Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
My yapchik is turning brown... help?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:36 pm
It’s in the oven and I keep checking on it. It’s gonna cook for another 12 hrs till it’s “done” and it’s kinda greasy looking and is turning brown. Like the potatoes and the meat have all taken on the same color. Help? What did I do wrong? I can probably start a new one to have for tomorrow. Crying

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:38 pm
Did you put onions in the kugel part? I bet it will be delicious regardless. Probably just top part Browning (exposed potatoes)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:41 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
Did you put onions in the kugel part? I bet it will be delicious regardless. Probably just top part Browning (exposed potatoes)

Yes, I added onions. But the shredded potatoes started turning pinkish before I even got them mixed in with everything. Now it’s not brown like how meat browns in the oven, it’s like a one color slop in a Dutch oven (think: oatmeal). You’re giving me hope that it won’t be terrible. Probably very greasy but not terrible

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:46 pm
You can't go wrong with yupchick

Frumme

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:49 pm
If it's overnight kugel/yapchik, it's normal for it to turn dark brown. It'll be delicious. Think about how cholent eggs turn brown after cooking for 18 hrs. Don't worry about it

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 11:49 pm
Sounds like it's behaving like a yapchik should. Yum!

always.happy

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 12:54 am
I add hot water to batter helps it not turn brown.

my recipe is
8 eggs mix with 1 cup oil, 1 T salt and pepper
8-9 Idaho potatoes
1 cup hot water
1 cup seltzer

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:02 am
always.happy wrote:

my recipe is
8-9 Idaho potatoes
1 cup hot water
1 cup seltzer

This sounds good! I found the recipe online and I think that 1. It needs more seasoning and 2. The potatoes are gonna be mush after baking so long

Frumme

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This sounds good! I found the recipe online and I think that 1. It needs more seasoning and 2. The potatoes are gonna be mush after baking so long

The potatoes are supposed to become mush after baking so long! They get nice and creamy. Shredding potatoes helps them keep their shape a little better though if that's what you'd like

Fave

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 9:03 am
After the first 2 hours of baking, you need to cook it covered at a low temp.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 9:23 am
always.happy wrote:

my recipe is
8-9 Idaho potatoes
1 cup hot water
1 cup seltzer

Great recipe for kugel but a lot of people leave out most if not all of the oil when making a yapchik, so I assume they'd reduce the liquids accordingly.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 11:48 am
always.happy wrote:

my recipe is
8-9 Idaho potatoes
1 cup hot water
1 cup seltzer

If I don’t have a grated or food processor for Pesach can I just cut the potatoes small?

always.happy

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 11:55 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
If I don’t have a grated or food processor for Pesach can I just cut the potatoes small?

never tried with small cut potatoes, maybe try hand grater. I used to use it when making small kugel.

always.happy

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 11:59 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Great recipe for kugel but a lot of people leave out most if not all of the oil when making a yapchik, so I assume they'd reduce the liquids accordingly.

My orig potato kugel recipe also includes 1 cup seltzer, helps keep kugel fluffy.
I omit seltzer when making yapchick as found it to be too much liquid. I also oil pan before putting in to get a good crust all around. yapchick I make it in crock pot and let cook overnight.

Frumme

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 12:00 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

You might have better luck layering thin slices of potato Smile but I'm sure either way will be delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen