Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Weird question...NEW UPDATE
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:32 pm
Ok. This may be a very strange question...

My baby (1 yr old) has several allergies. Over Pesach his diet was limited, since he couldn't eat oatmeal, which is his main food.

Today he got oatmeal again.
Afterwards he had an allergic reaction in which he needed an epipen injection.
There were no known new foods that he ingested so we have no idea what he reacted to. Other than oatmeal, he ate the same non -dairy yogurt he has been eating all week.

Is there any possibility that he developed an oatmeal allergy in the last week??

I know its a weird question but I don't know what to think. (I called his allergist but he won't be getting back to me until tomorrow.)

greenteaorange

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:05 pm
Wow so scary’!
Could be your baby developed some
Other allergy that can happen.
Did your baby ever get blood
Work to see what he is allergic to

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:17 pm
Refuah sheleimah to your baby!

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:21 pm
I actually tested (skin and blood) after having rashes and stuff and the only food item that showed any allergy was oats but very very trace. The allergist said I don’t have to avoid it. Oat allergies are no common bit not impossible. Weird though that it was this sudden. Could it be from anything else? Did the brand change any other ingredients ?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:25 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
Wow so scary’!
Could be your baby developed some
Other allergy that can happen.
Did your baby ever get blood
Work to see what he is allergic to

Yes, we got a complete workup and he is allergic to 5 foods.
I am not aware of him having eaten any of those foods today.
I started off the morning with oatmeal and almond milk. He lived on oatmeal every day for months until Pesach... Later on he had some non dairy yogurt- which he has had throughout yom tov.
Unless he put something in his mouth when none of us saw...it was all very strange. His lip blew up and didnt go down until after he got the epipen.

I just wondered if someone can develope an allergy suddenly like that.

greenteaorange

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:30 pm
I think it can happen that allergies just show up though is not super common. Could also be a product you gave him was made in a facility that produced something he was allergic too. Hopefully you’ll have more clarity tomorrow when you speak to his allergist!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:47 pm
greenteaorange wrote:
I think it can happen that allergies just show up though is not super common. Could also be a product you gave him was made in a facility that produced something he was allergic too. Hopefully you’ll have more clarity tomorrow when you speak to his allergist!

Thanks. I was just wondering if it made any sense and if I should avoid the oatmeal tomorrow. But it sounds like it's probably not that.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:51 pm
Could it be the almond milk?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 9:54 pm
My son has had “mystery” reactions - in which he didn’t eat any of his allergens.
I recommend staying away from the oatmeal for tomorrow. Till you’ve spoken with your allergist. Maybe if possible - stay away from anything he ate today until you speak to allergist. (I know, then there’s probably nothing for him to eat...)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:40 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Could it be the almond milk?

I don't know. He normally has the Almond Breeze brand but today I gave him the Liebers KLP brand.. Scratching Head

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 10:40 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
My son has had “mystery” reactions - in which he didn’t eat any of his allergens.
I recommend staying away from the oatmeal for tomorrow. Till you’ve spoken with your allergist. Maybe if possible - stay away from anything he ate today until you speak to allergist. (I know, then there’s probably nothing for him to eat...)

Exactly Sad

octopus

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:03 pm
Hi you gave the epi pen for a blown up lip? You didn't try Benadryl first?
Sometimes when a kid is getting sick they just start reacting to anything because their immune system is going haywire. My kid does that a day or two before running fever.

octopus

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:05 pm
I was told by my allergist that if I give an epi pen I MUST call hatzalah. Epi pen is for major allergic reactions. Child has to be observed after giving it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:49 pm
octopus wrote:
Hi you gave the epi pen for a blown up lip? You didn't try Benadryl first?
Sometimes when a kid is getting sick they just start reacting to anything because their immune system is going haywire. My kid does that a day or two before running fever.

I didn't give the epipen. The dr in urgent care did. And then she called EMS to take us to ER where he was under observation for 4 hours.

Also, I did try benadryl first, and called the allergist at the same time. He said to take him to urgent care.

I never heard that thing about reacting to anything because he might be getting sick. It definitely seemed to be an allergic reaction, since his symptoms went away about 20 minutes after receiving the epipen.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:55 pm
Does he have environmental allergies as well? It could be his immune system was revved, histamine bucket already full and he reacted more strongly.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:01 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Does he have environmental allergies as well? It could be his immune system was revved, histamine bucket already full and he reacted more strongly.

I dont know what the bolded means.
But, yes, he is allergic to dustmites. Apparently he is quite young to have developed that, but he did..

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:19 am
Please don’t have any doubts that you (the doctor) used the Epipen.
“Epi first, Epi fast”
I learned that from a food allergy Facebook group.
That said - everyone should make a specific “allergy plan” with their allergist that discusses when Benedryl is appropriate and when to use Epi.

About the histimine thing a previous poster mentioned- I’ve heard of that too and my son is having major environmental allergy flare ups right now (yes he’s super allergic to dust mites too) and it makes me nervous.

Re the different almond milk brand - that’s very interesting. Was yesterday his first time with that brand or was he using it the whole pesach? It’s worth looking into (cross contamination, shared equipment etc...)

I’m sorry if I’m overwhelming. I’m just a fellow food allergy mom

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:19 am
Would love if you could post back tomorrow what the allergist says...if you feel comfortable

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know. He normally has the Almond Breeze brand but today I gave him the Liebers KLP brand.. Scratching Head

Hopefully it's something to do with this brand change, and therefore an easy fix. Has he ever had the Liebers before?

Geulanow

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:26 am
Could it be mold related? Some oats can develop aproblem with a mold related toxin.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics