Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Segula for a Pesach kitchen. Vent

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:46 pm
I.Want.A.Pesach.Kitchen. my living room full of boxes still with pesach items that need to be reorganized. It doesn't look like a living room , its a storage room. Every year I'm on the ladder picking the darn boxes above from my kitchen cabinets and every year outing them back. Forget about counter space, I don't have. Years of dreaming for The Pesach Kitchen.
Banging head Banging head At wits end At wits end At wits end
Tell me please there is a Segula that works. Can't take it anymore.
Signature "what aveira have I done to deserve it"

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:52 pm
I get you my friend, I get you! I’ll tell you what worked for me after decades of this frustration. I told DH next year it’s either a pesach kitchen or we go to hotel or buy takeout. Guess which one he chose? Try it. It works!

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:05 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I get you my friend, I get you! I’ll tell you what worked for me after decades of this frustration. I told DH next year it’s either a pesach kitchen or we go to hotel or buy takeout. Guess which one he chose? Try it. It works!

If you can afford the luxury of a whole separate kitchen for 8 days a year, and have the room for it, why on earth do you need to ask your husband, much less threaten him. Hire a contractor and build it.

miami85

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:07 pm
My house has a "canning kitchen"--it has a counter and sink and 2 burners, it allows us to turn over and start cooking earlier because we can eat our chometz there, it's not enough to really "cook" for yom tov, why should I forgo my REAL stove and deal with just 2 burners, and schlep food up and down the stairs. Simple solution would be to buy a storage shed for your chometz stuff outdoors rather than putting them in your living room.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:09 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
If you can afford the luxury of a whole separate kitchen for 8 days a year, and have the room for it, why on earth do you need to ask your husband, much less threaten him. Hire a contractor and build it.
Most people don’t have so much money that they can invest in a Pesach kitchen without getting their husband on board.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:10 pm
Assuming you own your house or apt. you can make a Pesach kitchen happen. I live in a small rental apartment and thus the only way I could have a "Pesach kitchen" would be by emptying out a closet and installing a counter-height shelf, a couple of barrels of water, and a toaster-oven or hot plate via extension cord.

Like you, I play the Pesach Tetris game twice a year--first before Pesach in one direction, and then after Pesach in reverse. It's exhausting, and every year the Pesach stuff seems to take up more and more space. Just when I think everything is packed away, I find that I've forgotten about an entire shelf of pots and pans or a stack of unwashed dishes and food containers in the sink.

I like when the last days don't include Shabbas. Then I put away all the fleishik things and serve only milchik or pareve the last days. This helps, but it's still a lot of work.

I don't care about a Pesach kitchen so much. I'd be happy just to have permanent Pesach cabinets that could hold all the Pesach food prep-and-serving-and-eating utensils and groceries without having to pack them all into boxes, just close off the doors. Kashering is an annual one-and-done while packing and unpacking gets you coming and going.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:14 pm
[quote="miami85"]My house has a "canning kitchen"--it has a counter and sink and 2 burners, it allows us to turn over and start cooking earlier because we can eat our chometz there, it's not enough to really "cook" for yom tov, why should I forgo my REAL stove and deal with just 2 burners, and schlep food up and down the stairs. Simple solution would be to buy a storage shed for your chometz stuff outdoors rather than putting them in your living room.[/qu
ote]
Thanks but I live in an apartment building 3rd floor...

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:20 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

If only life would be that simple....
The bottom line was that when we moved anyway (not because we have no pesach kitchen obviously. Neither because I “threatened”) it was a priority for me to have one. More important than another bedroom or bathroom. I understand everyone has different priorities though. But I do get OP.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:34 pm
If you can spare a small space in an area with plumbing already in the wall (or close) it can be done on the cheap. It doesn't have to be so big or so fancy. My Pesach kitchen is probably about 4x10 but so well planned out I have all the storage and space I need. It opens on the long side with double doors so when in use it doesn't feel claustrophobic.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:15 pm
For many years I had a pesach kitchen in my garage
Very cheaply done,
Wire shelves

https://www.amazon.com/Shelvin.....psc=1

An electric range and oven that I plugged into my dryer plug

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/g.....loc=1

2 folding tables- I used instead of counter tops
And the extra freezer I had anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-1.....r=8-4

I used the regular fridge in the kitchen.
I used the sink in the laundry room
I even put a counter top on top of the washer and dryer to make washing dishes a bit easier

https://www.lowes.com/pd/VT-Di.....aw.ds

This could be done very cheaply
Under $1500
Forgo your next Sheitel

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:48 pm
Read "pesach while you sleep"

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:34 am
My "Pesach Kitchen" consists of a 2-burner toaster oven, where the burners and oven can be used simultaneously(not all models allow this), and 2 3-drawer plastic toy cabinets. Cupboards and appliances are sealed off so there is minimal schlepping and cleaning, we use disposables for most things, buy in some ready-cooked food (although I do the majority of the cooking) and save a fortune on flights and hotels!

To be fair, I am still exhausted LOL

But the thought of packing and unpacking and scrubbing cupboards is overwhelming to me, so this is our compromise. YMMV.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:32 am
We have a pesach kitchen in the garage, not attached to the house. It's still the best thing ever even though we still kasher and cover our regular kitchen and even clean out 1 drawer and 2 cupboards. It's still a ton of work but bh I'm very grateful for it.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:20 am
I totally hear u.

our house is by no means large. we hardly have any luxuries, just regular stuff (eg one bathroom, 4 kids in a medium sized bedroom etc.) - we are very happy though in it, as it is located perfectly and pricewise its great too b''H.
it has a tiny laundry room corner thingy. we rather have our washing mashine in our bathroom ( we dont have an dryer) and we built a cheap simple pessach kitchen corner instead. BEST INVESTMENT EVER saved us tons of money, headaches and shalom bays issues Smile

I very much recommend it
another friend (they have a larger appartment) found a movable kitchen on ikea I think a couple of years ago. again simple, but on wheels. they store it in the garage (we dont have a garage or basement or attic, so for us this wasnt an option).

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:39 am
I also wanted a pesach kitchen because cooking is a big deal for me and I wanted a head start.
The thing that I couldn’t stand was schlepping the pesach boxes, having them all over and then the pain of having to repack them and put them away again. Forget the pesach kitchen. I came up with an easy solution. This year I bought 2 large free standing closets. They are in the hallway next to my kitchen. It holds all my pesach things. It was a pleasure to use it this year. Cleaning up after pesach meant just putting everything away in the closet. The door has a lock so no one can get to it during the year. It was also easier for me not to have to empty a few regular cabinets in the kitchen. If you have any wall/hallway space, I highly recommend buying some closets. It’s almost like a pesach kitchen.... minus the oven, the sink and the counters .... finally no more boxes!

LittleMissMama

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:30 pm
Unless the Pesach kitchen can cook the food for me, I just don't care for one. Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics