Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Attn amothers who use nothing on pesach
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:39 am
Let's list our favorite recipes. I'll go first.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Nothing.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:43 am
The amiliving had a recipe for sugared almonds that sounded really good

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:50 am
We dont use sugar.. I clicked on this hoping for some amazing inspiration.. alas!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:13 am
Minute steak cooked in a pot with onions and beets.
French fries
Potato blintzes
Apple and pear compote
Potato latkes

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:29 am
I'm a Level 4 Vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:50 pm
Sorry you were so hungry...

Here are the produce we use & we were not hungry at all

Carrots
Onions
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Beets
Knob celery
Parsnip
Apples
Oranges
Pears
Lemons
Grapefruit
Eggs
Chicken
Turkey
Matzah Smile
Almonds
Walnuts
Filberts
Sugar
Salt

My parents don’t use the above from that list

Sweet potatoes
Walnuts
Lemons
Sugar
Knob celery
Parsnip
Turkey
Pears
But do use carp (bought live)

We are well fed and get creative with these ingredients with different sides and mains

ETA we eat bananas and shmaltz

farmom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:54 pm
We had delicious food over yom tov. Just a patchke.

Nothing is hard to define because everyone has different definitions. We use all peelable.fruits and vegetables, and no processed things except for sugar, salt, evoo and ground nuts

Highlights were pulled brisket with bbq sauce and lemon meringue pie

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:55 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

What’s 1,2, and 3? And is there a 5?

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:56 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Sorry you were so hungry...

Here are the produce we use & we were not hungry at all

Carrots
Onions
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Beets
Knob celery
Parsnip
Apples
Oranges
Pears
Lemons
Grapefruit
Eggs
Chicken
Turkey
Matzah Smile
Almonds
Walnuts
Filberts
Sugar
Salt

My parents don’t use the above from that list

Sweet potatoes
Walnuts
Lemons
Sugar
Knob celery
Parsnip
Turkey
Pears
But do use carp (bought live)

We are well fed and get creative with these ingredients with different sides and mains

Asking with complete respect, why?
Why do you eat apples but not grapes? I imagine you use wine.
Why don’t you use cucumbers or bell peppers?
Do you not eat peaches or are they just not in season?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:04 pm
farmom wrote:
We had delicious food over yom tov. Just a patchke.

Nothing is hard to define because everyone has different definitions. We use all peelable.fruits and vegetables, and no processed things except for sugar, salt, evoo and ground nuts

Highlights were pulled brisket with bbq sauce and lemon meringue pie

What's the recipe for bbq sauce?
And I'd love the recipe for lemon meringue pie!

happy chick

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:05 pm
The list can be longer or shorter. The point is, there is no starch (no, potatoes are not starch). All the fish, meat, eggs, fruits and veggies in the world (whichever way you slice it or dice it) won't keep you full fo more than 30 seconds. And each thing takes 45 min to prepare, bet washing, peeling and washing again.
I'm just glad pesach is only 8 days and this is not a diet we have to stick to all year.

farmom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:15 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
What's the recipe for bbq sauce?
And I'd love the recipe for lemon meringue pie!

Bbq sauce is not so much a recipe as a list of ingredients. Made by my son and guests, so I really don't know how much was used of eacg
Oj, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, sugar water, salt, 2 hot peppers, tomatoes, wine, gravy from meat.

Cook until reduced by about half.

Lemon meringue pie recipe:
crust: Nut Crust (based on this recipe https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....X5c_g)

1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup ground pecans or walnuts
1/3 cup oil SKIP
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
If dry add more egg

Pre bake at 180/350 for 10-15 minutes, until starting to brown

Lemon curd
6 eggs
⅔ C lemon juice
1 ½ C sugar
(Zest of one lemon, optional, I didn't use that)
In a double boiler, whisk ingredients, keep whisking every few minutes for 15-20 minutes until thick.

Meringue:
6 egg whites
4 Tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt

To make the meringue, in a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch.
In a large mixing bowl with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until foamy.
Then slowly add sugar mixture one tablespoon at a time and continue to beat on medium high speed until hard peaks form. Set aside.

Pour curd onto nuts, and meringue onto (ideally hot, but mine was cold by the time I got to it) curd. Bake until lightly browned on top

tp3

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:18 pm
Our fav recipes:
Dark chicken cutlets covered in homemade tomato sauce and (peeled) chopped jalapeno peppers
Yum! My kids love anything spicy

Homemade tomato sauce: fry onions in schmaltz (I do this first in bulk and add it to different dishes), peel 20 plum tomatoes, scoop out seeds and squeeze out the juice. Cook the tomatoes down into a paste. Blend it with an immersion blender, cook it again so it can thicken a bit. Add fried onions, fresh lemon juice and sugar water, and salt, to taste.

Salmon: squeeze one lemon and one juice orange over the salmon. Sprinkle salt. Add chopped fresh onion.

Ratatouille: Dice 2 peeled eggplants, a peeled zucchini, 2 peeled red and green peppers, and 2 peeled tomatoes. Put in a large deep oven dish and cover tightly. Bake at 375 till soft. Add some homemade tomato sauce and salt. Don't eat this with fish because the sauce is fleishig from the onions fried in schmaltz.

Eggplant salad dip without sauce: same as above but skip the tomatoes and the tomato sauce. Add fresh chopped onion. Season liberally with lemon juice and salt. This is yum with fish, on a lettuce salad, and on matzah on the last day.

Light potato kugel: 2 zucchini + 3 potatoes + 1 onion + 4 eggs + salt. A bit of schmaltz if you like.

Beet soup, highlight of pesach:
10 large beets, shredded
5 carrots, sliced
A pkg of stew meat
Boil in a huge pot in water until the beets lose their color a bit. Add 2 cups lemon juice and 1.5 cups sugar water, and salt to taste.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:19 pm
We are low carb and use only ingredients. We eat very well even without extra products.

Use aromatics including celery carrots, onion garlic and fresh herbs to season. Salt.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:22 pm
I mean I was on a strict keto diet for a while. The only things I ate were meat, chicken, fish, eggs, butter, and salt. And water to drink. That’s it.
It took a week to adjust but after that I felt full and not deprived at all.
But if you feel deprived I’m sure you can be matir neder. Though it’s really just one week.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:22 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

I thought that was Level 5. LOL

farmom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:23 pm
tp3 wrote:
Our fav recipes:
Dark chicken cutlets covered in homemade tomato sauce and (peeled) chopped jalapeno peppers
Yum! My kids love anything spicy

Do you bake the chicken in the sauce?

tp3 wrote:

Homemade tomato sauce: fry onions in schmaltz (I do this first in bulk and add it to different dishes), peel 20 plum tomatoes, scoop out seeds and squeeze out the juice. Cook the tomatoes down into a paste. Blend it with an immersion blender, cook it again so it can thicken a bit. Add fried onions, fresh lemon juice and sugar water, and salt, to taste.

I do this too. Try roasting the tomatoes in the oven instead of cooking in the pot. Takes the flavor up a notch!

farmom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:24 pm
andrea levy wrote:
We are low carb and use only ingredients. We eat very well even without extra products.

Use aromatics including celery carrots, onion garlic and fresh herbs to season. Salt.

We don't use herbs, garlic, or spices on pesach
My kids were so excited to make eggs with lots of herbs and spices for breakfast this morning LOL

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:29 pm
I made almond flour this year, and I thought it made things taste much real-er.

Cooked almonds for 10 minutes, let them cool, and popped them out of their peel. Then dried them overnight, and blended them in the food processor.

Probably real almond flour is finer, but this was pretty good. Made 123 cookies with them, and for next year I'm planning on making fruit jam and having sandwich cookies!

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:31 pm
happy chick wrote:
The point is, there is no starch (no, potatoes are not starch). All the fish, meat, eggs, fruits and veggies in the world (whichever way you slice it or dice it) won't keep you full fo more than 30 seconds. And each thing takes 45 min to prepare, bet washing, peeling and washing again.
I'm just glad pesach is only 8 days and this is not a diet we have to stick to all year.

Why are potatoes not a starch? We made so many different dishes out of potatoes and my family was very well fed and happy:

Smashed Potatoes
Hassleback Potatoes
Doughless Potato Knishes
Roasted Potatoes
Honey glazed sweet potatoes
Sweet Potato Pie
Potato Kugel
Yapchik
Potato Blintzes
Crispy Hash Browns with onions
Potato Soup

We also made our own potato starch and used it for lokshin, blintzes, apple kugel and other dishes.

I have a gluten free child who is also on a restricted diet due to GI issues, so for some people this is a diet we have to stick to all year. It's all about the creativity and attitude.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics