Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Must read Reading material for kids
Previous  1  2

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:39 pm
Rudyard Kipling and Jack London may have some books that your 11 year old would like, but much of their work is not very suitable for young children. For both authors, I think their stories focused on animals are more likely to be suitable (although they may be quite violent and sad/traumatic).

Their works featuring human protagonists I would preread or at least pre-skim before sharing with your children. Much of it is not suitable in my opinion.

Edit: much of their work is in the public domain, so you can preread the full text online for free.

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:47 pm
Elfrida wrote:
No, that's why I qualified it by saying you would need a kindle or similar. You download the files. Though I suppose you could download them in pdf format then print them. It would take a lot of paper.

A kindle isn't cheap, but isn't outrageously expensive, and with so many books available for free download is a good investment. Then you can keep the real books for Shabbos.

Other than my cell phone, we don’t have tech in the house so only hard copies. Thank you anyways for taking the time to respond

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:51 pm
The Pushcart War.

naomi2

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:53 pm
Johanna Horowitz and Ruth Chew authored some wholesome books.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:57 pm
Look up Image Cascade Publishing Co. It specializes in republishing "retro" wholesome girls' books from the the 1950s etc.
Catherine Woolley, Rosamond du Jardin, and others.

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:59 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
The Pushcart War.

TY will check it out!

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:03 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Johanna Horowitz and Ruth Chew authored some wholesome books.

Thanx will check it out!

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:03 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Look up Image Cascade Publishing Co. It specializes in republishing "retro" wholesome girls' books from the the 1950s etc.
Catherine Woolley, Rosamond du Jardin, and others.

Thank u

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:16 pm
When I was 11/12, my favorite author was Brian Jacques... Fantasy books about wars between different species of woodland animals. No s_xual content, but does contain violence.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:18 pm
Pamela wrote:
Other than my cell phone, we don’t have tech in the house so only hard copies. Thank you anyways for taking the time to respond

Most of the books I mentioned are also available in hard copy. It just means you have to buy them and find space to store them.

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:24 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Most of the books I mentioned are also available in hard copy. It just means you have to buy them and find space to store them.

Oh great! Thanks

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 2:32 pm
I haven't checked out chinuch.org's secular book list in a while. Great resource. I thought it was moved to kosherbooks.org.

Shoshie

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:09 pm
If you get the Bobbsey Twin books as recommended by Papaya, make sure you are buying the revised ones beginning in the '60s. The original books date back to 1904 and portray Blacks as they were unfortunately viewed at that time. The books were rewritten many years later to remove racial stereotypes.

I haven't read the All-of-a-Kind series in thousands of years, but I loved it when I was little. If you never read it, it's a five book series by Sydney Taylor about a Jewish family with five little girls growing up in the Lower East Side in the very very early 1900s. The first book was written in the early 1950s. If it's as good as I remember, it should please all little girls and there's certainly nothing objectionable (again, if I recall correctly).

shanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:41 pm
I also loved the Edward eager books (half magic etc...)
There were 7 of them

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:21 pm
Shoshie wrote:
If you get the Bobbsey Twin books as recommended by Papaya, make sure you are buying the revised ones beginning in the '60s. The original books date back to 1904 and portray Blacks as they were unfortunately viewed at that time. The books were rewritten many years later to remove racial stereotypes.

I haven't read the All-of-a-Kind series in thousands of years, but I loved it when I was little. If you never read it, it's a five book series by Sydney Taylor about a Jewish family with five little girls growing up in the Lower East Side in the very very early 1900s. The first book was written in the early 1950s. If it's as good as I remember, it should please all little girls and there's certainly nothing objectionable (again, if I recall correctly).

Thanks!! Will look into them!

Pamela

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:25 pm
shanarishona wrote:
I also loved the Edward eager books (half magic etc...)
There were 7 of them

Thank you all so much!! Now I have a whole list of books! Can’t wait to collect them all. Am I the only one that binge shops on books? I feel that you can never have too much reading material. As I said upthread, my kids don’t have any screens. So I spoil them with books, lots and lots of them. Can’t go wrong.

Thank you again all of you for taking the time to recommend all these books. Now we start shopping!

Bleemee

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:02 pm
Wizard of Oz- what age recommended ?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:02 pm
Bleemee wrote:
Wizard of Oz- what age recommended ?

Secular Booklist says it's grades 4-6. Scholastic website says grades 2-5. The language is a tiny bit antiquated occasionally because the books were written over 100 years ago, but otherwise they are not too complicated to understand.

https://shop.scholastic.com/te......html

The books by the original author are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/....._Baum

If you are browsing for them electronically, either shopping online or looking in the library catalogue, make sure you are getting the actual complete books and not a "take" on the books, such as a "graphic novel" or an abridged version or board book.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room