Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Best nut-free cow's milk alternative for 1 yr old?
Previous  1  2

jfk92

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:55 am
My ped isnt big into the bottles after formula esp if baby is eating well and getting nutrients from food. My 1 year old was definitely doing that bh. He did still like a bottle to sooth but we gave him oat milk (dairy allergy. We find soy and rice problematic) for that or even soup. Bh he is nearly 3, excellent weight and great bloodwork bh bh. I really dont see any loss to not giving bottles and bottles or cows milk bedafka. But again I had a good eater on my hands which I am very aware is NOT EVERY child.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:03 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I was advised to use goat's milk for my baby as well.
I was very grossed out at first but I tasted it and it tasted like cow's milk to me.
I also did a taste test for my bigger kids who wouldn't try it and when given 2 unmarked cups they couldn't tell the difference.

Did you need to check your child's iron levels?
I know a baby on goats milk who became severely ill but she is BH ok now.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:07 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Did you need to check your child's iron levels?
I know a baby on goats milk who became severely ill but she is BH ok now.

I didn't, but this wasn't a newborn.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:54 am
DD was lactose intolerant. Our pediatrician suggested rice milk, but only the FORTIFIED type. He was very insistent that we make sure that extra vitamins and minerals were added.

Aside from that, we made sure that she got very balanced meals. No need for any soy products at all.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:12 am
I want to avoid rice milk due to arsenic.

I guess I'll try soy or oat enriched with vitamins.

She doesn't get enough calcium without having milk.

MiriFr

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:30 am
My baby is also allergic to dairy and nuts, including coconut. I give him soy milk, the Silk Ultra one with 20 grams of protein. It’s high in fat, protein, and calcium.
He also loves fruit, which is full of nutrients. Would you baby eat oranges and clementines?

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:50 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Why is milk such a need? My one year old couldn't tolerate it so we did without.
Granted, he got all the nutrients and more he needed from other foods he ate.

It's quite difficult without milk. Milk has both protein and calcium. Kids under 1 who are not breastfed should get fortified formula with b12 and iron. Milk (or substitutes) can be given after the first birthday.

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 12:56 pm
OP make sure to check the calcium amount on the substitute you buy. Most of them are inferior to regular milk. Did you try yoghurt and cheeses? They have less lactose but good amounts of calcium. Also sesame products (although with the nut allergy it might be difficult)

nylon

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:26 pm
Speak to your pediatrician. Most nondairy milks are deficient in fat and protein (soy has more protein but not as much fat). Fine for cooking or as an occasional drink, but if a child is getting real nutrition from it (drinking a substantial amount per day) they should continue to receive a formula with the proper balance of nutrients. My pediatrician had us keep my DS on Nutramigen until he was 2 and use the alternatives only for cooking. (DS had MSPI which he outgrew in the end)

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:29 pm
What were you previously giving? Can you continue to nurse? Give formula for the time being? It’s not like you need to stop those at age one, just that other foods stayer to become the primary source of nutrition.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 1:33 pm
Something interesting to keep in mind about milk:

https://health.clevelandclinic.....ttle/

https://www.pcrm.org/news/blog.....unked

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 6:39 pm
shaqued_almond wrote:
OP make sure to check the calcium amount on the substitute you buy. Most of them are inferior to regular milk. Did you try yoghurt and cheeses? They have less lactose but good amounts of calcium. Also sesame products (although with the nut allergy it might be difficult)

I'm going to take her fully off dairy for a week and then reintroduce cheese and see what happens.

I was breastfeeding till now but at around 11 months my milk supply lessened and by now I get only about 8 oz breast milk.

Sesame products- I am scared because older siblings have allergies to a combo of sesame , nuts, peanuts, milk, eggs.
She for sure is allergic to eggs (broke out in hives); nothing else is for sure.
I need to take her to an allergist...

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 7:44 pm
I am not allergic and grew up without dairy. Never had milk. Bh I am fine. I never gave milk either and bh they are all fine. I do buy almond, and rice milk for them if they want with cereal.etc but I couldn't care less if they actually drink it.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:05 pm
A 1 year old who has a healthy diet of food does not NEED milk. DS stopped nursing on his own at 10 months and did not want milk. So he just didn’t have anything. My other child stopped taking milk at 14 months.

My pediatrician said to give foods that have calcium and essential fatty acids if you’re worried about lost nutrients. But a healthy, well balanced diet of whole foods is sufficient after a year.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:55 pm
One of my LOs had reactions to milk as a toddler but was fine with goat milk. The doctor was surprised because she didn't think there would be a difference. She eventually grew out of it and now drinks regular milk like everyone else.

Just make sure your child gets enough fat. My LO had a bit of a delay in speech and otherwise, and according to the doctor it was at least partially due to not having enough fat from when we stopped giving her milk. Fat is important for brain development in toddlers.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 8:59 pm
Goat milk. Sometime ppl react better to goat than cow.

Oat milk is disgusting it’s the goopy stuff at the top of a bowl of oatmeal. Also nut milks are missing everything you need from cows milk
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics