Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Weird question...NEW UPDATE
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:41 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Hopefully it's something to do with this brand change, and therefore an easy fix. Has he ever had the Liebers before?

That was my thought.
Good luck and much strength!

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:41 am
you can develop an allergy to foods that were fine before. Happened to my child

Goldie613

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know. He normally has the Almond Breeze brand but today I gave him the Liebers KLP brand.. Scratching Head

No practical info but just wanted to let you know that a quick google search shows that those two brands have different ingredients. Don't know if any of them are triggers for you little one, but it might be worth looking into.

https://www.bluediamond.com/br.....LK%20(FILTERED%20WATER%2C%20ALMONDS),TOCOPHEROL%20(NATURAL%20VITAMIN%20E).

https://www.kahanskosher.com/s.....85995 (if you click on the pictures of the product you can read the ingredients)

Hope this helps!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:44 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Please don’t have any doubts that you (the doctor) used the Epipen.
“Epi first, Epi fast”
I learned that from a food allergy Facebook group.
That said - everyone should make a specific “allergy plan” with their allergist that discusses when Benedryl is appropriate and when to use Epi.

About the histimine thing a previous poster mentioned- I’ve heard of that too and my son is having major environmental allergy flare ups right now (yes he’s super allergic to dust mites too) and it makes me nervous.

Re the different almond milk brand - that’s very interesting. Was yesterday his first time with that brand or was he using it the whole pesach? It’s worth looking into (cross contamination, shared equipment etc...)

I’m sorry if I’m overwhelming. I’m just a fellow food allergy mom

Thanks so much.
My baby's doctors also told me not to hesitate to use the Epipen. However, I was hesitant anyway, and since I live one minute from the urgent care, I ran there instead. The dr. In the urgent care checked his breathing and other things and was very nervous about him. So she called EMS and then gave him the injection.

Regarding the almond milk, yes, I believe it was the first time he had that almond milk brand. I don't know if this matters but he had the oatmeal and almond milk a few hours before the whole incident.

Afterwards he had only this yogurt he's been eating all pesach. There's always the possibility that he put something in his mouth but no one saw anything...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:50 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Would love if you could post back tomorrow what the allergist says...if you feel comfortable

Ok, I will. Turns out we actually have an appointment tomorrow (I had forgotten I made this appointment at ourr last visit), so I'll be able to discuss it in person. Hopefully get some answers.
Thanks to all of you for your feedback and support. This is the second time he has been hospitalized for an allergic reaction and its so nerve wracking.

octopus

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:53 am
you posted a very different scenario second time around. Basically you said that your kids lip blew up so you gave an epi pen. No mention of benadryl, no mention of it not working, or going to urgent care. No need to second guess yourself at all, but it was a fair question.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 11:56 am
Just want to send your hugs, OP. That's super frightening. Hug. Stay strong.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:53 pm
octopus wrote:
you posted a very different scenario second time around. Basically you said that your kids lip blew up so you gave an epi pen. No mention of benadryl, no mention of it not working, or going to urgent care. No need to second guess yourself at all, but it was a fair question.

Sorry..the first time I posted I was sitting in the emergency room just confused. My main question was if it could possibly be the oatmeal, if he had been fine with it for months. I didn't go through all the details because it wasn't relevant.

I tried reaching the allergist and he still hasn't called me back. I just wanted to know if I should not give him any oatmeal today.

In the past, I could usually make a clear connection between the food and the allergen. Now I'm just confused, which is a bit scary. (I dont think it was the oatmeal. Maybe it was the almond milk which was actually the only new thing he had. Not the almond milk itself- but the brand. )

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:19 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Just want to send your hugs, OP. That's super frightening. Hug. Stay strong.

Thank you so much.
This is my first kid with allergies. As much as I have spoken to doctors, its helpful to know that there are all these experienced moms out there.

Just to clarify about the blown up lip...
What actually happened was first that he vomited - a lot. He was gulping and gulping until emptied his whole body out. He was in the car, so we thought it was nausea. Came home and put him in the bath. He was rubbing his eyes a lot and his face was red. While in the bath I noticed he couldn't close his mouth. He was sneezing and crying and drool was coming out of his mouth. He had a bit of hypopigmentation on his lower lip and it was jutting out. At that point, I gave him a bit of benadryl. Dr said take him to urgent care and the Dr there was concerned with his lip/jaw. She thought his tongue was also swollen.

She asked me to nurse him, and he tried, but his mouth wouldn't close. It was so odd.
Also, he was sneezing a lot and tons of mucus came out (and he had no prior conjestion).

After she gave him the injection, about 20 minutes later, his mouth suddenly went back to normal, no drooling or conjestion.

Does any of this make sense to anyone?

MiriFr

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much.
This is my first kid with allergies. As much as I have spoken to doctors, its helpful to know that there are all these experienced moms out there.

What actually happened was first that he vomited - a lot. He was in the car, so we thought it was nausea. Came home and put him in the bath. While in the bath I noticed he couldn't close his mouth. He was sneezing and crying and drool was coming out of his mouth. He had a bit of hypopigmentation on his lower lip and it was jutting out. At that point I gave him a bit of benadryl. Dr said take him to urgent care and Dr was concerned with his lip/jaw. She thought his tongue was also swollen.

She asked me to nurse him, and he tried, but his mouth wouldn't close. It was so odd.
Also, he was sneezing a lot and tons of mucus came out (and he had no prior conjestion).

After she gave him the injection, about 20 minutes later, his mouth suddenly went back to normal, no drooling or conjestion.

Poor baby Sad
This makes a tons of sense. All of those can be signs of anaphylaxis. You did the right thing.
What doesn’t make so much sense is how sudden this was. Has he ever had any eczema, hives, or rashes in the past that seemed out of the blue?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:32 pm
MiriFr wrote:
Poor baby Sad
This makes a tons of sense. All of those can be signs of anaphylaxis. You did the right thing.
What doesn’t make so much sense is how sudden this was. Has he ever had any eczema, hives, or rashes in the past that seemed out of the blue?

Yes, he has a history of eczema. The worst reaction was after eating bamba the first time. That was the first time he got the epipen. (His whole face blew up)
I have seen him break out in hives once before after licking some milk that spilled on the floor. Ever since doing testing, we are pretty careful to keep him away from the allergens.
I havent seen anything like this that I could not explain.

HakarasHatov

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:37 pm
Could be he reacted to a new chemical in the new yogurt,

Or he was allergic to oatmeal and since he was off of it for a week he is more sensitive now

Or he was exposed to an environmental allergen (there are so many), and maybe you don't know he is allergic yet.

Please update us after you chat with your doctor.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:38 pm
Your son always had a low oatmeal allergy Maybe a type 4 sensitivity and he was being self treated by giving oatmeal and his body became tolerant of it ( like ppl who get allergy shots to pollen) After stopping for a week this “self treatment” also stopped and he likely developed more of a type 1 sensitivity and when you REstarted he had a huge reaction. It’s like people who take allergy shots and then they missfor a while and then they come back and get the same dose they may have a reaction. That’s why I’m not a Fan of elimination diet for eczema for no apparent reason other than someone’s grandmother said milk or wheat can cause eczema. By eliminating certain foods your body can develop serious allergies if they already have a low level of allergy to them in the first place.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, he has a history of eczema. The worst reaction was after eating bamba the first time. That was the first time he got the epipen. (His whole face blew up)
I have seen him break out in hives once before after licking some milk that spilled on the floor. Ever since doing testing, we are pretty careful to keep him away from the allergens.
I havent seen anything like this that I could not explain.

Obviously there’s no rule, but generally if the first reaction is hives, the second one is usually anaphylaxis.
Maybe there was cross contamination in the factory. Or maybe he always was allergic but didn’t show a visible reaction, and starting after stopping could have shocked his system. Or maybe he got ahold of some food when you weren’t looking. My baby did that last week and immediately broke out.
I hope you figure it out soon! Allergies are the worst.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:08 pm
Wow, that’s a lot of symptoms of anaphylaxis! The epipen was 1000% the right choice here.

I hear what others are saying about the oatmeal - could be. My bigger suspicion is the almond milk - something in the new brand. But I have no idea. I still recommend keeping him away from both until your allergist appointment. (The yogurt doesn’t concern me really, but again, I have no idea)

Hugs! It’s hard!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:26 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Your son always had a low oatmeal allergy Maybe a type 4 sensitivity and he was being self treated by giving oatmeal and his body became tolerant of it ( like ppl who get allergy shots to pollen) After stopping for a week this “self treatment” also stopped and he likely developed more of a type 1 sensitivity and when you REstarted he had a huge reaction. It’s like people who take allergy shots and then they missfor a while and then they come back and get the same dose they may have a reaction. That’s why I’m not a Fan of elimination diet for eczema for no apparent reason other than someone’s grandmother said milk or wheat can cause eczema. By eliminating certain foods your body can develop serious allergies if they already have a low level of allergy to them in the first place.

So this is my question...if this could be. And does it make sense to have such a severe reaction after not eating it for 9 days, when he always seemed totally fine with it. He had it every single day, sometines twice a day.

(I'm really really hoping its not the oatmeal.. Sad .)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 2:37 pm
MiriFr wrote:
Obviously there’s no rule, but generally if the first reaction is hives, the second one is usually anaphylaxis.
Maybe there was cross contamination in the factory. Or maybe he always was allergic but didn’t show a visible reaction, and starting after stopping could have shocked his system. Or maybe he got ahold of some food when you weren’t looking. My baby did that last week and immediately broke out.
I hope you figure it out soon! Allergies are the worst.

Can you explain what you mean by by the bolded?
Do you mean that if the first reaction to a specific allergen is hives, then the next time he is exposed to the same allergen he would have anaphylaxis?
Or this is true for any allergen, meaning the first reaction was to peanuts, and the second one to something else?

octopus

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much.

What actually happened was first that he vomited - a lot. He was gulping and gulping until emptied his whole body out. He was in the car, so we thought it was nausea. Came home and put him in the bath. He was rubbing his eyes a lot and his face was red. While in the bath I noticed he couldn't close his mouth. He was sneezing and crying and drool was coming out of his mouth. He had a bit of hypopigmentation on his lower lip and it was jutting out. At that point, I gave him a bit of benadryl. Dr said take him to urgent care and the Dr there was concerned with his lip/jaw. She thought his tongue was also swollen.

Oy! That sounds awful! Refuah shleima!

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So this is my question...if this could be. And does it make sense to have such a severe reaction after not eating it for 9 days, when he always seemed totally fine with it. He had it every single day, sometines twice a day.

(I'm really really hoping its not the oatmeal.. Sad .)

Well they will do the prick test and than the blood test if prick is negative. A good allergist will wait 4 weeks or at least take any immediate testing with a grain of salt to have an honest testing as the anaphylactic episode “used up” the allergic antibodies. If it’s all negative after 4 weeks then The probability that it’s the oats is very low to nil as the testing is highly sensitive.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:10 pm
I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

Just thinking outside the box. Any chance you used a new cleaning product? Or could baby have been wearing new clothes (that were not prewashed?)

Last year I wore some new clothes from Costco. I didn’t prewash them (like I should have). After wearing them all day I broke out in a rash all over my body and my face/lips started to swell up. I ended up going to the ER for treatment. The ER doctor and I figured I most likely had some sort allergic reaction to a chemical on the clothes. After I washed the clothes, I never had an allergic reaction to clothes again.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics