Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Attn amothers who use nothing on pesach
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

pause

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:35 pm
Surrendered wrote:
Fruit leather!
Pour 1 can apple sauce in a lined cookie sheet.
Leave overnight on 190°

It'll be gone before you know it.
Mine was gone before pesach several times!

When you need to peel, core and cube and cook your apples to make your own applesauce, the miniscule amount of fruit leather you get out of all those apples is not worth the effort.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 5:56 pm
It really irks me when the magazines print recipes and say things like "omit the garlic if your minhag doesn't allow it....", but what about the honey/mayonnaise/ketchup/sauces etc. in that same recipe? I'd imagine that most people who don't use garlic also don't use processed ingredients.

I guess I can substitute sugar for the honey
Make my own mayonnaise (I don't bother. We're not very into mayo and why bother for a week)
I don't know anyone who bothers making her own ketchup.

tp3

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:03 pm
pause wrote:
When you need to peel, core and cube and cook your apples to make your own applesauce, the miniscule amount of fruit leather you get out of all those apples is not worth the effort.

True
Although my kids enjoy slicing bananas thin and dehydrating them into chips in the oven.
I've done it with apples but that's not as good for a kid-friendly activity.

tp3

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:07 pm
pause wrote:
When you have to shell and chop all your nuts, this recipe takes hours. BTDT.

It does.
This year I covered the table with an extra layer of plastic and all my kids sat around and cracked nuts together so it didn't take as long.
The one banana cake recipe I use needs one cup of nuts. And that takes time too. 3 cups can take forever.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:15 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
It really irks me when the magazines print recipes and say things like "omit the garlic if your minhag doesn't allow it....", but what about the honey/mayonnaise/ketchup/sauces etc. in that same recipe? I'd imagine that most people who don't use garlic also don't use processed ingredients.

I guess I can substitute sugar for the honey
Make my own mayonnaise (I don't bother. We're not very into mayo and why bother for a week)
I don't know anyone who bothers making her own ketchup.

That's silly. I've seen the garlic optional written in more basic recipes (including mayo, lemon and and orange juice as basic though, because a lot of people make their own).

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:16 pm
pause wrote:

I make a few batches of applesauce in the crockpot. I get everyone at home to peel and core on a plastic tablecloth.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Let's list our favorite recipes. I'll go first.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Nothing.

I’m sorry if this wasn’t supposed to be funny but I burst out laughing.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:33 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
That's silly. I've seen the garlic optional written in more basic recipes (including mayo, lemon and and orange juice as basic though, because a lot of people make their own).

What's silly?

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:41 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
What's silly?

Silly that they would write garlic optional when ketchup us another ingredient.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:44 pm
OP we literally eat nothing.
I don't look for recipes because they just frustrate me.
We don't eat anything from the grocery with the exception of matza and wine and eggs and salt which we we buy very coarse check and then grind ourselves.
We don't even buy chopped meat or chopped fish. Whole chickens, fish, roasts.
We don't use any spices or herbs or any leafy greens only ones that are peelable. No garlic. No lettuce aside for at marror.
We shell our own nuts and don't use peels even if we prepare before pesach. My husband buy green coffee beans, roasts and grinds them himself.
It's not easy and every year I feel like giving up but I know my attitude is what my kids pick up. I casually talked about making changes and my kids were horrified. Go figure.

It's only 8 days. And I deserve an award.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:46 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
We don't eat anything from the grocery with the exception of matza and wine and eggs and salt which we we buy very coarse check and then grind ourselves.
We don't use any spices or herbs or any leafy greens only ones that are peelable. No garlic. No lettuce aside for at marror.
We shell our own nuts and don't use peels even if we prepare before pesach. My husband buy green coffee beans, roasts and grinds them himself.
It's not easy and every year I feel like giving up but I know my attitude is what my kids pick up. I casually talked about making changes and my kids were horrified. Go figure.

You do! Hope you're treating yourself to something now that Pesach is over.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:53 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Silly that they would write garlic optional when ketchup us another ingredient.

Yeah, well, I never thought about substituting sugar for honey. I automatically nix any recipes that called for ingredients I don't use.

I think I'm grateful for all the products we do use, after reading the thread.

We use meat and poultry.
Any vegetables that can be peeled, other than garlic or mushrooms. I assume no cabbage either. Anything prepared before Pesach does not need to be peeled. We'll use the leftover romaine lettuce throughout Pesach.
Cocoa, oil, sugar, potato starch, ground nuts
Salt, pepper, paprika, cinnamon
No fish

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:00 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Yeah, well, I never thought about substituting sugar for honey. I automatically nix any recipes that called for ingredients I don't use.

I think I'm grateful for all the products we do use, after reading the thread.

We use meat and poultry.
Any vegetables that can be peeled, other than garlic or mushrooms. I assume no cabbage either. Anything prepared before Pesach does not need to be peeled. We'll use the leftover romaine lettuce throughout Pesach.
Cocoa, oil, sugar, potato starch, ground nuts
Salt, pepper, paprika, cinnamon
No fish

If sugar works like honey, the recipe developer should be trying it and then recommending that as an option in the recipe.

gamanit

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:10 pm

Did you read the recipe I posted up thread? Fully compatible with your restrictions.

tp3

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:10 pm

We must be related. And we both deserve an award.
I changed a few things and I wish I can change more but I don't know how to explain that to my kids.
I buy ground fish and meat now. Disaster happened when I tried to grind it myself in my food processor.
We don't grind coffee beans but maybe we should try it. Giving up coffee is hard for us.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:42 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
If sugar works like honey, the recipe developer should be trying it and then recommending that as an option in the recipe.

Brown sugar is a substitute for honey.
Regular sugar is not the same.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:45 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Brown sugar is a substitute for honey.
Regular sugar is not the same.

That's why the developers should care and try it, then make applicable suggestions. Sometimes boiling sugar and water to make a syrup is enough. Sometimes it's not. It depends on the recipe.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:53 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
What’s the recipe for the minute steak?

Layer Onions- can be caramelized before but with NO OIL
Minute steak
Beets
In stainless steel pot
Cook for 5-10 minutes
Add water to almost cover
Cover and Cook for 45 minutes on low until sauce thickens.

You can add more layers if your pot is deep enough.
Example-
Caramelized Onions
Minute steak
Beets
Caramelized Onions
Minute steak
Beets

pause

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 8:05 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I make a few batches of applesauce in the crockpot. I get everyone at home to peel and core on a plastic tablecloth.

I do the same in a few huge pots, but at least we then have applesauce. Lots of it.

I would not want to shrink those apples even more by making fruit leather that gets eaten way faster and sooner than applesauce, which is already about a 1/5 of its original size.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 8:07 pm
tp3 wrote:
We must be related. And we both deserve an award.
I changed a few things and I wish I can change more but I don't know how to explain that to my kids.
I buy ground fish and meat now. Disaster happened when I tried to grind it myself in my food processor.
We don't grind coffee beans but maybe we should try it. Giving up coffee is hard for us.

My mother grinds her own fish for gefilte fish but uses ground meat.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics