Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Whooping cough vaccine for family
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:16 pm
my friend just had a baby and made her siblings and parents get whooping cough vaccine.
whats the point of it if none of them have whooping cough to begin with?

my doctor keeps mentioning it to me but I dont c the point. how is it transmitted?

happy chick

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:20 pm
Your friend had to take the vaccine when she was pg and thats supposed to protect the baby until s/he is old enough to get the vaccine. If she did, then her baby should be covered. And if she didn't , she can't make her family payfor her carelessness.
Ps - one of my kids got whopping cough after I got vaccinated when I was pg.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:22 pm
Whooping cough doesn't always show in adults, but can be easily lethal to babies. So to try to keep baby safe until she's old enough for her own Tdap, everyone who has significant contact with baby should get the shot to make sure they're not a carrier.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:25 pm
Doctors recommend that anyone who will be around the baby should have up-to-date vaccinations for pertussis. That means having a booster within the past 10 years.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:28 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Whooping cough doesn't always show in adults, but can be easily lethal to babies. So to try to keep baby safe until she's old enough for her own Tdap, everyone who has significant contact with baby should get the shot to make sure they're not a carrier.

why would they need to get tdap if they dont have whooping cough though

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:29 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Doctors recommend that anyone who will be around the baby should have up-to-date vaccinations for pertussis. That means having a booster within the past 10 years.

ah, ok
newbie mom here so im still learning the ropes

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:31 pm

Except for the minor detail that the vaccine does not prevent someone from being a carrier... But it makes people feel good.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 6:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
why would they need to get tdap if they dont have whooping cough though

Because it's one of those things that you can have without knowing you have it.

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:49 pm
My opinion, I've used almost as many drs as kids I have. I was never offered the dtap vaccine untill 3 yrs ago. I took it. But won't again. Tetanus vaccine is needed every 10 yrs. This is a new mishigas for somebody who wants to make money. Why after all these yrs did they wake up and decide that it's imp to take the dtap to protect the baby. Now it's dtap, tomorrow its measels, and then the heps.

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:51 pm
Because it's one of those things that you can have without knowing you have it.

Whopping cough you can have without knowing?? How? My son had whopping cough supposedly a mild case. You bet I knew he has it. There's was no way I couldn't know unless I'm a neglectful parent.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:54 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Whopping cough you can have without knowing?? How? My son had whopping cough supposedly a mild case. You bet I knew he has it. There's was no way I couldn't know unless I'm a neglectful parent.

In adults.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 7:58 pm
tweety1 wrote:
My opinion, I've used almost as many drs as kids I have. I was never offered the dtap vaccine untill 3 yrs ago. I took it. But won't again. Tetanus vaccine is needed every 10 yrs. This is a new mishigas for somebody who wants to make money. Why after all these yrs did they wake up and decide that it's imp to take the dtap to protect the baby. Now it's dtap, tomorrow its measels, and then the heps.

Sounds like your question is more why can’t they give pertussis alone without the rest of dtap

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 8:02 pm
tweety1 wrote:

If you’ve had it within the past 10 years they don’t usually offer it even during pregnancy. As long as you’re up to date but since many adults aren’t that’s why they recommend a pregnant woman gets a booster. But if she has 3 kids in 3 years she won’t be getting one every year.

I don’t know but I’m of the opinion to protect myself and my child as best I possibly can. Tdap can do that.
I also ask that anyone who’s spending significant time with my baby especially before the newborn gets their vaccines, will be up to date with all vaccines especially tdap and mmr.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 8:09 pm
A friend of mine had slightly preemie twins. They were in the NICU for a month and a half. Finally they were able to come home. They were home for a week, and then dad felt a little under the weather. Maybe a cold, or maybe it was just allergies, they thought.

It turns out it was pertussis, and the babies went back into the NICU for 3 more months. The mom was devastated, she barely got her babies home, and now they were gone again.

The whole family had to be on antibiotics, have their titers tested, and get booster shots as needed.

B'H the babies came through, but only because the doctors caught it in time.

I'll never forget when I had whooping cough, when I was 9. It was the scariest thing I'd ever felt. It was like I had a plastic bag stuck in my lungs, and every time I tried to breathe the bag was getting in the way, making it hard for me to get any air in. I had to hang over the side of the bed all night, crying from fear and coughing weakly, trying to breathe. Imagine having the worst cold ever, times 100. I remember it like it was yesterday.

DD was allergic to the pertussis vaccine, and because of all the hippy moms in our state, whooping cough was epidemic in all day cares and preschools. No Torah Tots, no gan, no pre-K. DD couldn't be around large groups of kids until she turned 5, when her lungs were strong enough to survive in case of exposure. She started in Kindergarten, and was very socially behind all the other kids who had known each other for several years at that point.

Still, there are always going to be people who will insist that pertussis is not a big deal, and just part of childhood. Just like there are people who say that Covid is just like the flu, and no big deal. Banging head

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 8:11 pm
Officially you are supposed to get it with each baby. 14 pregnancies 2 years apart, 14 DPTs.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 8:15 pm
My doctor advises that women should get the tdap during every pregnancy, and anyone who spends time with the baby should have had it in the last 10 years. Which is recommends for all adults anyway, whether they are around babies or not. But I would never demand that my siblings and parents take it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 8:19 pm
Quote:

I was given DTAP 14 yrs ago with my first pregnancy and with all subsequent.
Also many doctors do test for measles titers while pregnant as part of the routine bloodwork. They won't give the vaccine, just to know if you need to be extra cautious

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:03 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
If you’ve had it within the past 10 years they don’t usually offer it even during pregnancy. As long as you’re up to date but since many adults aren’t that’s why they recommend a pregnant woman gets a booster. But if she has 3 kids in 3 years she won’t be getting one every year.

I don’t know but I’m of the opinion to protect myself and my child as best I possibly can. Tdap can do that.
I also ask that anyone who’s spending significant time with my baby especially before the newborn gets their vaccines, will be up to date with all vaccines especially tdap and mmr.

My regular PCP gave it to me abt 2-3 years prior. I even called the secretary at my pcps office while I was in the office to get the exact date. My ob/gyn says they strongly advise taking it at every pregnancy even if you have 12 months apart. I went to PCP to get it. I'm very on top of it. I think it's an imp vaccine. But hello, to get it at every pregnancy is a little ridiculous. I'm gonna fight next time. The sky is the limit.

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:05 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Quote:

I was given DTAP 14 yrs ago with my first pregnancy and with all subsequent.
Also many doctors do test for measles titers while pregnant as part of the routine bloodwork. They won't give the vaccine, just to know if you need to be extra cautious

Sure. If I remember correctly they check the titers for MMR and chicken pox. My sil titers we're not good for measels and the hospital refused to discharge her before she takes the vaccine. This was somewhere in NY.

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 10:06 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Officially you are supposed to get it with each baby. 14 pregnancies 2 years apart, 14 DPTs.

It's really absurd if you ask me. Totally unnecessary.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics