Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Attn amothers who use nothing on pesach
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 11:54 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I was just thinking. You don’t buy anything prepared in any way but the main thing matza you buy prepared. Matza is the only problem because it has flour and water and it might be chometz. You have someone else make it for you.

A lot of people go down to the matzah bakery and watch "their" matzos being baked for that reason. And check the matzos afterwards as well before bringing them home.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:03 am
tp3 wrote:
Would love to hear some cake and cookies recipes with limited ingredients. I have a total of one recipe- banana cake.

What's the recipe? I have absolutely zero cake and cookie recipes. We just make ices and sorbets.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You use more things than me from looking at this list and what about every day during chol hamoed breakfast, lunch and supper. Potatoes 5 different ways isn't that exciting and definitely takes away from the simcha.

Curious which things on the list you dont use- the only things I can think of is carrots and cucumbers which I know people dont and I couldve easily done without because I barely used it.
And I guess fish?
For breakfast you can give matzah, scrambled eggs, hash browns
I cook lots of fish- the men like it for breakfast or lunch.
And supper I did meat or chicken with some type od potatoes or apple thing

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:05 am
tp3 wrote:
It doesn't work well with liquid sugar. I tried many times.

Make before pesach with real.

I've made plantain wraps, plantain croutons, jicama tortilla wraps, kohlrabi coleslaw... You can expand your horizons.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:09 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Make before pesach with real.

I've made plantain wraps, plantain croutons, jicama tortilla wraps, kohlrabi coleslaw... You can expand your horizons.

Not if you don't use plantains or jicama...

For some people Pesach isn't about what they can't eat, it's limited to only some foods that they can eat. If there's no mesorah for eating something, they don't say ok, why not - they don't eat it.

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:17 am
tp3 wrote:
It doesn't work well with liquid sugar. I tried many times.

Italian ices is made with liquid sugar. Balabustas choice has a delicious citrus Italian ices recipe. It's really really good.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:17 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I was just thinking. You don’t buy anything prepared in any way but the main thing matza you buy prepared. Matza is the only problem because it has flour and water and it might be chometz. You have someone else make it for you.

Maybe if they would prepare all other food with the same amount of million stringencies as they do with matzah there would be what to talk about.
Also we dont just buy matzah in the supermarket or random bakery. We know that we trust this specific place

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:18 am
Love this thread!! So nice to hear from others doing similar.

We do use some milichig like butter, sour cream, cottage chees.
We use schmaltz, sugar ( used mainly in coffee because I don’t usually put sugar in my meats) coffee - most peelable veggies. Salt & . pepper. We do have carp and white gefilte.

Chol hamoed We do two meals usually. Brunch is usually scrambled eggs, matzah.
(If we need another meal the kids eat cheese, fruit, yogurts...)

Supper is soup and then chicken or meat and potatoes. Compote or cut up fruit. My family doesn’t love potatoes and will eat it more if it’s mashed so I do that a lot. Or I do oven home fries.
At least twice there are latkes but usually as dessert or snack.

We drink homemade OJ, grape juice or homemade lemonade.
I use a lot of wine to flavor meats.

It’s one week. It’s hardest erev yom Tov when there’s no matzah and the last day when we’ve just had to much already.

My parents didn’t eat milichig and my mother served scrambled eggs for breakfast too - made with schmaltz. There was also lots of faltshe fish for snacking (and of course instead of fish).

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:25 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Not if you don't use plantains or jicama...

For some people Pesach isn't about what they can't eat, it's limited to only some foods that they can eat. If there's no mesorah for eating something, they don't say ok, why not - they don't eat it.

I know exactly. I know ppl who don't even use avocado bc they didn't have it in Russia. One person made a huge deal and had a whole separate kitchen for her bummed out son who gasp wanted to use avocado on pesach.

I know others who don't use zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, eggplant (all seeds) or lettuce after the seder.

If you're one of those, you have two choices, suck it up or ease up. You can't also complain. I mean this sincerely but also kindly. Like what do you expect exactly if all you can literally eat is meat and potatoes...

Oh it gets better, I know a family who will only use chicken and fish that they personally fed the weeks before pesach and that's what they shecht.

If you think it's crazy, then loosen up your chumros. If you think it's beautiful, then embrace and don't complain you're choosing the crazy.

My reply was re using peeled vegetables.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:42 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Minute steak cooked in a pot with onions and beets.
French fries
Potato blintzes
Apple and pear compote
Potato latkes

What’s the recipe for the minute steak?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:58 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

In our families we actually don’t...
One side “rents” an 18 minute time slot in a shemurah matzah bakery, using their hand ground flour ((רשי) they observe their matzah being baked. Other side of the family uncles & cousins all get together in the family owned matzah bakery and bake their matzah. (Also רשי)

Majority of my family doesn’t use bought grape juice either and some kosher their own chickens for pesach or observe the shechhita and all (ok I admit. One side of the family does this all year long) So yes, literally nothing processed Smile

None of us complain or feel deprived. Love pesach and the joy it brings! Totally is allin the attitude...

Surrendered

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:03 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
What's the recipe? I have absolutely zero cake and cookie recipes. We just make ices and sorbets.

"1-2-3 Cookie!"
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 cups (1 bag) ground Filbert or almonds
Bake 10-15 minutes 350°

CHEWY AND DELICIOUS! Freezes well

Surrendered

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:05 am
Fruit leather!
Pour 1 can apple sauce in a lined cookie sheet.
Leave overnight on 190°

It'll be gone before you know it.
Mine was gone before pesach several times!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:07 am
farmom wrote:
We don't use herbs, garlic, or spices on pesach
My kids were so excited to make eggs with lots of herbs and spices for breakfast this morning LOL

I’d be fine with just salt, but everyone else cares....

Surrendered

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:08 am
Snow kisses!

Whisk up 5-6 egg whites till stiff.
Add 1 cup sugar. Whisk well with hand blender.

With spoon, pour onto cookie sheets. Spread quite apart cause it spreads out.

270° for 1 hour, till crispy.

Yummy treat

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:39 am
I honestly never knew any of this was a thing. Why is liquid sugar somehow better than regular sugar? If sugar contains elements of chometz, how is boiling it helpful?

And for that poster who’s father “matir neder” for coffee and milk, why can’t everyone just do that? Honestly it seems like a lot of show (look how little *I’m* allowed to eat).

If you love it, that’s great! But if you’re the OP and it’s torture, why not figure out another way of doing something that’s still Halacha but more palatable. Literally.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:59 am
one boils and pours the sugar through a cheesecloth so that any possible chometz is removed
this need be done before sof zman achilas chometz

any good deed one undertakes or does for longer period of time needs hataras nedarim to undo

gamanit

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:00 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I honestly never knew any of this was a thing. Why is liquid sugar somehow better than regular sugar? If sugar contains elements of chometz, how is boiling it helpful?

And for that poster who’s father “matir neder” for coffee and milk, why can’t everyone just do that? Honestly it seems like a lot of show (look how little *I’m* allowed to eat).

If you love it, that’s great! But if you’re the OP and it’s torture, why not figure out another way of doing something that’s still Halacha but more palatable. Literally.

Chametz isn't battul on pesach but it can be before. So if there's less than 1/1000th (or even 1/60th bdieved) of chametz in the sugar, if you cook it into a new maaachal before yom tov, any chamutz is battul and this mixture is ok to use on yom tov. We do not have this shittah but there is a logic to it.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I know exactly. I know ppl who don't even use avocado bc they didn't have it in Russia. One person made a huge deal and had a whole separate kitchen for her bummed out son who gasp wanted to use avocado on pesach.

I know others who don't use zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, eggplant (all seeds) or lettuce after the seder.

If you're one of those, you have two choices, suck it up or ease up. You can't also complain. I mean this sincerely but also kindly. Like what do you expect exactly if all you can literally eat is meat and potatoes...

Oh it gets better, I know a family who will only use chicken and fish that they personally fed the weeks before pesach and that's what they shecht.

If you think it's crazy, then loosen up your chumros. If you think it's beautiful, then embrace and don't complain you're choosing the crazy.

My reply was re using peeled vegetables.

Yes, this. I’ve been on diets when I literally only ate one food for a week. Pesach is 8 days. If you want to keep these chumros, enjoy them. If not, the processed foods you buy in the store all have wonderful hechsherim. Have your husband do hataras nedarim for you and move on. Your husband may not be willing to eat it, you may have to have separate dishes for him, but it beats being grumpy for a week.

pause

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:34 pm
Surrendered wrote:
"1-2-3 Cookie!"
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 cups (1 bag) ground Filbert or almonds
Bake 10-15 minutes 350°

CHEWY AND DELICIOUS! Freezes well

When you have to shell and chop all your nuts, this recipe takes hours. BTDT.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics