Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking to move, out of town kollel
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 3:57 pm
We live in Lakewood and are looking for a new (smaller) community. My job is remote and my husband would like to stay in kollel for another little bit so it seems like a good time to move. It's important to us that the community have good bais yaakov schooling options (no co-ed classes) and has a relatively lower cost of living - that knocks out Toronto, chicago and other big cities. Big plus if there no income tax (Florida, or Texas maybe?)
Seems like north miami beach might be a good option, any other ideas?

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We live in Lakewood and are looking for a new (smaller) community. My job is remote and my husband would like to stay in kollel for another little bit so it seems like a good time to move. It's important to us that the community have good bais yaakov schooling options (no co-ed classes) and has a relatively lower cost of living - that knocks out Toronto, chicago and other big cities. Big plus if there no income tax (Florida, or Texas maybe?)
Seems like north miami beach might be a good option, any other ideas?

Milwaukee? South Bend?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 4:59 pm
Dallas is a great community with a few Kollels

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:17 pm
Have you been in touch with the Lakewood people who specialize in placement?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:21 pm
We’re happy in Cleveland. There are a number of kollelim, but you have to get accepted.

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:26 pm
Chicago housing prices are very similar to Florida. If you look info NMB you may as well also look into chicago.

mra01385

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:31 pm
Silver spring, md. nice small community and not too far from Baltimore

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:24 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
We’re happy in Cleveland. There are a number of kollelim, but you have to get accepted.

Rumor has it that kollelim are accepting new avreichim.
Contact khal yereim (blum's) kollel and torah life kollel.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:20 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Have you been in touch with the Lakewood people who specialize in placement?

Thanks, I don't know where to start, Who are these people?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:21 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Dallas is a great community with a few Kollels

Thanks! Do you have contact information for the kollels there?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:21 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Chicago housing prices are very similar to Florida. If you look info NMB you may as well also look into chicago.

Hmm... Will check these out, thanks!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:22 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Rumor has it that kollelim are accepting new avreichim.
Contact khal yereim (blum's) kollel and torah life kollel.

Thanks, for personal reasons cleveland is not an option.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:23 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Milwaukee? South Bend?

Ty! Any more detailed information? Website or contact info?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:25 pm
mra01385 wrote:
Silver spring, md. nice small community and not too far from Baltimore

Ty, baltimore doesn't seem like the right place for us right now.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! Do you have contact information for the kollels there?

Check out “data dallas” online and you can browse the website.
There’s a few others but data is a great start.

Good luck!

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, I don't know where to start, Who are these people?

Is your husband in BMG? They have a placement committee for out of town kollels.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:25 pm
Because an out of town Kollel pays a substantial wage (compared to Lakewood), there is a limited number of yungerman accepted at any time. Out of town Kollelim are selective. Some expect a certain amount of contribution to the community, like learning with baalei batim at night, or outreach. Some even interview the wife, and want her to bring a contribution to the community (teach in the school, give outreach classes, provide a service that will enhance the community, etc). If you are really interested in the out of town kollel lifestyle, it would be best to contact someone like Rabbi Sroy Levitansky of BMG Placement to find out which Kollelim are currently accepting applications. You will also need references, and probably someone to push for you during the interview process. It can be competitive, depending on the city. I'm not sure how picky you can be about the cities when you are hoping to be hired in an out of town kollel....hatzlacha!!!

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:31 pm
South Bend would work (I think), our school is "coed" but don't let that scare you. The boys and girls have very little to do with each other. It's a fairly right-wing school, strong kollel community. Having a remote job is very common here, housing can be tight but it usually works out.
Check out the website.

https://www.facebook.com/JewishSouthBend/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:46 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Because an out of town Kollel pays a substantial wage (compared to Lakewood), there is a limited number of yungerman accepted at any time. Out of town Kollelim are selective. Some expect a certain amount of contribution to the community, like learning with baalei batim at night, or outreach. Some even interview the wife, and want her to bring a contribution to the community (teach in the school, give outreach classes, provide a service that will enhance the community, etc). If you are really interested in the out of town kollel lifestyle, it would be best to contact someone like Rabbi Sroy Levitansky of BMG Placement to find out which Kollelim are currently accepting applications. You will also need references, and probably someone to push for you during the interview process. It can be competitive, depending on the city. I'm not sure how picky you can be about the cities when you are hoping to be hired in an out of town kollel....hatzlacha!!!

Thanks! Is it possible to learn in one of these kollels without getting paid? Bh we don't need the kollel check, just want a place for him to be able to learn.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:47 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
Is your husband in BMG? They have a placement committee for out of town kollels.

No he's not in bmg
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating