Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Did you end up happy or disappointed after your outing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:56 pm
For us it has not work out as wanted . How was for you?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:01 pm
We planned a quiet Chol HaMoed. After in year in and out of lockdown, local amusements and spending time with other people is rather a novelty. We had a hike onee day, with the normal range of arguments, but overall a good day.

We weren't looking for thrills, but it was a good week.

Just One

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:08 pm
Nice time overall bh. Went to the zoo and many of the interactive exhibits were closed due to covid but we had some great family time and the rain that was forcasted held up until we were on our way home. After last year's Pesach this year's is pure bliss

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:11 pm
Stayed home and chilled all days! Was great!

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:14 pm
Stayed on a kibbutz in the Golan for a few days and did lots of hiking in beautiful E"Y.

Our cabin had some design flaws, but overall, we had a lovely time.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:28 pm
OP, I'm sorry that you had a miserable week, and it probably isn't making you feel better that other people are saying that they had a great time. I'm sure there are others whose plans turned into a mess for one reason or another.

I hope you have a great time the last few days of Yom Tov to make up for it.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:23 pm
Our Tuesday trip was unexpectedly fun. Wednesday we did nothing. Today we went bowling, which I do not like. But I got a strike.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:50 am
I live in kinda what could be called a "tourist town" in Israel. Corona restrictions have been waaaay relaxed lately (no limit on family gatherings, can go to any city you want, malls open, masks not enforced outdoors). So even though it would be allowed to leave my city we didn't and I had a great time!

Just walking around then enter of town, there were some minor attractions (jugglers, public karaoke, that sort of thing) going.

Very low key, very inexpensive, but I had a great time.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 3:08 am
I enjoy whatever we do as a family. Doesn't need to be much. Sometimes it is a local hike, sometimes it is more elaborate. We camp a lot. Once in a while go to a tzimmer.
Yes, I was very happy with our plans this Pesach. We got lost on a long hike, had mediocre food, my husband was his usual crab.
But I had a blast and the kids were happy. So was my dh. He always says he had a great time let's do this again soon - on the way home.

DVOM

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 3:30 am
Chol hamoed trips went exactly as expected: hard work for mommy with lots of packing and prepping, some crankiness from kids off their schedule, some extended family politics about where to go and how much to spend, but overall a really wonderful time.

I've adjusted my expectations over the years, which has really helped me enjoy these crazy chol hamoed weeks. We're generally with family all chol hamoed. The kids stay up too late, eat too much sugar, have a bit too much socialization and stimulation. There's usually a kid who isn't happy with the trips we've chosen. It's hard work, getting overtired hyper kids back and forth from outings. Feeding everyone gets difficult. I don't expect this to be a relaxing week for me, but we do make some beautiful memories.

My vacation will come on Tuesday when everyone goes back to school!

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 3:35 am
Where I live the government just announced lockdown easing, which meant certain outdoor attractions were allowed to open this week. Of the specific places allowed to be open many were taking bookings only, and they were mostly all booked within a day so we missed out on those places. So we ended up on trips where you could just turn up. It seems like everyone and his brother also wanted to enjoy the outdoors again, first day we went to a park, spent nearly half hour looking for parking. Other 2 days we went to local low key attractions, both places had nearly 2 hour queues, for 1 half hour- hour activity. We stayed because there was really nothing else to do. Bh the kids were fine with that the queue just became part of the outing, and it kept us out the house for longer!

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 4:10 am
Yes- took the kids to get afikomen gifts and they had a blast playing with them , then went to my parents for dinner.

happy12

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 7:53 am
Elfrida wrote:
OP, I'm sorry that you had a miserable week, and it probably isn't making you feel better that other people are saying that they had a great time. I'm sure there are others whose plans turned into a mess for one reason or another.

I hope you have a great time the last few days of Yom Tov to make up for it.

OP did not say she had a miserable time just that plans did not work out. I hope she still enjoyed her yom tov.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:02 am
happy12 wrote:
OP did not say she had a miserable time just that plans did not work out. I hope she still enjoyed her yom tov.

Disappointment was that after traveling 8 hours to stay with my teens , (which we never did before) the weather was rainy pouring . We couldn't go anywhere. We arrived to wrong hotel so we had to switch hotels which took another 4 hours to get there . So all we did was just traveling and having car ride . Dh was exhausted from driving so all he wanted was sleep when he didn't have to drive , the weather was so poor, muddy , and wet . It didn't give the mood to do anything. We were mostly spending in hotel or in the car. It stinks that we had to travel for 8 hours doing nothing. I'm still crying. Before we went the weather did not show rain .. we arrived to wrong place where it rained and when we arrived to the 2nd hotel was already at night everyone was falling apart . Next day was pouring very much and we went home. Traveled 6 hours on way home. I felt terrible for my kids . We did have fun and made best out of it while there in the hotel. But it's upsetting to think how much we had Traveled and ended up doing nothing(

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:08 am
We rented a home in a place with hot weather and a pool! The pool’s been enough to keep us entertained, but we did venture out to explore.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Disappointment was that after traveling 8 hours to stay with my teens , (which we never did before) the weather was rainy pouring . We couldn't go anywhere. We arrived to wrong hotel so we had to switch hotels which took another 4 hours to get there . So all we did was just traveling and having car ride . Dh was exhausted from driving so all he wanted was sleep when he didn't have to drive , the weather was so poor, muddy , and wet . It didn't give the mood to do anything. We were mostly spending in hotel or in the car. It stinks that we had to travel for 8 hours doing nothing. I'm still crying. Before we went the weather did not show rain .. we arrived to wrong place where it rained and when we arrived to the 2nd hotel was already at night everyone was falling apart . Next day was pouring very much and we went home. Traveled 6 hours on way home. I felt terrible for my kids . We did have fun and made best out of it while there in the hotel. But it's upsetting to think how much we had Traveled and ended up doing nothing(

That is a whole lot of traveling! Ouch! Feel bad for you and your family!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:17 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
We rented a home in a place with hot weather and a pool! The pool’s been enough to keep us entertained, but we did venture out to explore.

I'm happy for you that you were able to enjoy a hot weather . we were stuck up with nasty winds , and rain.

bnm

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:38 am
That sounds super disappointing OP. We had a pretty good Chol Hamoed after not being able to go anywhere the last 2 due to lockdown and our family actually getting Covid over Yom Tov. We did one major thing, 1 day for afkikomen buying, 1 group activity where 1 kid cried till halfway thru then enjoyed so much and 1 kid who enjoyed the first part then pouted the rest.... today was supposed to be a beach day but I don't think the weather is cooperating. I was chill about snacks and food, 'you want chocolate? here.....' I didn't majorly enforce bedtime.... nice and relaxed. Kids actually slept past 8 am.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:46 am
We had a great outing one day . I had to work all the other days and my DH stayed home with the kids. So I’m happy that the day I took off was the day with the best weather and all the kids ages 20 down to age 2 were content and appreciated our family outing that day.
But in the past I always hated Chol Hamoed trips and DH would take the kids on his own while I stayed home and chilled. This year we switched it up a bit because I had to work.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:54 am
That sounds awful, op! So sorry!!

I put my foot down a few years ago and said no driving more than 1.5 hours for a chol hamoed trip. It limits your options but makes for a way better experience!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics