Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Living in Israel- Budgeting
Previous  1  2

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:15 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I think the biggest question is what kind of salary we are talking about. Does she have any qualifications? Is she going to be working an American job on line and getting an American salary? Is she able to work in her field in Israel? (Maybe including speaking Hebrew.) Will her visa allow her to work legally? If not she is likely to be limited to low paying semi-legal jobs with no benefits, and it will be a lot harder.

In my mostly chareidi neighbourhood of Jerusalem, a two room apartment seems to be around 3-4000 NIS per month.

A monthly bus pass around Jerusalem is 216 NIS per month.

Beyond fixed expenses it's very hard to estimate a budget for someone else. I think an initial budget needs to be estimated, but maybe adjusted after the first few months, when the couple see what they need on a weekly to monthly basis. They would need to keep track carefully, and be prepared to let go of some things they are used to in order to stay within budget.

It really depends on where you are living.
Where I live in Yerushalyim apartments are more like 5-6000 shek for a 2 bedroom

Elfrida

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:48 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
It really depends on where you are living.
Where I live in Yerushalyim apartments are more like 5-6000 shek for a 2 bedroom

They are here as well. I said two rooms, not two bedrooms. Two bedrooms would be a three room apartment, but a young kollel couple on a budget don't need to pay for an extra bedroom.

The kind of apartment I was referring to was one bedroom and one living room/kitchen.

Last edited by Elfrida on Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:57 pm
If any young families living in Israel with school aged children can share their budget, it would be much appreciated! We're moving this summer.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:42 pm
I'm a shana rishona couple living in yerushalayim but I BH have an american job that pays well. I can tell you what I spend, but I know many couples that spend WAY more or WAY less per month.

I would say the minimum (being realistic based on people I know) you can spend is this:

All in shekels

Rent: 3500 (in the Sanhedria/ramat eshkol/maalot dafna area for a smal 1 bedroom - anythign bigger is more like 4500)
Groceries: 1500 - but this depends a lot on how much meat/fish/american products you eat (I spend more like 2000)
Utilities: 600
Insurance: 100
Phone service: 50-100 (for kosher phones)

This is around 5700 shekels a month, not including; bus cards, any clothing, wash and sets, vaad habayit, haircuts, or any random purchases.

I know couples that live fine on 6000 but it is hard to make it every month.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:25 pm
Thanks, what about transportation? About how much would you say people typically spend if living locally in Jerusalem?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, what about transportation? About how much would you say people typically spend if living locally in Jerusalem?

A monthly bus pass (chofshi chodshi) which covers unlimited use on all buses and the light railway within Jerusalem costs 216 NIS per month. Travelling out of Jerusalem would cost more. If you aren't using buses regularly, you can just put money on your Rav Kav and top it up as necessary.

If you are taking cabs on a regular basis, obviously this is an additional expense.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:45 pm
When I lived in Yerushalayim, we were extremely frugal with transportation.

the only taxi trips were to the U.S. Consulate (now embassy) and the airport, and to and from the hospital for births bh.

My dh was in the mir, and there are special mir buses that are very discounted. He paid for one direction (walk home).

We rarely took busses. It wasn't worth it for us to buy a chofshi chodshi.

We lived in the Ramat eshkol/sanhedria murchevet area, and I used to walk to the iriya for arnona and misrad hapnim for visas.

Many ppl were not as frugal.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:55 pm
I get so jealous reading these threads Sad
I was in school when we got married and werent supported (both BTs)
our baby is 2 months old, do u think its at all possible we can redo our shana rishona in e"y in kollel? Sad
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics