Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach items you save for next year
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 12:51 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I store sealed cans of cocoa and cottonseed oil.
Make sure to write down what you are saving.
Also, I save the havdala candle and besamim because I somehow always forg3wt to buy a new one.

I have a special havdalah candle and besamim on my for pesach. Also bought a new simple havdalah set this year for Pesach.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 1:12 pm
moonstone wrote:
Yeah, I don't understand the mentality of keeping food from year to year. Totally not worth the savings of a few dollars to store that stuff, even if it doesn't go bad (which it might). I have no desire to use year-old food. Just use it throughout the year and buy new for Pesach.

I don't know how things are in America but even in bnei berak with an abundance of Mehadrin hechsherim and supermarkets things get sold out. Last pesach I wanted nutmeg, allspice and bay leaf. Simply sold out. If there's a bargain sale on nuts you bet the shelves are empty if you don't hurry.
I avoid buying a certain tea brand. Last year I saved some herbal tea because its very difficult to find kosher for peach herbal tea and that brand is outrageously expensive.
Someone mentioned spices and sugar 3 times more expensive.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 1:48 pm
I'll save anything dry which will not go past the expiry date by next Pesach, if it's something I won't use during the year. Generally, if it's something I'll use during the year, I'll just keep it out and use it. But things like ground nuts or potato starch, if unopened and won't expire, I'll save for next year.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 3:14 pm
Matzah if in plastic in the box.

Reality

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 3:32 pm
paperflowers wrote:
Because I don’t finish it throughout the year, end up getting a new one the next pesach and not finishing that either. I don’t bake a ton so certain ingredients last me a long time. I haven’t saved in the past, but I have too many jars of cinnamon and bottles of vanilla extract so I think I will save them this year. Things like sugar I wouldn’t save because I’ll go through more than a bag in a year.

I do have to nod along with you about the containers of cinnamon and cinnamon sticks! But I still buy new every year!

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 10:10 pm
moonstone wrote:
Yeah, I don't understand the mentality of keeping food from year to year. Totally not worth the savings of a few dollars to store that stuff, even if it doesn't go bad (which it might). I have no desire to use year-old food. Just use it throughout the year and buy new for Pesach.

Reason 1) I don’t use the things I save during the year. Such as ground nuts or potato starch.
2) these things are expensive so if I have saved from last year it saves me money this year. Yes even $3/4 it all adds up.
3) some things I don’t use a lot of so if it’s something that can last then why buy a whole new one for next pesach and then throw it out. Again, see 1&2.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 1:15 am
Crazy story about saving old cans:

When we moved into our apartment the previous tenants offered us an absolutely huge can of apple sauce that they didn't want to pack with them.

Well, that can must have sat with them for longer than it sat with us... who knows how long - maybe the tenants before them passed it along 15 years earlier.

One day I was walking past the closed pantry, when I suddenly heard a bang and felt something land on my leg. After looking all over I opened the pantry and beheld the horrific sight of apple sauce (probably laced in botulinum I dont want to see ) dripping from every surface. It was such strong explosion that the sauce had flown through the crack in the door and landed on my skirt!!!

I went a bit bananas because I was pregnant - I called poison control and they told me to keep out of the way and have my husband put on a mask and douse everything in bleach.
Well in those pre covid days people didn't just have random masks lying around, so he wrapped undershirts and underwear around his mouth and got to work. It was quite a sight Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Moral of the story:
Watch out with old cans especially those of dubious origin!

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 2:46 am
I save the "specialty" spices - expensive to buy a variety and won't use up over the year, (for this non gourmet chef they are plenty strong). I also save unopened potato starch, matzah meal, oil, and vanilla. I have a special pesach havdala candle I save.

I actually purposely make sure to have an extra unopened oil, vanilla, and potato starch to save for the next year. There have been years that I wanted to get a head start on kugel or cakes and couldn't because of pesach oil was not in the stores yet! Vanilla I purposely save bacause of the couple of years I forgot it on my first shopping trip and had to delay baking (the opened vanilla is made chometz)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 7:35 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I save the "specialty" spices - expensive to buy a variety and won't use up over the year, (for this non gourmet chef they are plenty strong). I also save unopened potato starch, matzah meal, oil, and vanilla. I have a special pesach havdala candle I save.

I actually purposely make sure to have an extra unopened oil, vanilla, and potato starch to save for the next year. There have been years that I wanted to get a head start on kugel or cakes and couldn't because of pesach oil was not in the stores yet! Vanilla I purposely save bacause of the couple of years I forgot it on my first shopping trip and had to delay baking (the opened vanilla is made chometz)

Love your post , practical tips we all need Smile

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:33 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

Does your store not sell these products year round?
In the past I have stored unopened items for this reason until I realized that I can get (most) kosher lpesach items year round and I stopped

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:50 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Does your store not sell these products year round?
In the past I have stored unopened items for this reason until I realized that I can get (most) kosher lpesach items year round and I stopped

In Israel items stamped kosher for pesach come out just after purim. After the chag you might be lucky to find some remaining items for a short while and that's it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 9:03 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
In Israel items stamped kosher for pesach come out just after purim. After the chag you might be lucky to find some remaining items for a short while and that's it.

Oh wow! That’s so interesting
Thanks for explaining

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 9:29 am
Potato starch, coconut flour, probably almond flour, coconut sugar, salt, spices (but mine were a bit tired this year so it may be time for new ones), balsamic vinegar, chocolate chips. All in the fridge or freezer.

Geulanow

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 9:54 am
Heavy duty foil - to cover the stove, etc.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 9:59 am
Geulanow wrote:
Heavy duty foil - to cover the stove, etc.

YES!!! Especially when I find the extra heavy duty. And "plastic corduroy " for the counters.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 10:58 am
How do you keep matza? It’s basically crackers and the package is not sealed like a jar that had been pasteurized. I would never eat food that was a year old unless it is sealed and pasteurized or it’s salt

agreer

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 3:04 pm
I took my mom's saved brown sugar from last year - it was ROCK HARD and I couldn't even cut it.

HOWEVER, last year my mom took down her saved stuff - spices, candles, napkins, contact paper, tea, etc and she was SO GLAD she had the stuff (dunno if y'all remember, there was a pandemic going on and she couldn't get stuff quickly)

Elfrida

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 10:52 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
How do you keep matza? It’s basically crackers and the package is not sealed like a jar that had been pasteurized. I would never eat food that was a year old unless it is sealed and pasteurized or it’s salt

The matza I buy (machine, not hand shmura) comes sealed into a plastic 'sleeve'. We get 1 kilo boxes, and each half kilo is sealed separately. Any sleeve that isn't opened gets saved for the next year. I've never had a problem with it.

Sometimes we grind it into matza meal if it seems as though it has gone stale.

I'm proud to announce that I actually made a list this year of what I put away. To be fair, I normally do, but last year was such a difficult Pesach that I didn't. Then this year when I was shopping I had no idea what I already had. I wasted some money, but I suppose it'll all get used eventually.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 10:29 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Crazy story about saving old cans:

When we moved into our apartment the previous tenants offered us an absolutely huge can of apple sauce that they didn't want to pack with them.

Well, that can must have sat with them for longer than it sat with us... who knows how long - maybe the tenants before them passed it along 15 years earlier.

One day I was walking past the closed pantry, when I suddenly heard a bang and felt something land on my leg. After looking all over I opened the pantry and beheld the horrific sight of apple sauce (probably laced in botulinum I dont want to see ) dripping from every surface. It was such strong explosion that the sauce had flown through the crack in the door and landed on my skirt!!!

I went a bit bananas because I was pregnant - I called poison control and they told me to keep out of the way and have my husband put on a mask and douse everything in bleach.
Well in those pre covid days people didn't just have random masks lying around, so he wrapped undershirts and underwear around his mouth and got to work. It was quite a sight Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Moral of the story:
Watch out with old cans especially those of dubious origin!

Your story made me laugh!

That reminds me of a pesach mayonnaise story! One year we bought what was on sale instead of what we knew was good (there aren't a lot of options with KLP) and one day the mayonnaise just kind of exploded. I had an oily slippery mess coming down the jar and shelf!

Judy

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 11:21 pm
What do you all do with the pesach items you can’t or don’t want to save?

Bh someone started a new initiative a gluten free gmach - where people that have no use for Kosher L’Pesach items can drop off and ppl that are celiac or gluten free can come pick up - these otherwise quite expensive items.

There is a list of 38 drop off places in USA
please note: we only accept unopened, Gluten free products. No gebrokts!
If you have items that need to be refrigerated, pls make sure the volunteer knows about it.
Tizka lmitzvos!

For the full list of locations and any other info
Please contact:
Glutenfreegmach@gmail.com
Or text: 845-232-1276
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics