Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
New York legalises marijuana?
Previous  1  2

Would you use legal marijuana?
Yes  
 31%  [ 29 ]
No  
 68%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 93

monkeymamma

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:59 am
itsmeima wrote:
Besides the smell, I can't think of a good enough reason why not. This is excellent news for the sick (who desperately need it)!

Where I live it's been legal for a while now.

Regarding the bolded, there are edibles like gummies or pot brownies, etc so you dont have to deal with the smell. The problem is that underage people (anyone under the legal age of 21) will only have to pay $50 and take a class if they are caught using marijuana so basically there will be more addicted youth with easy access to drugs without any consequence for their actions. So much for the fight against drugs.

https://gothamist.com/news/can.....dQOQM

monkeymamma

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:07 am
cnc wrote:
Marijuana is something that was always very easily available- legal or not ....

I don’t think that people that will start using it now specifically because it’s legal.

I wonder how this will affect the people who are currently selling drugs illegally. Will they lose their businesses or will they become even bigger as people try to avoid the taxes when buying it legally (I believe its a 13% tax rate)? And if many of them are minorities then how does NY justify taking away business from minorities given that they are very busy about protecting the rights of minorities (even changing laws like the prostitution laws in the name of protecting minorities)?

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:22 am
Lakewood is making marijuana illegal now.

itsmeima

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:27 am
monkeymamma wrote:
Regarding the bolded, there are edibles like gummies or pot brownies, etc so you dont have to deal with the smell. The problem is that underage people (anyone under the legal age of 21) will only have to pay $50 and take a class if they are caught using marijuana so basically there will be more addicted youth with easy access to drugs without any consequence for their actions. So much for the fight against drugs.

https://gothamist.com/news/can.....dQOQM

Alcohol DOES NOT EQUAL alcoholic
Marijuana DOES NOT EQUAL drug addiction

itsmeima

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:30 am
monkeymamma wrote:
I wonder how this will affect the people who are currently selling drugs illegally. Will they lose their businesses or will they become even bigger as people try to avoid the taxes when buying it legally (I believe its a 13% tax rate)? And if many of them are minorities then how does NY justify taking away business from minorities given that they are very busy about protecting the rights of minorities (even changing laws like the prostitution laws in the name of protecting minorities)?

Good news! Legalizing Marijuana saves the government a lot of 💲💲💲

monkeymamma

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 12:08 pm
itsmeima wrote:
Alcohol DOES NOT EQUAL alcoholic
Marijuana DOES NOT EQUAL drug addiction

How is this relevant to what I said?
Many people become addicted but it was harder to get so it wasnt that widespread. Now they will be able to obtain it easily so the addiction levels will go up. Look at the amount of people taking CBD now that its become legal and that is not even supposed to be addictive. NY has been fighting an opiod problem so now they will also have to fight a marijuana problem as well. Teenagers will just be able to buy it as they see fit and they are underdeveloped so this could cause many problems with their development. Not sure how this is a good thing.

monkeymamma

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 12:10 pm
itsmeima wrote:
Good news! Legalizing Marijuana saves the government a lot of 💲💲💲

You dont answer my question but at least you admit that its all about the money for the government. They dont care about minorities (who will lose their businesses), or about youth (who will become addicted), they only care about the money they will potentially make to line their pockets with. Thanks for confirming.

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 12:25 pm
itsmeima wrote:
Interesting, I did not know that!
I wonder who did and who didn't qualify. Did people with chronic illnesses qualify?

MD rx. There was a list of Dx and only certain MDs had the ability to prescribe. Furthermore, was only available though certain pharmacies.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 12:48 pm
monkeymamma wrote:
You dont answer my question but at least you admit that its all about the money for the government. They dont care about minorities (who will lose their businesses), or about youth (who will become addicted), they only care about the money they will potentially make to line their pockets with. Thanks for confirming.

You are over simplifying why legalizing marijuana is positive.

It eliminates a source of income for criminals and terrorists.

It provides money for government for necessary services. Why is this worse than high taxes on alcohol and cigarettes. Pot is no worse than alcohol.

It arguably prevents people from moving on to harder drugs since the hypocrisy is eliminated and people don’t need to go to dealers who push other drugs.

It prevents large numbers of people from being arrested and jailed for a victimless crime. They don’t have records so they aren’t hampered later on in terms of jobs. It also frees up police resources to be used for more urgent matters. Jailing and providing trials etc is expensive and a waste of money.

It also has been shown to have been disproportionately impacting people of color. White middle class users were not arrested and if they were arrested generally suffered no consequences.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 12:50 pm
monkeymamma wrote:

What businesses will minorities lose because of the legalization of marijuana? The business of dealing illegally?

Marijuana addiction does occur, but its very rare. Moreover, as the NY law only legalizes use over the age of 21, I'm not sure what "youth" you're referring to.

Over half of all Americans have smoked weed at some time in their lives, and of those, nearly half still do so. There is little enforcement, and the enforcement that exists is selective. Bernie Sanders has partaken. But so has Rick Santorum. And Sarah Palin. And Jeb Bush. Rep. David Joyce (R-OH), a co-chair of the Congressional Cannabis Caucus (CCC), pointed out in a letter to Biden requesting the Biden reverse a policy of firing staffers who admit to use of marijuana that numerous states have moved to legalize marijuana in some form, overturning “decades-long policies that are both arcane and discriminatory.” He added that “when used correctly and responsibly, cannabis has many proven health benefits.”

Its long since time to legalize and regulate weed.

(FTR, I am among the minority of Americans who has never used weed. Then again, I don't drink, and don't understand the attraction.)

number

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 1:03 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
MD rx. There was a list of Dx and only certain MDs had the ability to prescribe. Furthermore, was only available though certain pharmacies.
In New Jersey there were very few places to get medical marijuana. This will help with access.

number

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 1:05 pm
Amarante wrote:
You are over simplifying why legalizing marijuana is positive.

It eliminates a source of income for criminals and terrorists.

It provides money for government for necessary services. Why is this worse than high taxes on alcohol and cigarettes. Pot is no worse than alcohol.

It arguably prevents people from moving on to harder drugs since the hypocrisy is eliminated and people don’t need to go to dealers who push other drugs.

It prevents large numbers of people from being arrested and jailed for a victimless crime. They don’t have records so they aren’t hampered later on in terms of jobs. It also frees up police resources to be used for more urgent matters. Jailing and providing trials etc is expensive and a waste of money.

It also has been shown to have been disproportionately impacting people of color. White middle class users were not arrested and if they were arrested generally suffered no consequences.

This. Having a huge number of people locked up for enjoying a plant is absurd. Marijuana is not a hard drug and people need to stop acting like it is. Liquor is arguably more dangerous than marijuana, but the prohibition was a failure and so are the current outdated laws.

cnc

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 1:11 pm
monkeymamma wrote:

Time will tell, but personally I don’t think too much will change. The customers will continue using their current (illegal) suppliers. And I don’t think they’ll get more business based on the fact that it’s legal.

I can’t imagine anyone I know that never used marijuana before saying .... “great , now it’s legal so let me try it”.

itsmeima

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 1:17 pm
cnc wrote:
Time will tell, but personally I don’t think too much will change. The customers will continue using their current (illegal) suppliers. And I don’t think they’ll get more business based on the fact that it’s legal.

I can’t imagine anyone I know that never used marijuana before saying .... “great , now it’s legal so let me try it”.

Lol, time will tell 😅 The world is a lot bigger than the US - many countries have already legalized marijuana a while ago!

The data is clear!

funkyfrummom

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 2:19 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
It has been legal for the sick all along. My mother’s late DH had cancer and she had a special card that authorized her to pick up medical marijuana for him. I don’t know how he used it. It looked like a type of herb in a bag. But they were doing it 100% legally.

NY is very specific in that medical marijuana (unlike in other states) not be smokable. When medical marijuana was first introduced in NY, they made a big point of stating that they couldn't discourage smoking in general, and then legalize medical marijuana in smokable form. NY's medical marijuana was available as an oil/extract that is inhaled through a vape pen/device, and it was/is also available in pill form. "Herb in a bag" was never a form of legal medical marijuana in NY, unless the law changed in the last year or so. The poster's mother's DH was perhaps in another jurisdiction.

I am familiar the medical marijuana laws because as a special education teacher I have worked with several families whose children greatly benefited from marijuana use. For example, as a control for seizures. And NY's medical marijuana card was available for children. The cost of medical marijuana in NY has been extremely inflated. One reason given, in addition to there being tight control of dispensaries, was that the extract/oil is concentrated and therefore expensive just to produce (and only so many producers were allowed by NY, so it didn't become competitive in a way that would lower the price.) In the case of those families that I worked for, yes--they had the official card, but they often just would buy the herb from illicit sources in order that the price not be so ridiculous. Even though medical marijuana was legal in NY, it is not legal federally and therefore insurance doesn't cover it like other medications.

It was basically a very messed up system.

funkyfrummom

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 2:27 pm
ally wrote:
Everyone qualified. The medical card was a joke.

From the NYS website, the Dx that qualified are/were:

1. What conditions make me eligible to get medical marijuana?
You may be eligible for medical marijuana if you have been diagnosed with one or more of the following severe debilitating or life threatening conditions: cancer, HIV infection or AIDS, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury with spasticity, epilepsy, inflammatory bowel disease, neuropathy, Huntington's disease, post-traumatic stress disorder, chronic pain (as defined by 10 NYCRR §1004.2(a)(8)(xi)), pain that degrades health and functional capability as an alternative to opioid use or substance use disorder. The severe debilitating or life-threatening condition must also be accompanied by one or more of the following associated or complicating conditions: cachexia or wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures, or severe or persistent muscle spasms, PTSD or opioid use disorder.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 2:58 pm
FWIW, in California it is less expensive to purchase medical marijuana because it isn't taxed as high as weed sold for recreational use.

They are both sold in the same dispensaries so the only difference is the different tax if you show a valid prescription - I.e. medical identification.

number

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 3:29 pm
funkyfrummom wrote:
NY is very specific in that medical marijuana (unlike in other states) not be smokable. When medical marijuana was first introduced in NY, they made a big point of stating that they couldn't discourage smoking in general, and then legalize medical marijuana in smokable form. NY's medical marijuana was available as an oil/extract that is inhaled through a vape pen/device, and it was/is also available in pill form. "Herb in a bag" was never a form of legal medical marijuana in NY, unless the law changed in the last year or so. The poster's mother's DH was perhaps in another jurisdiction.

I am familiar the medical marijuana laws because as a special education teacher I have worked with several families whose children greatly benefited from marijuana use. For example, as a control for seizures. And NY's medical marijuana card was available for children. The cost of medical marijuana in NY has been extremely inflated. One reason given, in addition to there being tight control of dispensaries, was that the extract/oil is concentrated and therefore expensive just to produce (and only so many producers were allowed by NY, so it didn't become competitive in a way that would lower the price.) In the case of those families that I worked for, yes--they had the official card, but they often just would buy the herb from illicit sources in order that the price not be so ridiculous. Even though medical marijuana was legal in NY, it is not legal federally and therefore insurance doesn't cover it like other medications.

It was basically a very messed up system.

But it’s still not legal under federal law. I’m curious how this will all shake out.

miami85

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:05 pm
You mean it was illegal before? I mean I used to smell it ALL the time in NY, and since bail reform people got out for misdemeanors anyway. So who cares that they legalized it?

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:19 pm
miami85 wrote:
You mean it was illegal before? I mean I used to smell it ALL the time in NY, and since bail reform people got out for misdemeanors anyway. So who cares that they legalized it?

This actually makes the legalization much more important, as it reduces the discrepancy between the law and law enforcement.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics