Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you eat non shmurah matzah on pesach?
1  2  3  Next

Do you eat non shmurah matzah on pesach?
No I eat only shmurah matzah  
 66%  [ 113 ]
Yes I eat both  
 33%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 170

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:49 pm
Just for fun I was thinking to make a poll about this. I grew up not frum at all so the square machine matzah from the store was all our family knew about. After becoming frum and when I was living in a bigger tri state area community I became aware of shmurah matzah and afaik that's all people would eat on Pesach. Now we eat only shmurah on Pesach and in our small town I notice that alot of the frum people here do eat the non shmurah matzah as well. So I am simply curious, what do you eat?

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:52 pm
Are you referring to shmura matzah or hand matzah? Because there is shmura "square machine matzah" as well as non-shmura machine matzah.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:52 pm
In my world, shmurah is for the sedarim.
Regular matzo for the rest of Pesach

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:54 pm
Machine square matza can be shmura as well.

My parents only eat the round hand made shmura matzas- and they bake it themselves at the matza bakery. They don’t eat any machine matza (square)

My in laws only eat shmura matza - but no difference to them if square/machine or round/hand

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:00 pm
I mean non shmurah like the manischewitz or whatever in shop rite/costco/wherever. I know there is machine shmurah and hand made shmurah, I am not referring to the machine shmurah. I am just asking about the regular machine matzah. And come to think of it all the matzah meal products (matzah meal, cake meal,etc)

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:03 pm
We only eat shmura MACHINE matzah. Not hand. And only shmura.
We were once surprised when we were guests some where and we told them we ate machine and they bought us non shmura which we couldn’t eat. (BH we had brought our own anyways).

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:04 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
In my world, shmurah is for the sedarim.
Regular matzo for the rest of Pesach

I guess I live in your world. Same for us.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:05 pm
We eat hand shmura as well as machine shmura, but only from a few brands lol

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:07 pm
I'm sure there are outliers but I feel like most people who only eat shmurah don't eat gebrochts anyway, so the matza meal/cake meal isn't an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong!

We eat shmurah for seders and regular the rest of the week. My in-laws do buy machine shmurah for the week. I learned about spending thousands of dollars on matza on imamother.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:11 pm
I know people who buy shmurah matzah meal. I didn't even know that was a thing. But it is!

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:12 pm
We eat only shmura and eat gebrokts.
I don’t think I know anyone personally who eats non shmura but I know many ppl who eat gebrokts.
Of course we only buy shmura hand matzah meal.

Not sure why they would go together.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:17 pm
My husband is fine with machine matza. We don’t buy it because I don’t like it. So we only eat hand matza.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:17 pm
We only eat shmurah. We try to eat only hand the first days and either hand or machine afterwards. We definitely only get shmurah matzah meal, which often makes it hard to find matzah ball mix (we bruk.) Our shul rav prefers machine shmurah- he holds that in the case of matzos, machines make less errors than people.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:25 pm
We use machine, but only the haddar 18 min with a kaj hechsher. Plus regular hand matzah too.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know people who buy shmurah matzah meal. I didn't even know that was a thing. But it is!

I didn't either! Makes sense though!

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:36 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
... Our shul rav prefers machine shmurah- he holds that in the case of matzos, machines make more errors than people.

Did you mean that he holds machines make less errors than people?

Otherwise, why would he prefer machine shmura?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:37 pm
Only hand Shmura matzah the entire pesach. For the sedarim we use the matzah my husband baked with his chaburah at the matzah bakery.
We do eat gebrukts but I don’t use shmura matzah meal because all the food turns a dark color. I’ve used it on rare occasions for chocolate cake but my regular chocolate cake recipe tatstes much better.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:44 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I'm sure there are outliers but I feel like most people who only eat shmurah don't eat gebrochts anyway, so the matza meal/cake meal isn't an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong!

We eat shmurah for seders and regular the rest of the week. My in-laws do buy machine shmurah for the week. I learned about spending thousands of dollars on matza on imamother.

We eat only hand shmurah, and non-gebrokts. But achron shel Pesach I do make matza balls so I grind up hand shmurah for that before YT. That's basically the only thing I make with the ground matza. I'm not baking cakes with it or anything like that.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:48 pm
I hold by the OU. If they say that it is fine, it is fine for my family. I’m not so chashuv or such a gadol.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, we bruck and only eat shmurah matzah meal (and shmurah machine and hand matzah).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics