Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking to move, out of town kollel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:02 am
If you're not looking to get hired by a kollel, look into Cincinnati. There are men who learn there without a kollel paycheck.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:58 am
OP, what do you do? (Sounds great)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:47 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If you're not looking to get hired by a kollel, look into Cincinnati. There are men who learn there without a kollel paycheck.

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
OP, what do you do? (Sounds great)

I work in tech. Very blessed to have a great job that allows me such flexibility.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:47 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
South Bend would work (I think), our school is "coed" but don't let that scare you. The boys and girls have very little to do with each other. It's a fairly right-wing school, strong kollel community. Having a remote job is very common here, housing can be tight but it usually works out.
Check out the website.

https://www.facebook.com/JewishSouthBend/

South Bend is pretty co-ed. The boys and girls hate each other (not an exaggeration) and there's a ton of boy girl politics. I'm not sure it's a good fit...

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 1:49 pm
cincinnati sounds like it would likely be a good fit.

esther990

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:02 pm
Chicago

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:13 pm
esther990 wrote:
Chicago

Thank you, can you tell me more about the community there? Are young families moving in?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:38 pm
Cincinnati OH

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No he's not in bmg
I would contact the bmg office anyway. My father has a Kollel out of town and they always look for new members through the bmg office. That’s what they’re set up to do.
Unless you don’t care if your husband has an official slot because you don’t need a Kollel check, in which case you can definitely look on your own.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:49 pm
Detroit, MI
few different kollelim. nice out of town. solid schools. cheaper housing than chicago, although it has gone up recently

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:50 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I would contact the bmg office anyway. My father has a Kollel out of town and they always look for new members through the bmg office. That’s what they’re set up to do.
Unless you don’t care if your husband has an official slot because you don’t need a Kollel check, in which case you can definitely look on your own.

Some/Many kollels might still need you to interview and be accepted.
Of course they allow anyone to sit and learn in the Bais Medrash, but to get chavrusos, join and give chaburos and ultimately be eligible for any benefits, there might have to be a formal acceptance.
Benefits include tuition reduction, yom tov assistance, references for "kodesh" jobs like tutoring, Rebbi, hashgacha, etc. Being allowed to bring homemade food to the kollel, using the kollel facilities (for bris or kiddush) for reduced rates, guaranteed yomim noraim seats, etc
All of the above are benefits offered in various kollels.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:00 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Some/Many kollels might still need you to interview and be accepted.
Of course they allow anyone to sit and learn in the Bais Medrash, but to get chavrusos, join and give chaburos and ultimately be eligible for any benefits, there might have to be a formal acceptance.
Benefits include tuition reduction, yom tov assistance, references for "kodesh" jobs like tutoring, Rebbi, hashgacha, etc. Being allowed to bring homemade food to the kollel, using the kollel facilities (for bris or kiddush) for reduced rates, guaranteed yomim noraim seats, etc
All of the above are benefits offered in various kollels.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Most of those benefits don't apply, as we don't have children yet and he doesn't plan on staying in kollel very long nor does he want a "kodesh" job. I'd really like to find a nice community that we'd fit into that would allow him to learn in the kollel with a chavrusa until he's ready to go to work.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:01 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

Thank you, I was under the assumption that BMG only helps if you learn there - I will look into this.

L25

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:02 pm
does he know what he wants to do after kollel. you might want to take that in to consideration when choosing where to live unless you are willing to move again soon.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:04 pm
If you don't need the kollel check and this is not a long term situation my DH currently learns in a kollel and for a small monthly donation they set him up with a chavrusa. If he has his own chavrusa there definitely shouldn't be any issue. Every kollel I know of allows anyone to come and sit and learn.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:08 pm
L25 wrote:
does he know what he wants to do after kollel. you might want to take that in to consideration when choosing where to live unless you are willing to move again soon.

He has some ideas which aren't very location specific either. It's more about finding a community that fits.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:10 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
If you don't need the kollel check and this is not a long term situation my DH currently learns in a kollel and for a small monthly donation they set him up with a chavrusa. If he has his own chavrusa there definitely shouldn't be any issue. Every kollel I know of allows anyone to come and sit and learn.

That sounds like something he'd be interested in. He would need them to help set up a chavrusa.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That sounds like something he'd be interested in. He would need them to help set up a chavrusa.

Then you should just make a decision about where you want to live and then contact the kollels there. Hatzlacha

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:30 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Then you should just make a decision about where you want to live and then contact the kollels there. Hatzlacha

Thank you, yes this is what I meant when I started the thread, before I was told that he needs to be accepted by the kollel. Would love ideas of communities that seem to be a good fit, with young families.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating