this came from. And 2 because I told DH "now that I found out silver tip roasts can't work with my "any roast" recipes I need something different for the second days" so he bought me a gigantic shoulder roast which it turns out is basically two silver tips. Though I think I once had a shoulder and had no idea what it was so I used my "any roast" recipe that is just low and slow in the oven for hours, and it was fine.)

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 11 2022, 9:11 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Ingredients:
1 2-lb silver tip roast
4 cloves garlic
2 onions sliced
Salt and pepper
Oil

Season roast with salt and pepper
In a pot, heat oil. Add onions and sauté on low heat. Add garlic and saute. Move onions and garlic to the side and add roast- sear on all sides. Add about a cup of water (or a little more, make sure there's water on all sides and it doesn't burn out). Bring to boil and quickly lower flame to low. Simmer on low for 2 hours. Slice when cold.

This is from faigy murray's instagram page.

Anyone know how to adjust cooking time for a roast that's more like 3-4 lb?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 11 2022, 9:15 pm
seeker wrote:

I would guess you should keep an eye on it until it’s fork tender. Maybe add some more water and rotate the roast while cooking. Good luck

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 11 2022, 9:21 pm
I don't think fork tender is going to be very informative because it's a very thick roast, fork will just get the outermost surface.... I really should buy a meat thermometer but too late for today

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 11 2022, 9:45 pm
seeker wrote:

3 hours. Doesn't have to be fork tender if you'll be rewarming the slices on YT and it will simmer a while.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 8:44 pm
Just returning to report that it came out quite good. I wouldn't say it was the best meat I ever had but it was certainly better than some. If we weren't doing low-carb then I would have added some corn starch after cooking to make the liquid into a richer gravy. Oh and also I replaced some of the water with a splash of wine for more flavor.

Thanks for the help!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics