Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Can you explain this immunity question?

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:07 pm
I'm specifically not posting in the covid section as this is a general question about immunity. Especially since we don't know anything long term about covid yet. So let this question focus on other illness we know more about.

If after having a certain disease or getting the vaccine (say measles) you develop antibodies to it. After some time, the antibodies begin to wear off. If they wear off enough, you need a booster vaccine, otherwise you won't be immune anymore and catch that illness. Now here's the question I have, while you are still immune and have antibodies, if you come in contact with that virus, will your immune system kick in to fight it without you even getting sick? Then if you were to test your antibodies shortly after the contact, would they have risen again to high levels? So that if they were dropping, getting close to being not immune, but being in contact with the virus can make it go back up again?

If anyone can clarify if I'm making sense or if I am completely mistaken, I'd be very grateful.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:09 pm
I can't speak for all vaccines and diseases, but that definitely is the case with some. Natural exposure can heighten immunity levels without sickness.

amother
White

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:13 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
I'm specifically not posting in the covid section as this is a general question about immunity. Especially since we don't know anything long term about covid yet. So let this question focus on other illness we know more about.

If after having a certain disease or getting the vaccine (say measles) you develop antibodies to it. After some time, the antibodies begin to wear off. If they wear off enough, you need a booster vaccine, otherwise you won't be immune anymore and catch that illness. Now here's the question I have, while you are still immune and have antibodies, if you come in contact with that virus, will your immune system kick in to fight it without you even getting sick? Then if you were to test your antibodies shortly after the contact, would they have risen again to high levels? So that if they were dropping, getting close to being not immune, but being in contact with the virus can make it go back up again?

If anyone can clarify if I'm making sense or if I am completely mistaken, I'd be very grateful.

That should be so. And if a disease is a childhood one, most people would be exposed over and over never loosing immunity. Say you had chicken pox as a 6 year old, then exposed to your 3 year old child, then again as a grandma etc. Most problems arise when it is not so neatly categorized. A disease that is ok in childhood (say covid....) is deadly to a 80 year old. But if said 80 year old were exposed every 20 years they should be fine.

banana123

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:42 pm
Rosemarie wrote:

Yes, that is correct.

If you have antibodies and come in contact with the virus, your antibody levels will rise.

By the way, for some diseases (pertussis, for example, and most coronaviruses) antibody levels - from the vaccine or the disease - drop after a certain amount of time. For others (measles and polio, for example, both natural and vaccine-induced) immunity is lifelong.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:54 pm
My son's covid antibodies have been slowly rising
. though still considered negative... 5...9...11... I am wondering if this means actually immune... And has been exposed a few times...

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:44 pm
Ok. So this is totally as I thought.

I had covid last year. Had pretty solid antibodies for a while. Then it began to slowly drop. And recently it went right back up to where it was in the beginning. So assuming covid-19 is like other viruses, I must have been exposed to it somewhere not long ago. But I wouldn't know where, nobody I was around was actually sick. Anyway, I'm glad I got re-exposed, this way it boosted my immunity with no harm to me.

gande

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:59 pm
There is definitely evidence that antibodies can go back up after second exposure. I have heard talk that what really counts is how the protein spikes to fight when the virus is introduced. They are doing this type of test on people who got the vaccine but don't show antibodies. They should really be doing it on recovered people.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:11 pm
Yes. Igg rises in response to exposure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics