Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Getting the covid vaccine
Previous  1  2

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:08 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
If you’re going to take the time to elaborate on the con list by adding your own thoughts, then take the time to actually add pros to the pro list.

I did not elaborate at all to her con list. Go check.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:19 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
The vaccine is NOT FDA approved. It was just approved for an EUA (emergency use authorization) an EUA just means they "approved" this because theres nothing else available. I think its ridiculous that theyre pushing like crazy for everyone to take it when it didnt go through proper testing.

If a worldwide pandemic that has already killed over 2 MILLION people, and left untold more millions of people with long term, permanent health issues is not considered "an emergency", the what on earth does?

The FDA is not the authority for the entire planet, only the United States. The World Health Organization is the global authority. Other countries exist, you know. If the citizens of other countries want the vaccines, that's their choice, not the FDA's, and it's not a conspiracy.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:28 am
If you aren’t allowed to travel if you haven’t been vaccinated will you get it then?

If yes, then be selfless and get it now as well. You will protect others by doing so- people who for medical reasons are unable to be vaccinated. They require everyone who is able to be, to get vaccinated in order to keep them safe. That’s another pro to add to your list.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 7:31 pm
I'm 43 and healthy, never had covid. Just signed up to get the Pfizer vaccine. Can't wait. I'm doing it to protect myself and my family.
Possible long term effects of covid are much scarier to me.
Do you feel better now that a random imamother shared this with you?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 7:41 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
One popular blogger is posting stories on Instagram today after taking a long leave.
She received 2 doses already but was terribly sick with Covid the last few weeks.
But this won’t make the news....

So either the vaccine has more problems than we want to believe, or the Covid tests are inaccurately giving positives, which should raise a huge question about the real number of positives.

Which one?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 7:48 pm
I'm 40 and my only risk factor is my weight. I got the vaccine as soon as I was eligible because I am scared to get covid-19. I've heard far too many horror stories of people my age getting really sick and having long-term issues and a few even dying. Also, because all the adults in my extended family are now vaccinated we are able to finally get together in each other's homes and don't have to stick to backyard visits anymore.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 7:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm very conflicted about whether to get the vaccine or not. I'm in my 40's. This is basically what I'm thinking.

Reason to get the vaccine:

I'd imagine it would be pretty uncomfortable to get covid. There's no way to really predict how bad it would be but I would definitely be scared if I tested positive.

Reason to not get the vaccine:

At this point 3 million people per day are getting vaccinated. It's probably a matter of weeks until covid is mostly gone. I think the vaccine is probably safe, but there's also no question that there was no long term study done on the vaccine. If I'd have asked anyone 2 years ago whether they would take a vaccine that didn't have a long term study, most people would say no. In fact, it would be considered unsafe to bring a vaccine to market that was lacking a long term study. The CDC and the FDA would be the first to acknowledge this. So how can anyone be certain of the long term effects of the covid vaccine? It seems impossible.

I am in my late 20s and my parents are both doctors and they both are against me getting the vaccine. They think the risk benefit calculation doesn't make sense for something my age. My mother specifically thinks that until they won't let me do something (fly, go into the mall) that I should hold off as long as possible.

I ended up signing up to get the J&J vaccine. I am not comfortable with the risk of the mRNA, it is just too uncertain and the technology hasn't been around long enough to understand the long-term effects. The J&J is an adenovirus vaccine, which is the technology used to make a lot of vaccines that have been tested for years. Maybe getting the J&J instead of Pfizer and Moderna would make you feel better? Personally, I plan to only give my kids an adenovirus vaccine when they become available for young children. I am not comfortable giving them something that may have long-term side effects.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 8:21 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Pfizer is seeing strong immunity at 6 months after the second dose in study participants.

https://www.thenewstribune.com......html

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:05 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I am in my late 20s and my parents are both doctors and they both are against me getting the vaccine. They think the risk benefit calculation doesn't make sense for something my age. My mother specifically thinks that until they won't let me do something (fly, go into the mall) that I should hold off as long as possible.

I ended up signing up to get the J&J vaccine. I am not comfortable with the risk of the mRNA, it is just too uncertain and the technology hasn't been around long enough to understand the long-term effects. The J&J is an adenovirus vaccine, which is the technology used to make a lot of vaccines that have been tested for years. Maybe getting the J&J instead of Pfizer and Moderna would make you feel better? Personally, I plan to only give my kids an adenovirus vaccine when they become available for young children. I am not comfortable giving them something that may have long-term side effects.

I live in nyc queens...im unsure about taking the vacine but im sure my work will not allow me to return without it soon so I was thinking of taking the j and j vaccine

but, where is it available? I heard j and j is only being used for the home bound now, do you know how I can get it?(im over 30)

or, do doctors order it for their healthy 32 yr old patientz? how do I get it? I see appointments for mostly moderna!

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:22 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I live in nyc queens...im unsure about taking the vacine but im sure my work will not allow me to return without it soon so I was thinking of taking the j and j vaccine

but, where is it available? I heard j and j is only being used for the home bound now, do you know how I can get it?(im over 30)

or, do doctors order it for their healthy 32 yr old patientz? how do I get it? I see appointments for mostly moderna!

I made a J&J in NJ. They are available just less so than the others so far. Today acme had a bunch of appointments so you can try that tomorrow. Apparently NJ is getting a bunch of J&J next week so should be easier to get an appt.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:36 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I made a J&J in NJ. They are available just less so than the others so far. Today acme had a bunch of appointments so you can try that tomorrow. Apparently NJ is getting a bunch of J&J next week so should be easier to get an appt.

thanks for responding.

DrMom

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 12:05 am
southernbubby wrote:
Pfizer is seeing strong immunity at 6 months after the second dose in study participants.

Can you please post a link?

I just read an article claiming that some of the earliest groups to get vaccinated in Israel (Sheba Medical center workers), are showing a drop in antibody levels after 3 months. This doesn't necessarily mean they are not immune, but it is worrisome.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news.....study

sequoia

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:18 am
My mom got the JnJ vaccine in Chicago. She specifically chose it.

I wish we had a vaccine — ANY vaccine — in Ukraine. Even Sputnik.

ora_43

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:43 am
IMO it doesn't make sense to compare the vaccine to nothing at all. Compare the risks of the vaccine to the risk of covid. Covid is known to be far more fatal, to have serious side effects even in young people, to be particularly dangerous to pregnant women, to cause long-term effects in up to a third of people.

Is the vaccine perfect? No. Going and getting it is a hassle, shots are unpleasant, and it triggers an immune response that can include exhaustion, aches, and fever. Not fun. If covid didn't exist, it definitely wouldn't be worth it.

But covid does exist, and it's better than covid. IMO that's all it needs to be - better than covid.

There's also the general good-for-society argument. Here in Israel, the transmission rate is at 0.61 even now, in the week of Pesach (and Xtian and Muslim holidays as well), with everyone out having family gatherings, touring, etc. Because people are vaccinated. Even if immunity wears off after a few months (and here's hoping it doesn't), that's still months of getting the number of sick down to manageable levels, months of more-or-less normal life, months more for researchers to find a cure.

Be a part of the solution, not part of the problem.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 3:55 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/coronavirus/article250326486.html

"Both of the two patients who died were over 80 years old and had underlying health issues, DOH said.

Read more here: https://www.thenewstribune.com.....quot;
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics